PDA

View Full Version : Mals Barn....WIP由EACTIVATED

seedy
11-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi.....
A while back (seems forever) Mal was looking for barn tutorial. We found the tutorial he was looking for, but not before I had volunteered to try one....
This was the photo we decided he liked the best.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2007/21167-Barn_in_SterlingWIP.jpg

I did shift the barn slightly to give it some depth. I also wanted to have the barn in COI on the left with the wagon wheels on the right and the stone fence leading to the barn. The wheels are too close together in the sketch and I will work it up to being a broken down wagon...Maybe.

Here's the sketch....(1/4 sht Artistico SP #300) had to enhance it show up well, but I hope you get the idea.
If someone would like a simple explanation as to how the barn was drawn....ie scale etc please ask. I did not grid it, but used the left front wall as a starting point.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2007/21167-MelsBarnWIPSketch500P.jpg

Yorky
11-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Nice work Brian, you added quite a bit of interest with the perspective view.

Doug

Grainne
11-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Ah, what we've all been waiting for . . . . . . . :)

Laura D
11-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Yea! It like the new compostion a lot better too. Front row and (off) center (to accomodate those who come before me). Do you want coffee, hot chocolate or tea? I'm sure someone will show up with edible goodies.

mal
11-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Brian
Never a doubt that you could do it.So are you going to paint it?

keysgram
11-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Whoo-hoo Brian!! Lookin' forward to this!! :D

and yes, I would love an explanation of how you drew the barn !!! PRETTY PLEASE?!

painterbear
11-24-2007, 06:38 AM
Brian,
You really improved the composition a lot. Your drawing is already more interesting than the photo.

Ditto to Linda's request on how you drew the barn sans grid. :D

Sylvia

lyn lynch
11-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Nah, just paint. I love this scene, I want to see it from my window, but larger than 1/4 sheet. This is gonna be good.

bluegenes
11-24-2007, 11:46 AM
:clap: This will be good! Thanks Brian!

Patty

seedy
11-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Hi....
Who's bringing the gin?....
Just a quick explanation of the drawing for Linda....(as if Greg couldn't help) and Sylvia.
1st of all, I located the barn more or less where I thought it would be located as to 1/3rd up and drew a line across the page for the floor of the barn.
Then I figured out the height I wanted for the left hand wall on the paper.
With a piece of paper, I measured the height of the wall (on the pic) and by moving the paper, it was easy to see that 2x that measure gave me the location of the door and 2x that measure,gives me the center of the barn. That same 2x's measure upward gives the location of the right hand eave.
The height of the door is a little over mid-way,(or 1/2x) and the width is just short of the centerline.
The height of the door is the same as the height from the RH eave to the peak of the roof.
All the rest is simply located more or less using those lines.
Basically its just a case of relating all lengths to a given....its the same as measuring lengths with a pencil and thumb on an extended arm when doing outdoor sketches....its all related.....
By the way.....any comments on the B/W picture for using a value sketch?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2007/21167-MelsBarnWIPSketch.jpg

wtrclrgrl
11-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Yeah!!! Looking forward to this...!!!

Lawrence Fox
11-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Brian:

I've got the Timbits and the coffee.

This looks like fun. I too like the "perspective switch"--it really brings something to the party from the "stratight on" view.

And thanks for the info on how you figured out the proportions.

(I think I downloaded a photo of this barn a while back, but from another angle, so I'm really fascinated by this WIP).

seedy
11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi all
First of all, I hope all our neighbors to the south had a great holiday.....and that everyone has had their fill of leftover turkey and turkey soup.....
Read a good line on the "Painter's Keys" site.
"1st rate soup is better than a 2nd rate painting"
OK.....guess we'll get on with it.....thanks for all your kind remarks and encouragement.....
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're gonna need that dreaded masking fluid, from here on called M/F....
Do I hear the noise of of the door slamming...;-) Bear with me........
Once you get the hang of it, M/F is really one of the wc artist's best friend.
In the following image, you can see that the trees,barn and rock fence have been masked out.
This gives the artist the freedom to do the skies and bg without having to worry about "going around" everything with precision and fussing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2007/21167-MelsBarnWIP-MF01.jpg

