PDA

View Full Version : Sky Ideas--NM Cloudcam

Deborah Secor
11-23-2007, 09:00 AM
IMHO, pastels are about the BEST medium to paint skies! So, if any of you love New Mexico and want some ideas for sky paintings, take a look at http://www.abqcloudcast.com/. You can pick any day and watch a time-lapse video of the sky over beautiful Sandia!

I thought we could pick a spectacular day and use the video for inspiration, then share paintings... maybe...at some point...

Maybe we'll get some great little sky paintings out of this! Have fun! :wink2:

Deborah

Donna T
11-23-2007, 09:55 AM
That's a great idea, Deborah. I need more practice with skies and clouds and it would be nice to get some group help here. I've never been to New Mexico and would love to see some of those dramatic skies in person some day.

Donna

Kathryn Wilson
11-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Excellent idea Deborah - PM me and let's talk about how we can do this.

:thumbsup:

nana b
11-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Deborah, I couldn't get the clouds, just a big box with an x that didn't do anything when I clicked it:confused: What did I do wrong?

nana

Kathryn Wilson
11-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Nana, I clicked on the link and viewed the clouds okay.

Shari
11-23-2007, 12:19 PM
The time lapse is so fast on this, do you mean we would just view the still shots at a particular time and work from that?

Deborah Secor
11-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Hmmm, let me think it through and talk with Kat...we'll see what might be possible with this! I would think that painting from the rapidly cycling time-lapse would force you to capture an impression quickly, which would be great training for the much more slow-moving clouds themselves on location! You could keep it cycling and look for that moment over and over, or just use the 'feel' of the movement to do some fast sketches and drawings, before making a finished painting.

nana, it might be the speed. Do you have high-speed internet? Otherwise I don't know...

Deborah

Deborah Secor
11-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Oh, go look at 20071007! (October 7, 2007) The early morning part really made me laugh!!!

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
11-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I was wondering if this could be slowed down just a touch - they really are going at lightening speed. Or can they be stopped and re-started? Will do some looking.

Kathryn Wilson
11-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Lol Deborarh - at first it looked like bubbles coming up out of the desert.

I could not stop or slow down the video - I guess we would have to just let it go over and over again. This might be good for an abstract show I am thinking on entering in January - LOL.

maggie latham
11-23-2007, 01:22 PM
:) Hello,
Sounds like a really good idea. I like the thought of doing a lot of rapid impressions. What a fun group project.
Maggie

maggie latham
11-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Oh… I can’t seem to open the images on my Mac…any one have any ideas?
Maggie

Dougwas
11-23-2007, 01:35 PM
This sounds like a great idea. I found out how to stop the image. Left click on the image and then right click and a menu will appear. The first option is pause/stop and futher down is a speed option to slow it down. Hope I said it clear enough.:confused:

Doug

Kathryn Wilson
11-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Oh, great! Leave it to a guy to find the solution. I clicked on the image, but didn't think to left click - duh!!

Kathryn Wilson
11-23-2007, 01:40 PM
hhehehehe ... if you double left click, it enlarges! You can slow the speeed in that menu and you can pause the image too.

Deborah Secor
11-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Kewl!!

PeggyB
11-23-2007, 01:45 PM
nana, it might be the speed. Do you have high-speed internet? Otherwise I don't know...

Deborah

I do have high speed connection, and got the "X" box too. Would love to see those clouds and participate. I agree with you Deborah, pastels are the best medium for skies! :)

Peggy

Dougwas
11-23-2007, 01:45 PM
And my kids say I don't know what I'm doing!!! :evil: I just click until something happens.;)

Doug

Kathryn Wilson
11-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Oh, one of those "just-hit-any-key-until-computer-crashes-kind of guy", eh?

Peggy, did you let the video load? It takes a couple of seconds before it starts.

Dougwas
11-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Peggy, there is a bar above that says click here to see images. You just have to follow the instructions from there.

Doug

Deborah Secor
11-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Ooooo, and after you enlarge it a simple left click stops and starts it!

I wonder if we should ask premission to use the views? Whaddaya think?

Okay, computer geniuses--why are some not seeing it??? [ :o never mind]

Deborah

PeggyB
11-23-2007, 02:09 PM
It seems my security system was being too selective so now that's taken care of - this could be addictive! Thank Deborah - another something to take me away from things I really should be doing about now... :lol:
So when does the party begin?

Peggy

Deborah Secor
11-23-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't know... would you all like to discuss what we might do with this? Ideas??

