PDA

View Full Version : Winter is here! (II)

Miko
11-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Finally I had time to go ahead with my winter - landscape. I began with painting the shadow - and it was a mistake! That will remain the weakest part of that painting. I never painted a shadow of this size before - so you see I'm still learning.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2007/112879-CIMG1009.JPG

A very thin layer of French Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna made it less painful to the eyes (at least I think so).On my reference - photo (I took it last winter) I can see a lot of smaller and bigger deepenings in the snow - and of course I had no idea how to paint them and how many. But on CharM's Homepage (great paintings - I love that "Snowman"!) I found a painting which was a great help for me. So I could find a way that worked.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2007/112879-CIMG1013.JPG
Well - I think it's almost finished. I think I should add some details like dry blades of grass.
What I find strange is: The more I paint the less content I am with my results.
Although I still struggle with them: I begin to find the world of shadows fantastic and very interesting!
Will - time to submit my thread.
I am very open for ALL kinds of critique!
Gerhard

gemineye
11-24-2007, 02:40 PM
This is looking great!! The shadows of the impressions in the snow are very well done. Love the snow on the logs, and the trees on the horizon.
The only thing that bothers me in this is that the big shadow and the shadows under the logs are not the same color. I think I would be tempted to wet the shadows under the logs, lift a little color, and put some blue in there. This will create more unity in the shadow colors.
I really like this piece very much...your shadow work is really super!

Miko
11-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Sorry, Trancy! Under the logs it is not snow - on my reference photos on those places there is green grass. But you are right: With these parts of my work I'm not really happy.
By the way: For my posting I took the photos without a flash and with artificial light. In reality the colors are nicer.
Thank you very much for your comment and critique!
Gerhard

gemineye
11-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Ah, I see...well then...It looks great!

painterbear
11-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Gerhard,

I think your painting is turning out very nicely.

The large shadow on the snow isn't easy to do, but I think you can carry it a little farther by showing changes in it. There would probably be some areas that are a little darker than others because there are dips and changes in the ground beneath them. Look how you varied the tone within the footprints so nicely. You could do something similar in the large shadow.

I did a snow scene like this a couple of years ago with a large shadow. You can see it here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165361) to show what I mean about varying the tone within the shadow.

Like Tracy, I didn't realize the areas beneath the logs were where the snow had blown off and exposed the grass beneath. Maybe a few dry brush strokes to suggest the texture of grass would help show that better?????

Sylvia

Miko
11-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Thank you very much for your helpful critique, Sylvia!
I knew that my painting needs some correction - but now after I read your's and Trancy's messages I know in what direction I have to go.
I like that winterlandscape which you painted very much. There I can see what I have to do with mine.
I'm looking forward to the time when I will have retired because for me it's not always easy to have enough time for painting.But I study a lot of theory. With wetcanvas I can find so many interesting articles - many of them I print out to take with me to my office where I can study them carefully (in my breaks of course!:wink2: )
Gerhard

Miko
12-01-2007, 05:38 AM
... and finally I had to come to an end with my snow scene. I'm a little bit tired of making so many corrections. And I'm looking forward to make something new: I feel very inspired by that beautiful winter church which Ted has posted yesterday.
Although my painting is not one of my best works I post it for those members who - like me - are still learning. On the pics I'have posted you can see which mistakes you have to avoid.
Gerhard
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2007/112879-CIMG1024.JPG

painterbear
12-01-2007, 05:55 AM
Gerhard,
I think you have made lovely changes that have enhanced your painting beautifully. I hope you are happier with it now. Put it away for a few days and don't look at it. When you see it again, you'll be able to appreciate how lovely it is. I especially like the changes you made within the large shadow to give the feeling of snow drifting.

Well done.