Catch you later......

mgthorvaldsen
11-26-2007, 11:57 AM
:wave: HI! Seedy, I like how you've switched the angle from full frontal to include a bit of the side of the barn giving more interest and de-emphasizing the roadway. Good rational for m/f to get the backround sky just so. Thanks for sharing this and I'll be looking in to see how you develope this. Very interesting. Regards, Marianne

keysgram
11-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Watching with great interest!!!:D
and LAWRENCE, could you pass me some Timbits and coffee, PLEEEEAAASE...I am missing them!!!!...sheesh...no Timmy's here!!!:crying:

olliewood0702
11-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Great drawing Brian! Waiting to see more...

bluegenes
11-26-2007, 01:49 PM
.no Timmy's here!!!:crying:
OMG Linda! :eek:

seedy
11-26-2007, 05:44 PM
The sky and b/g area where done by wetting the whole area.....
A big brush....2 1/2"... was used to just sweep in UB and BS and in no particular order,but kept the strokes going more or less with the angle of the barn....
I see no reason why one couldn't even go darker in the sky, but keep it darker at the top.
I just let the sky water lose its sheen and then dropped in colours and let them diffuse...... waited a bit longer and dropped in the same, but more intense colours. The area to the right even has some blue and alizarin in it.
I must admit that #300 paper buys some time in this process, but I'm sure one gets the idea......and as you can see, the m/f protects the trees and even those little fence posts stick out.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2007/21167-MelsBarnWIP02-500P.jpg

Please feel free to ask any questions.....have fun,Mal

Grainne
11-26-2007, 06:38 PM
I forgot you are a gin man, and here I've shown up with a bottle of Black Bush.

Even tied a bow around it for you in gratitude for this great demonstration :D

Grainne

painterbear
11-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Already looking mighty fine, Brian. Love the way you did the sky and let the colors diffuse in the trees.

Sylvia

CharM
11-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi Brian! Thanks for doing this!!! I brought along a beautifully warmed brie with sundried tomatoes and basil... some toasted baguette slices on the side... yummo... :)

It has never, ever, ever occurred to me to *swing around* a building to suit my composition... I need to go back and read that post... but wanted to tell you how much I appreciate that little tidbit...

I have rated your thread and given you a Mentor point.

mal
11-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Brian
The barn looks like a real winner,Will be some time before, I will be able to participate in the fun.Working on Christmas cards for the family.

seedy
11-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Char
Smells great....and it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing?

Mal...
Priorities....;-)

juneto
11-27-2007, 12:07 AM
Brian , Looking terrific !
How come you don't just grid the Picture ?
No complaints from me on Masking , ever ! I think there is nothing more fun to see than the surprises you get when you finish pulling the stuff off ,ready for the finish.
Please Get Char to share those Bruschetta , with the Brie and Basil . I am dying ,here just thinking about it .
Is it Art or is it Food? Gosh , she is distracting , and I am trying so hard to pay attention too !
Well carry on with this Beauty ,before Char turns up with something else delectable and HOME MADE !
June
PS Pass the Gin, too, Please . . :evil: :lol: What a party !:music: :music: :music: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

seedy
11-27-2007, 12:59 AM
June
Why grid if you don't have to. This way gives a bit of freehand to the sketch rather than lining up squares. I suppose I was taught the way to "thumbnail" a still life or a landscape and so I start to see sections rather than grids.
Lets start with that Black Bush stuff from Grainne....Not Canadian whiskey, but I suppose its drinkable.....
That's about the only way I'm going to make it thru those leaves....yikes....

Laura D
11-27-2007, 04:28 AM
M/F is a good friend to me. I'm loving this already! On nins and peedles for the next installment. Anybody want some Quervo Gold and a Corona back?

Grainne
11-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Lets start with that Black Bush stuff from Grainne....Not Canadian whiskey, but I suppose its drinkable.....
:eek:

LKrieger
11-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Great demo Brian. :thumbsup: I've also given you a mentor point. Did you not completely mask the trees? There seems to be areas that have color/texture on them.

Uschi
11-27-2007, 09:50 AM
I think I'll just eat everyone elses food:p

It already looks good Brian!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for doing this!!!!!! My biggest problem with landscapes is always the foreground, I never know what to put there:rolleyes:

Uschi

seedy
11-27-2007, 02:37 PM
OK folks....lets get off the sauce.....for now.
Lois
The colour is on the masking....which is coming off real soon....like now.
Thanks for the mentor point....
Uschi
I have the same problem with f/g's....hope I can pull it off.
I have extended some of the masking across the front of the barn. I washed the front of the barn with a light wash of raw umber and did some lines with a mix of BU and BS.
The red of the doors etc can be any red you feel like making them.
I wasn't too sure about what to do with the wagon wheels.....but its about time I made up my mind......that right side is getting a little busy....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2007/21167-MelsBarnWIP03-500P.jpg

juneto
11-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Okay I 'll drink to that !!! Pass it around and we'll watch while you paint !!!!
Coming along very Fine .
June:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mgthorvaldsen
11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
:wave: HI! Brian, This is really coming to life, like the background it has lots of interest but not too busy... Regards, Marianne

Strawberry Wine
11-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Brian, thanks for doing this WIP.... I am in love with that background tree line...

Mentor point from me too !!!

If you have no objections, I may just give this a go at some point soon!

Looking forward to the next steps

Cheers,

Gail

AmyLC
11-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Brian - this is GREAT!

Way back when I was a beginner, I tried this barn.....notice it was never posted here! LOL. I love how you are approaching this.

Thanks for sharing!

Ms. Gee
11-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the "larger here" views. Much easier to see from the back row (better late than never!). I really need to make better friends with my M/F.

This is coming along great! You never disappoint! :thumbsup:

Grace

LKrieger
11-28-2007, 01:35 PM
This is looking great. <patiently waiting for more>

CWood
11-28-2007, 03:43 PM
This is coming along well. We want more!:clap:

Carl

seedy
11-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi All
Thanks for the encouragement and please take what you want from this and use it to whatever purpose.
Hang in there Lois,

Trees....what can I say.....I was brought up in an area of Quebec (Maniwaki-translated from Algonquin--Land of Mary) where the main occupation was cutting trees for the newsprint mill that was and still is, located where I now live....Gatineau....I know trees....
In my back yard there is a Norway Maple, an Eastern pine and in the front of the house there's white Birch.....more than enough models for all the painting I will ever do.
Not only that, I'm a 15 min. drive from a beautiful arboretum in Ottawa....I've always wanted to spend a whole summer there painting them.....maybe some day.
Try to think ahead when painting trees.....in this case, I have masked out some branches (which will remain white) across the front of the barn. The idea being that the eye will connect to the limbs across the roof.
Its always a good idea to break up boring straight lines on a barn with broken eaves etc....but this puppy is too nice to do that, so I thought I would bent the branches through the roof and add lightning rods on the peak.
I know some of you folks would like to get more info or detail on "doing" trees,so I will come back with a better description soon....just trying to figure out the procedure.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2007/21167-MelsBarnWIP04-500P.jpg

BS and UB where used for the trunks.....most maples are grey, but leaning to the blue is better than brown and the those two colours granulate so well.
In general, I wash down the shadow side of the tree, drop in colour and the suck it over to the light side, which gives a bit of a roundness to the trunk.
Taking a really close look at the tree trunks in the photo shows the shaded and light areas quite nicely so just try to leave some white or light grey somewhere.
I'll be back with the branches next upload....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2007/21167-MelsBarnWIP05-500P.jpg

giddy up
11-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Looking great Brian.........great trees.......love them
and that background is just wonderful......

Greg

LKrieger
11-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Great texture on the trees Brian.

Strawberry Wine
11-28-2007, 10:44 PM
HI Brian,

Very nice trees and the closeup really shows the granulation. :thumbsup:

Is the photo reference one of your local barns?

Looking forward to next phase.

Cheers,

Gail

laudesan
11-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Wow!! Love those large pics!!

I have rated this thread!

Saved it to my favourites!

Given you a Mentor point! oh well I would if the darn thing was working.. grrrrrr

JJ

Selahs art
11-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Wow.

Love this.