I'm trying to find a way to capture and then print the photo, but no-go so far. I tried a 'print screen' capture and it will show up in Photoshop, small size, but it won't save with an image. :rolleyes:

Deborah

Deborah Secor
11-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Does anyone have a link to 'contact us' at the bottom of the page? I can't get it to go live... thought we should ask, as it clearly says
contact us All Content Exclusive to ABQ CloudCast.com © 2006

PeggyB
11-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Well maybe we could make this a double challenge. Paint from our monitors, but make it a small painting done in a designated period of time - say not larger than 8 square inches in 1 hour or less. We'd have to refresh the screen every so often, but that's not too hard... common everyone, I'm sure we can come up with a solution. Deborah, I think you'd have to be the one to find out if the site is copyright protected.

Peggy

Looks like we cross posted Deborah. I'll try the contact link.

PeggyB
11-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Does anyone have a link to 'contact us' at the bottom of the page? I can't get it to go live... thought we should ask, as it clearly says

Nope! I can't access it either - hmmmmm

Peggy

Kathryn Wilson
11-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Deb, Peg - I couldn't either. There doesn't seem to be a home page either for contact info.

I tried to find a way to copy the image, no go. I thought maybe if we could capture a single frame, drop it into Photoshop, then those who can't see the images could paint from that. anyone?

Deborah Secor
11-23-2007, 03:02 PM
I can get it into Photoshop...just not out. Try this: open full screen, then push the print screen button. Go to Photoshop and open 'new from clipboard' and you have it. Saving it...well, I can save as a jpeg, as long as I open it in Photoshop.

Where's a geek when you need 'em?! :D

Deborah

Deborah Secor
11-23-2007, 04:41 PM
I finally took my laptop out to my studio and set it up to use for a painting. This is on some Canson (not Mi Tientes--a pad of colored paper) that is orange. It's 8x10"... and I lost which day it was!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2007/23609-DSCN7562.jpg

I kinda like this!

Deborah

WC Lee
11-23-2007, 04:48 PM
I visited the site and as far as I can tell, the clips uses the MS media player plug-in. It is impossible to screen capture an image from media player (or at least I haven't found a way yet). I have tried numerous applications including the built-in print screen function, and all have failed. What I do is pause it and use a digital camera.

Kathryn Wilson
11-23-2007, 04:49 PM
and how long did that take the "amazing deborah" to do? :)

Deborah Secor
11-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, Kat... part of the idea is to go fast, right? Maybe 15-20 minutes eash here.

I have a few more, all the same size and on this cheap paper.

This one isn't as great--I did it on sky blue paper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2007/23609-DSCN7563.JPG

This on is on soft peach. I like it a lot better on the contrasting colors.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2007/23609-DSCN7566.JPG

And this one is on black, which I like quite a bit. I need the contrasts!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2007/23609-DSCN7567.JPG

I'm selling them for peanuts. PM me... :D

Good idea to take pictures of the screen!

Deborah

Dougwas
11-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Well, mine is more a blur of colours than clouds.:o I used Canson MT which I haven't used in a long time (that's my excuse anyway). I'll give it another try tomorrow using Colourfix or Wallis. This took me 20 minutes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2007/102199-Clouds_1.jpg

Doug

CJMonty
11-23-2007, 08:14 PM
My computor comes up with " Can't create Direct Show player" Maybe I will have to get hubby onto this.

Love Carolynn :(

Deborah Secor
11-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Kinda fun, hih, Doug? :D

Hope all of you with computer questions find a way to join in at some point...if you solve a problem, be sure to share the solution!

Deborah

BruceF
11-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Try [email protected] Looks like they have a typo in the HTML page code that's preventing the link from showing up properly.

Deborah Secor
11-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Bruce, I looked at the HTML but I don't read code well enough to tell for sure... I'll try it! Thanks.

Deborah

maggie latham
11-24-2007, 06:23 AM
Hello everyone,
Still can’t open the images on my Mac, maybe I don’t have the correct player to run it….so I will make do with enjoying watching everyone’s post rather than participating. I love the posts so far, it looks like you are having fun! If any one else with a Mac has any suggestions…please let me know!
Maggie

Dot Hoffman
11-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Deborah, thank you for this link. I love painting skies and clouds. And, I found I can stop the action by right clicking then clicking on Pause/Play:clap:

Now, if I could just figure out how to "copy the photo" so I can print it .... I don't know if my husband will let me take his laptop to my dusty studio:lol:

Shari
11-24-2007, 11:17 AM
It might depend on the browser; I have no trouble opening this site and I use Firefox browser instead of Safari. Try that.

