GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Whisper Words of Wisdom
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my latest painting--it's actually watercolor paints on gessoed paper with a little fabric paint swirled on. Other textures are done with saran wrap. It's also my first full-sheet watercolor painting.<br><br>Not the greatest photo I've ever taken--hope it'll do for a critique. I tried to upload a different pic but it was too big...I have a brighter image of this on the Watercolor Plus part of the Watercolor Forum if you want to see it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My biggest concern with this painting is with the "Mother Mary" face. In the original, it was quite abstracted. I thought it might be a little too scary looking so I changed it. Now, I'm thinking that I should have left it like it was or some variation of it.<br><br>The second thing is whether I should do a crop--maybe just above the two main figures--in other words, should I keep the "death" figure? I like to have odd numbers in my painting but, if it makes a better painting, I'll take it out.<br><br>Any and all comments about this--esp. the composition and the face--are more than welcome.<br>This is my first posting here so I hope I didn't make this too long.Thanx.<br><br>Michele
P.S.-- I tried to post the original "face" but it said it was too big...If anyone wants to see it, I'll try to post another version of it...

Oops...somehow, I managed to post twice! Please, can somebody tell me how to get rid of the post that doesn't have my images? Thanks again...

La_
11-23-2007, 01:45 PM
oooh, all kinds of interesting stories brewing here, i like it

can't really see a 3rd figure? hhmm

i see a woman straddled over a guy ...

would like to see the 'mother mary face'

la

artdreamer1
11-23-2007, 04:49 PM
The third figure--the death figure--is the dark area behind the woman. I thought it looked like the traditional "cloaked figure of death"; deliberately left it kinda vague as I didn't want to emphasize it over the woman. The woman IS the "Mother Mary" figure.

In the song..."In my hour of darkness, she is standing right in front of me--speaking words of wisdom--let it be". There's also the words, "whisper words of wisdom--hence, the title. The death figure represents the mans' "hour of darkness". Maybe I'm the only one who's able to see the image of death...

Here's the original version of the "mother mary" with the "death" figure above it and a close-up of the face now; hope it helps--

Michele

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2007/37995-035_35.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2007/37995-111_111.JPG

ejtupi
11-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks for posting the closeup details. It really shows how a little image of an entire painting can distort things.

I love the feel of collage / tissue in your watercolor. The colors are vibrant. Not liking the drip stuff along the sides, but the overall feeling is one of gentle comfort amidst emotional conflict (although the dark stuff seems a bit heavyhanded).

So.....very intriguing picture, visually arresting, and I'd vote that you call it good. Takes a few looks to pull in the whole thing and absorb it, which I like greatly.

MRSBB
11-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Hi Artdreamer.........I definitely see the grim reaper of death in this painting and I love the song...... Let it Be.......but this painting, to me ,seems very upsetting, but then maybe that was the message you wanted to convey. My take on the song would be Mother Mary,,,Ahh never mind it's your interpretation that counts. The painting is very thought provoking. Lenore

artdreamer1
11-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks Ejtupi--There's actually no collage/tissue paper on this at all. I started this as a regular watercolor painting; didn't like the way it was going and said "what the heck--lets throw some gesso on this and see what happens"...then, I added some more watercolors along with some fabric paint and just started wiping off some areas. I wasn't too sure about the drips either. I really did want to get the effect of "comfort in the midst of conflict"--glad you see it; maybe a crop would help with the heavy feeling...thanks again for the input.

Thanks so much for commenting, MRSBB (Lenore)...it's probably my favorite Beatles song (really hard to choose one tho). I've had probably one of the worst years of my life so maybe that sorta came through. I was hoping that the bright colors would offset that a little bit. Please--let me know what your interpretation is--I'm always interested in other peoples' interpretations of songs (I'm on a "song" kick at the moment).

Curious as to whether most would agree that I should crop this...I could always go back into the background and maybe lighten things up a bit (it is gessoed after all...makes it alot easier to change things). Thanks for input--this is quite a radical change from what I usually do so I need all the help that I can get!

Michele

ejtupi
11-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Michele,
Agreeing with you on picking a favorite song, but watching the 'Let it Be' DVD can really help you make your mind up. Even still, I like 'A Day in the Life' (Sgt. Pepper) for the way the rhythm section matches the lyrics, but if 'Let it Be' is speaking to you right now then that's a good thing.

Leave your painting alone. It was the honest expression of your feeling at its moments of creation. If you touch it now it's revising history. Let this picture talk to you as things get better.

MRSBB
11-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi again Artdreamer.......Ejtupi is right, this painting is what the song was saying to you. I'm sorry for your difficulties, art is a good way to release those feelings and get them out. You said you were trying to convey a sense of comfort.That is what the song says to me comfort, someone there helping you through your trials. I think most painters must be emotional because we want to paint and share our feelings. I would love to see your usual line of art..........Keep your chin up...........Lenore