Retha

seedy
11-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Greg and Lois
Thanks.
Gail
Its from the IRL...I think it must be somewhere in the New England states...
The trees are maple and I think those are cedar shakes covering the barn...and its too pretty by far to be from around here.....besides, the farmers of Lanark County would never put a basement window under the door.....I think the original was called A Barn in Sterling....would make a great studio....
JJ
What's a mentor point?
Retha
Thank you.

Guess I'm out'a here.
The leaves are mostly BS and please don't ask me what's in the f/g....I really just played around with it very slowly working up from a light yellow to green to BS.
I also played around with Antwerp Blue and BS which gives an interesting green.
I dropped some water into the bs on the ground to give some of that light flocculated stuff....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2007/21167-MelsBarnWIP06-500P.jpg

Not too much I wish I had done and not too much I would redo....
Middle of the road....3 out of 5...;-)

Hope some of you try it.....especially Mal, but then again, he's got all those cards to do....
Thanks all.....it was fun.

wtrclrgrl
11-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Very nice!!!! Love it!!!!

Ms. Gee
11-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Very nice, Brian. Makes me miss home!

I especially like the white tree with orange leaves in the background on the left.

Grace

Yorky
11-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Super work Brian. I particularly like the foreground tree and its shadows. I see you lost the plough.

Doug

Shirl Parker
11-29-2007, 06:06 PM
This picture was most likely "Barn Again" contributed by Judwal who is from Massachusetts.

Shirl

keysgram
11-29-2007, 06:34 PM
LOVE it!! Thanks Brian!:D

mal
11-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Brian
You did a bang up job on the barn,And I will do a painting of it at a later date,Thank you for painting it.

Strawberry Wine
11-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Beautiful finish Brian, Glad you left the plough out.

Question: Did you re-wet the sky area where you painted the maple leaves?

Love the FG and the leaves on the ground...

BTW, your larger foreground detail link isn't working.

I am attending a workshop this weekend but plan to tackle this barn very soon.

Cheers,

Gail

Grainne
11-29-2007, 08:31 PM
A great big :thumbsup:

Grainne

laudesan
11-29-2007, 09:03 PM
JJ
What's a mentor point?

READ HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171832).. AND HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/help/question.php?qstId=100) :-))

Your first link of the closeup wont work for me?

JJ

painterbear
11-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Brian,
Nice finish and overall painting. I like your change to the rock wall in the foreground instead of the wheels.

Very well done and informative. Thanks for taking the time to do this for us.

First link takes us to the home page of the PhotoBucket, not your closeup view of the painting. ;)

Sylvia

seedy
11-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Conni
Thanks a bunch

Grace....
And where is home...?

Doug
No room for the plough....just getting to be too much on that side....but smart thinking might have left some space on the left.....

Shirl
Thanks for the info....that was the title...a fine photo to work with.

Linda
Thank you.

Mal
I hope you will and post it....

Gail and JJ
Works for me....you don't really need to see it...;-)

Grainne
Ummm....nice hug and hope you are feeling better.

rgb
11-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Beautiful, informative WIP. I really appreciate your doing this.

The foreground link doesn't work for me either.

Brian, I checked your Photobucket page that shows 16 images, and the foreground one isn't there. The other images you gave us are so wonderful that I can be happy with them.

Ms. Gee
11-29-2007, 11:54 PM
JJ, thanks for the refresher on the Merit and Mentor points. I forget about them.

I'm going to give my Mentor point to Brian today. :clap: :clap:

Brian, Michigan is where I grew up. I miss the seasons. Your orange leaves and barn are something we don't see much in the desert around Tucson, AZ. :(

We have other nice things, though. :p

Love your work!
Grace

kadon
11-30-2007, 12:09 AM
Gorgeous - so restful to look at, and beautiful colouring.

bluegenes
11-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Just gorgeous as usual Brian!

One thing though: Why did you keep the roof white? Is it supposed to be snow? Judging by the shadows on the barn, I would expect to see a shadow on the roof. Of course I'm probably all wrong here... :)

Love the foreground.

Patty

seedy
11-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Jenny
Thanks for clearing up the mystery.....I think I was getting ready to delete those images....duh...;-)

Grace
Have you got a curling rink down there.....I would miss the barns, but not throwing rocks...

kadon
Thank you.