Deborah Secor
11-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Yesterday I sent this off asking permission:

Hi—

I’m an artist from Albuquerque (I live down by UNM) and I found the abq_cloudcast web page this morning. I love to paint skies and thought it would be a wonderful challenge to some of my artist friends from out of the area to paint our changing skies. I pointed them to your site and we’ve all been playing with the images. I wanted to be sure that we aren’t trespassing on anyone’s rights by doing this, so I thought it best to ask your permission to use these as resources for paintings. You can take a look at the discussion on Wet Canvas in a thread titled Sky Ideas—NM Cloudcam.

You can link to my web page for more information about me, if you like. Thanks for your inspirational webcam!

Deborah

And today I received this back!

Hello Deborah. Thanks for contacting me about this, I think your project is very exciting and I’m really happy to see my little cloud cam could be a part of it. I set up the cam for (likely) much the same reason you paint this sort of imagery…because the sky is just wonderful out here. Given that, I’m happy to have your group use any of the images off the site. The only thing I really feel “copyright” over is the actual web videos themselves, so have fun with any derivative content and I’m glad it could be a source of inspiration.

I went through your discussion thread and fixed the broken contact link you had to dig out of there (good work!). The videos are embedded with Windows Media player, which generally works pretty well, but Mac users do need to take the extra step of downloading that plug in for their browser. There isn’t a great way to capture stills from the video (as you all have seen). The video is made from a series of stills taken 2 times minute by the camera, but they are all very low resolution and the program that runs camera deletes the images after the video is uploaded. My education is also in fine art and I really appreciate your observation that painting from an ‘impression’ of these images is good way to work. That seems to come from the same idea as these images being time-lapse, which lets us see observe a subjects experience in time, not just its momentary occupation of it.

Anyway, enjoy the videos and spread the word. Good luck with paintings. I’m also resident of the UNM area so let me know if these ever come on display, I’d love to see them

Best,
Wes Meyer

Isn't that nice? Maybe now some of the Mac users can get the plug-in, should you want to download that, and we can all play. I plan to do some more today. I hope others will just share what you get from this website.

And Wes, THANK YOU! I love the videos of our wonderful skies!!!

Deborah

Deborah Secor
11-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Now, if I could just figure out how to "copy the photo" so I can print it .... I don't know if my husband will let me take his laptop to my dusty studio:lol:

Dot, you might be able to take a photo of the monitor with the image stopped and just print that, as Doug suggested. I haven't tried it yet but I can't see why it wouldn't work, especially now that we know we can't capture a still.

Deborah

Deborah Secor
11-24-2007, 04:48 PM
I tried a few still shots, just to show you how they look. I find bad, blurry photos often give me more to work with than the picture-perfect scene, but you'll have to decide if you want to use any of these or not!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2007/23609-DSCN7574.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2007/23609-DSCN7575.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2007/23609-DSCN7571.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2007/23609-DSCN7576.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2007/23609-DSCN7585.JPG

Deborah

Dot Hoffman
11-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Deborah, good idea. For those who don't know how to do this, I think you can do this: when you have the video stopped on a (full screen) slide you like, click on your "print screen" button on your keyboard, open your word processing program (Word, Word Perfect, etc.) and right click on the blank document, click "paste" and there your have it, ready to print. Is that how you did it, Deborah?

Deborah Secor
11-24-2007, 11:43 PM
I've tried that, Dot, but it doesn't capture a still photo. That will be captured as a video. No, what I did was to click the full screen image to a stop and then used my digital camera to take a snapshot of it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2007/23609-DSCN7581.JPG

That way I can snap a photo, click on the image until I see the next one I like, stop it, take a photo, and go on.

Or people can take the photos above and paint from them!

Deborah

Mary Brigid
11-25-2007, 04:39 AM
This is amazing Deborah..... a big change from the grey skies i see around here at the moment. I love the second sky that you painted.
Mary Brigid

Dot Hoffman
11-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Hmmmmm. It seems to work for me. When I printed it from the word document, I left it at the defaults (4.8 x6"). It printed at that size, using half of a letter size sheet of paper. However, I can't insert it here. I think that's because it's a picture in a word document, but it doesn't have an .jpg or .gif extension.

I'm going to play with it some more. I can certainly see how taking a digital photo of the screen is a viable option.

Dot Hoffman
11-25-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2007/37020-ABQ_Sky_Video.jpg

After playing around a little more, I was able to do this by finding a full size screen shot I liked and pausing it there by right clicking and then clicking on pause/play, then clicking on "print screen" key on my keyboard, then opening my photo program (I use Paint Shop Pro 9), start a new photo/document, right click on the new photo document, click paste, and save the photo as "filename.jpg. Then uploaded it here.

