PDA

View Full Version : Young street, Grenada

2003maryann
11-24-2007, 09:38 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-24-2007/20472_item104aorigWC.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-24-2007/20472_item104aorigWC.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Young street, Grenada
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 8 by 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
always wanted to try a street scene in Grenada.<br>Young Street is busy with vendors outside of oher shops, people are varied and interesting and a challenge. I have problems wth total black people and could only indicate a face. I did this face 3 or 4 times over the original one and this is what I ended up with. What do you think of this black face and does it fit? Am I too relaxed in detail about the street? How can I improve this street scene?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
As stated above, how can I improve on this street scene. Is it childish in composition? THis is my first street attempt putting some of the activity I saw in it and leaving others out.

thomas w
11-24-2007, 11:10 AM
The composition works for me. I like the simple drama in all the figures postures. The face turned out fine, and the rest of it has a light sketch like appearance that I can appreciate. Good work.
Thomas W

2003maryann
11-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Thank you Thomas W. for your input. I have just arrived in Venezuela and am looking forward to many other scenes to paint. Last month I did about five painting . It was about 8 months not doing anyting then inspiration took hold in Trinidad and Grenada. Young Street being one of them. I am happy to be back with Wet Canvas again.
2003maryann

MRSBB
11-24-2007, 01:27 PM
RE: Grenada. You really convey the feel of the people and the city. Think your colors are nice. It works for me...........Lenore

Dana Design
11-24-2007, 01:53 PM
You asked about the "black" face...don't think of it as black...think of it as a myriad of colors. I think that if you placed some highlights on the face directed toward the viewer, you'd have this painting nailed. Scrub out some color on the tops of her cheeks, the bottom lip, the forehead where the forehead turns into the hairline. And don't forget the top of her arm and hands.

Nice!

2003maryann
11-24-2007, 05:10 PM
MSBB,Dana Design, Thank you for your input. My problem started when I decided to use the canvas which I gessoed for this watercolor. I usually use paper but wanted to see if watercolor would take on the canvas material.
What happened was I initially used light color overall including the black lady's face. She was perfect. Then I went back and tried to darken the colors and the paint came away all together.???? Again and again it kept coming off, the paint, so I gessoed the face over with white gesso and redid her. Never could get back the original feel of her face and that is why I left just the impression you see. Thank you, 2003maryann

2003maryann
11-25-2007, 09:49 AM
question? How do I post on watercolor or acrylic instead of critque forum?

Dana Design
11-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Just go to whatever forum you want and start a new thread. It's as easy as posting here! Good luck!