Hi Patty
I forgot it......left it out just for the contrast.....there was way too much same same in the overall colour scheme.

The foreground was purely experimental and a 1st time thing for me....besides, I had to get something from this try....;-)

bluegenes
11-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Well, it is your brush after all! LOL

Patty

Loose&free
11-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Brian,
Who do I pay for this lesson......man, barns are my favorite and you did a magnificent job here. You are quickly becoming my WC hero!!!!! Your style fits mine, although I'm not as refined as you. More of these WIP's and someday I may be.

I'm going to give M/F another chance...it allows me to be loose and free in the sky without worrying about screwing up the forground. And like June says....."the surprises in value are a lot of fun when the M/F is lifted.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Chin Chin

Uschi
11-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Really GREAT job Brian and THANK YOU so much for taking us along!!!!!
Uschi

seedy
11-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Capt. Brent
With a guy having only 55 posts, you sure know how to reply in the positive. You've got me blushing.....usually only "bluegenes" can do that...;-0
As they say, just keep them wet.

Uschi
You are more than welcome....and hope you are feeling better.

D.J.
12-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Awesome, Brian! Thanks for the tutorial.:clap:

Brian Barnes
12-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the WIP. :) Nice to see how you go about things. :thumbsup: Funny how trees and other objects can be like hand-writing in that each artist has an easily identifiable style. Yours is outstanding!

Great finish!

It's easy to forget a lot of techniques when you let the brushes dry out. Your work is inspiration I needed to get back at it. :D

BrianB

seedy
12-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Brian
Thanks....
All this time I was waiting for an explosion of quails on WC.....
Good grief....I'm an inspiration? get outta here.....

Brian Barnes
12-04-2007, 06:03 PM
........... gasp! :eek: I've done enough of those! Have to try something different like ............. barns? .......... maybe not. :D

BrianB

dcglovier
12-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Brian, I just discovered this tutorial. Thanks for doing it. This is a good learning tool. Beautiful painting!
Doris

kadon
12-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Yes I want to thank you for the turorial too.

seedy
12-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Doris and kadon
Hope you found something in the tutorial you can use....thanks for looking and commenting.
Enough of barns.....I'm switching to old cars.....tee hee.

Violetta
12-13-2007, 09:12 PM
This is a wonderful WIP. Every once in a while when I haven't checked out the Studio in several days, I go to the second page and find a gem. This WIP is certainly a gem. I'm saving it to my favorites. Thank you for all the great info and demo.

olliewood0702
12-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Totally what Violetta said!!^^:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

But then I'm kinda partial to BARNS of any kind. This one is amazing, Brian! THANK YOU for the WIP!

seedy
12-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Judy and Darla
Thanks a lot.....and I know there are still a lot of barn lovers out there....;-)

ICanDoIt
01-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the great demo, Brian. I am just beginning, and barns are my favorite subject. I have photos of a wonderful 100 year old local barn and have been trying to get up enough nerve to start on it. Your demo will be a big help. I will be watching for more from you.
Ed Dumas Knoxville, TN:clap:

artbyboon
01-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Just lurking as I don't often get time to get over to this forum but just wanted to say this WIP is fantastic. What a treasure you are to share your time and knowledge Brian. The finished barn is a beauty and you know how much I love my barns!!!:D

painterbear
07-27-2008, 12:05 PM
This is another of our wonderful demos that has been reactivated.

Unfortunately, I had to delete all the links to the PhotoBucket images because they no longer worked and the image had been deleted or changed. :( This is why we ask that you use the Uploader to add your images in your threads. :D

Thanks.

Sylvia

seedy
07-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Sylvia
Maybe you can tell us why WC seems to be dragging their feet in getting the proper size to upload....600 high by 800 wide....seems like they tried and gave up.
I realize that this favours the landscape format rather than portrait, but it suits most monitors in the 15" size....
Don't think it's rocket science....do you?

painterbear
07-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Brian,

The whys and wherefores of what the techies are doing are beyond me. :confused:

At the last update about posting size for images, it was 600 W x 600 H unless they change it again.

Sylvia