PDA

View Full Version : Wolf of Yellowstone

Jodi B.
11-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi all,
Wanted to share another drawing with you. A picture on the cover of a college catalog is what I used as a reference. I have been trying to make myself draw more regularly as I still struggle with it. :confused: I find that the more I draw the easier it becomes (duh!). I have a real hard time just sketching because I am such a perfectionist that it has to be perfect (in my mind) when I am done. Please help!! (with the sketching problem I mean, any suggestions?) :D I drew it in my hardcover art book using micron pens. Hope you enjoy! :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2007/122886-Wolf_of_Yellowstone.jpg

ARTMUTT
11-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Very Nice--It looks like an illustration you'd see in a book. I think you are on the right track..Regarding the sketching issue I have no idea what to suggest.

MonicaB
11-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Very nice wolfie! I have to admit I have the same problem with sketching. . . Maybe Seejay will come along soon and offer some suggestions. :D He's the king of ink sketches. . .

valchina612
11-24-2007, 08:45 AM
This is a great drawing Jodi. I think you've made a wonderful job of Mr. Wolf. :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

tvandeb
11-24-2007, 12:17 PM
This very good, very nice allignment of the eyes, and very nice subtle rounding of the nose with the fur. The only thing that you might want to do is the holes where the nostrils are have a lighter area above or below; depending which you have the light coming from. Most animals dogs, wolves ,foxes have a bit of lighter area on one or both nostrils; otherwise you did a superb job. Take care....:clap:

Dave Slaughter
11-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Very nicely done.

My wife took an art workshop in the Beartooth mountains south of Yellowstone a few years ago. One of the exercises they did were gesture sketches of models. They had about 2 minutes to finish a sketch, then the pose would change. You can't get in much detail in that period of time but the idea was to get a general impression, which was the point of the exercise. You might try this idea.

Jodi B.
11-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks so much for all your wonderful comments and suggestions. My goal for when I retire (still a ways away) is to do animal portraits for people. I'm trying to do lots of practice drawings until then so I will be able to render as real a likeness as I can for them. Thanks also for the sketching suggestion. I will give it a try. I sure do envy people who can just doodle and sketch. Take care all!!

elaine321
11-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Jodi, First thing I have to say is I love the wolf! Well done!

Also, I to envy these people that can just pick up a piece of paper and pen and sketch away and have a finished product in 1 minute!! Unfortunately we are not all that talented

You said that your aim is to do sketches of people's animals, well I have found that the best way to do that successfully and get the true character of that animal is to get some really good close up photos of the pet, Take a blown up photocopy of the photo you like. Trace the main outline to get the correct shape of the pet's head. Then I trace the eyes nose and mouth. It still takes a lot of talent to do the inking correctly and to get the light tones correct.

Also you could be there for hours trying to sketch freehand and you may still not be successful in getting an accurate image of the animal. Most of us don't have time to do that. I mostly do animals and that's how I do them.

seejay
11-24-2007, 09:34 PM
A nice drawing Jodi. :thumbsup:

Suggestions for sketching? I am no expert (thanks anyway Monica;)) so I don't really know what to tell you apart from my own experiences of sketching. When I started sketching I had no idea why or how, but as I did more I found some favourite subjects, materials and techniques. I'm still learning of course. I usually sketch for fun - it helps me see/remember where I have been and what I was doing at the time. The results are usually messy and unfinished, but I like the process, and sometimes I even like the result. A recent sample from my sketchbook. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457927)

I don't know what you want from your sketching - I think everyone has a different idea about sketching and what it is. Some may sketch for reference or design/composition ideas for other work. At the moment I usually sketch as an end in itself.

My suggestions - sketch often, from life if possible, enjoy it, and don't criticise your efforts because they will improve. Try different subjects, different materials etc. When you think you are going nowhere, look at some of your earlier efforts, you will see progress. Use a cheap sketch book so it is not precious, and fill it up. Look at what other artists are doing. Read some art books. Fill up more sketchbooks. Just do it! :D

Looking forward to seeing some of your sketches!;)

Cheers

Jodi B.
11-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Elaine, thank you for the suggestions on pet portraits. I like to try and do my drawings freehand as much as I can as I have this stubborn and proud side of me that wants the drawing to be completely done by my own free will. I have heard that some artists do get the general outline like you suggest and I think I will start using that method when I run into problem photos that I just can't get quite right freehand.
Seejay- thank you also for your in put on sketching. You're right, the biggest problem I have with sketching is that I critcize my results to much. I always feel like the end result should be something pleasing to look at and I just don't feel that way about my sketching ability.
Thanks all and take care.

sassybird
11-27-2007, 02:17 PM
You did a wonderful job on the fur. The eyes, ears and snout are well developed too. I susgest that you use better paper for your serious drawings though. Sketch book paper will yellow over time. As for sketching try contour drawings, quick sketches to portray the person or object. Nothing detailed, just the hint of the subject in the drawing using quick strokes with the pen , or using one continus line. Look at seejays work. You can find some of it on the second page. He just posted quite a few skeches.