I don't know which is more complex, using this method or using a camera, then uploading it to the computer, etc. Anyway, it looks like more than one way to accomplish the same thing.

Sometimes I think of all I could be painting if I didn't spend so much time fooling around with stuff like this:lol: :lol: :cat:

Deborah Secor
11-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Sometimes I think of all I could be painting if I didn't spend so much time fooling around with stuff like this:lol: :lol: :cat:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah--that thought has occurred to me, too...

Deborah

David Patterson
11-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Very cool Deborah!

David

Deborah Secor
11-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks, David... :D

Deborah

Donna T
11-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi Deborah, Here's one I did from the Favorite Days on your cloudcam. I used a 4x5 piece of gessoed mat board and wish I had chosen a smoother surface. I really had to fight the texture. I worked about an hour on this and realize I need much more practice :rolleyes:.

Here's a link my son showed me. You can copy up to 20 photos a day for free!
http://mayang.com/textures/Nature/html/Clouds/index.html

Donna
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2007/97763-clouds_wc.jpg

Dot Hoffman
11-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Donna, great link! Thanks for posting it.

Deborah Secor
11-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Donna, I think this is beautiful! You caught that lift that the clouds have over the mountain. It has a 'drawn breath' quality to me, as if I'm waiting to see the rest of the movement. Very nice!

More practice is always the name of the game, however!

That's a fascinating link... I need to go spend some more time looking. Thanks.

Deborah

Donna T
11-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks Deborah, I thought I exaggerated the colors a little but when I looked again they really are intense. In case anyone hasn't seen this, in the Favorite Days part of this site the last date on the bottom of the list shows the view with hot air balloons! It's really neat to see them zooming past and bobbing up and down in their sped up film footage.

Donna

Deborah Secor
11-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Isn't that funny? I found several days where the balloons danced in and out--the Balloon Fiesta is the first two weekends in October generally, if you want to look for them.

From a NM point of view, your colors are not too intenxe at all. People say the light here is different and I guess it's true--vivid, intense colors are not unreal!

I'm so glad you tried one. I hope others might, too...

Deborah

seosamhin
12-20-2007, 08:06 PM
I have never been to New Mexico but may try the video idea anyway.
Thanks Dougwas and Kathryn for the extra info.
Julia

Deborah Secor
12-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Hi Julia. :wave: I sure hope you give it a go. It's loads of fun and I don't think it requires visiting here to do it. Make the skies your own. Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Deborah

Dougwas
12-21-2007, 12:46 AM
You are welcome Julia. Have fun.

Doug

ElsieH
12-22-2007, 12:19 PM
:clap: Wow! Deborah, what an education in cloud painting just to sit there and watch the changes. Especially revealing to see was the transitions of color in the clouds and sky!
Hey, I could sit there all day and watch! :heart:
Yes, it would get great to be able to "capture" a specific view, moment and paint it. But, the real power of this site is to educate your brain as to movement of clouds, colors reapresented, formations etc.
Then when I do actually sit down to paint a particular sky from a photo or en plein air, my brain, my artist's mind, is primed with this information to better see what is before me!
Thanks so much Deborah!
BYW, Deborah is my all-time favorite shy painter! :heart: :heart:

Deborah Secor
12-22-2007, 12:59 PM
:lol: I assume that meant to read 'sky painter' not SHY... Thanks Elsie.

I agree, it's perceiving the kinds of movement and the colors changing that impresses me, too.

Deborah

ElsieH
12-23-2007, 03:57 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Deborah does it again with a magnificant sky painting!
Love it!:heart:
Elsie

ElsieH
12-23-2007, 04:04 PM
:wave: This is getting very exciting!
I often take my laptop to my studio if I am working on doing some of the demonstrations from a DVD I am using. I realize there is dust.
I put my laptop on a table to the side of where I am working.
So it is not in the main dust area.
Another thing that I find helps the dust issue is to put a damp papertowel
in the little try I put under my easel. This does a good job of trapping the dust as it falls and cuts down on dust in the air.

I am really excited about using the web cam idea for inspiration for sky paintings!

ElsieH
12-23-2007, 04:10 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Donna,
Absolutely lovely!
I'm so inspired.
The next couple days are terrible for studio time for me!!
On the otherhand, I'm not complaining: Family and the Christmas!
So, I'll try some on Wed. to Friday! :lol:
Right now, in Fitchburg, Wisconsin, near Madison, we have a snowstorm and lots of wind. Not quite "White-out" blizzard, but almost! We have ice, snow, ice, snow...we're going for the layered look here! :lol:
So those NM sky views are extra lovely!