PDA

View Full Version : Looking for critique

gourdhead1997
11-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey everybody, I am going to try to post one of my pics and see what you all think. This may not work. I am unable to get any pictures to upload into my gallery. The gallery manager says they upload successfully but I can't find them. So here you go. Let me know what you think.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2007/117438-treecopy.jpeg

Jakeally
11-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Fantastic .... I love all the faces:clap:
A big welcome to the forum and WetCanvas!
I believe there are a few issues with the Gallery Manager at the moment. Karyn is upgrading the servers so things should be working properly soon:)

MonicaB
11-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Welcome! :wave: This is fantastic (in all meanings of the word!). I don't have a lot of critique for you, sorry. I love it.

Yep, the gallery manager is on the fritz at the moment.

valchina612
11-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Welcome to WC and the Pen and Ink Forum. :wave:
I just love your tree and all of the faces etc. Excellent work all round, and I hope we see a lot more of your work. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

dogman63
11-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Very creative Steven love the faces in the bark great job.:thumbsup:

mudslinger
11-22-2007, 08:19 PM
wow- the more i look, the more faces i see...my only crit is that it's not part of a bigger piece! :D other than that, i might say that the shadows might need a little darkening, but that's just nitpicky. i think it looks great! :thumbsup:

RachelFlyer
11-22-2007, 11:43 PM
The more I look, the more I see. Anything that I keep coming back to is successful (in my book). Am I correct in seeing an elderly gentleman and his mustache on the left side, and that his nostril is also the eye of the lady just below and to the right?
Rachel

Ranger Dan
11-23-2007, 02:23 AM
Very interesting and well done. Looks like this one is pulling up roots and moving on.

gourdhead1997
11-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Thank you all very much for the nice comments. Sometimes as an amateur artist you aren't sure if you're on the right track. I agree with mudslinger that the shadows needed darkening. I was just afraid to go much further. It's hard to know when to say quit. Rachelflyer, you are absolutely correct. I think that is my favorite part. Thanks again all. I hope to post more since I figured it out.

elaine321
11-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Hey Steven! Welcome to our little group.
I love the tree, I have always loved looking at old trees and seeing shapes in their bark so I truly can relate to this one. Lots of fun looking at all the faces and the bird heads!!
I totally understand what you mean about being afraid to go further. I have learnt in the past that it is very easy to overwork something. I usually stop once I am feeling that way.
Good luck and keep the work coming!!

Bluegill
11-24-2007, 10:49 PM
That's a little creepy (if you know me, you know that's a compliment). Very nicely done. Another comment, which could be a criticism or a compliment, depending on how you want the picture to look, is that the large open-mouthed face at the top center trunk is very eye-catching and seems to dominate the other faces. My eye picks that one up first, and seems inclined to go back to it.

After I looked at all the faces, I noticed the very nicely done grass all around the base of the tree.

KreativeK
11-24-2007, 10:56 PM
:) Yep! The larger top of the tree face pops out at the viewer first then your eye goes on down to the bottom and grass (I'd add more grass) then back up which it should do. LOVE IT!!!!:clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: