GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: W - From WIP
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 10X10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
After a stretch with florals, I'm trying figures for a while and this is my first effort.<br>I was looking for a subject and picked this one because of the expressiveness of his face in several fotos I saw.<br>I also liked the challenge of getting the likeness.<br>I posted him in the WIP and the Portraiture forum, got some good ideas, incorporated them.<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?<br>No politics please, or W/C might be miffed!<br><br><br>

Dennis
11-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Politics aside, I like it a lot. You captured the expression very well. I also like the loose style.

HRobinson
11-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Perhaps the background lacks some interest however, for your first, it is a great likeness.

-h

thomas w
11-22-2007, 01:18 PM
You did a good job capturing his likeness in a loose style. I agree with HRobinson that the back ground could use some sort of feature.
Thomas W

tony1
11-22-2007, 01:55 PM
This came out great Bill. I read your comment on the eyes in the WIP post. I think you got the eyes very well, without going for the caricature.

Nice one.

belbibitt
11-22-2007, 02:32 PM
WOW! Fantastic! I mean the painting, not the man

Smoker
11-22-2007, 03:42 PM
The quality of your work deserves a better subject.

You really are an outstanding painter.

billmahler
11-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks to all who commented.
Regarding the background.. I'll see what I can so with it.

Dhuot
11-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Very well done, the nose is exact, only the voice is missing :rolleyes:
It is as rich and well executed as your florals
:)

eyecandy2
11-25-2007, 04:38 PM
you wasted your talent on the subject. You did a grate job. Too bad that he can't

billmahler
11-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Daniel - Merci Bien. Thank for you for your valued encouragement.
Phil - yes, I'm catching some flack here and there (especially from my grandsons.) Glad you liked the painting and thanks for your comment.

MRSBB
11-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Very good likeness, he still reminds me of Johnny Carson. Has that same smirk. Nice work............Lenore

nodakcoyote
11-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Inasmuch as he is my wife's cousin I feel that I can say with no exaggeration that you have captured the man. The only thing missing is the "word salad" that he and my wife have in common.

allanom
11-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Lovely paint application and colouration. I certainly knew it was Dubya.

billmahler
11-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Nodak .. thanks for the firsthand confirmation.
n"word salad"
Good one. I'll remember it.
Lenore.. Thanks. You're the third person who's seen the Johhny Carson connection. I saw the humor in his eyes but never connected it to JC.
Allan. Thank you for your comments. I've seen some of your likenesses and they're admirable.

corfublue
11-26-2007, 08:41 PM
what a wonderful painting.
Love the use of yellow.
vb

lunchbox
11-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Enjoyed all the comments :) The painting is excellent.

billmahler
11-28-2007, 09:53 AM
VP- Thank you. The yellow on the couch completed the picture for me, I think
Lunchbox. Thank you. Yes, the comments are fun to read!

graymare
11-28-2007, 11:45 AM
a wonderful likeness...the dark background is totally appropo to GW. the eyes are great, but i think his are a bit beadier. i too really like the loose style.

celestinehart
11-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Great portrait! I love the expression. Even as a liberal Dem. I appreciate this painting.

artforprofits.com
11-29-2007, 11:31 PM
that is a fantastic portrait, well done.

bluewindfisher
11-30-2007, 03:44 AM
This is a great portrait Bill.
I wouldn't clutter the background. If you want to change it, perhaps it could be a little darker in places, maybe the area just above the shoulders.
I think you have really captured a real personality here and a busy background may detract from that. :)
Regards
Graham

billmahler
11-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Thank you again to all who commented.
Carol - The cartoonists like to make his eyes beady, and I was tempted, but instead I painted them the way I saw them. They were the most difficult part of this painting.
Graham- yes, I've decided to leave the background alone.

Kiana Fecteau
11-30-2007, 01:01 PM
I think you did an excellent job. I like your use of colors and brushwork. Super!

Kiana

billmahler
01-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Update:
Around Christmas, I sent a print of this down to the White House with a Merry Christmas letter, saying that I'd be thrilled to send the original if they'd like to have it.

Well, a young lady from the White House called today and said they'd like me to send the original down. She couldn't guarantee it, but she thinks it will go into one of the libraries!

How about them apples!

horsthh
01-10-2008, 06:14 PM
This is a nice job, very good colors, likeness, the only thing I could find is the flag pin, my eye keeps going there, I would tone it down a little bit. Sorry I am no expert,
Horst

Kiana Fecteau
01-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Congratulations! That's really cool!

creodont
01-10-2008, 10:25 PM
WHO is it??????? Bill nice job and maybe you should do more. in fact portraits like this people would appreciate. In fact you might get them all to sit down shut up and listen to each other and a few other people while you are painting them. Georgie really would like this but so would Hilary and Obama and Ben laden and all the rest ...Well done Bill ....john

MRSBB
01-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Hi Bill and congradulations. I bet all of your friends here on Wet Canvas are proud of you, I know I am. It doesn't matter about politics, its a special honor you have achieved. Keep having fun..........Lenore

billmahler
02-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Update:
Around Christmas, I sent a print of this down to the White House with a Merry Christmas letter, saying that I'd be thrilled to send the original if they'd like to have it.

Well, a young lady from the White House called today and said they'd like me to send the original down. She couldn't guarantee it, but she thinks it will go into one of the libraries!

Well, I guess she showed him the picture and he liked it.

I received a letter signed by the president today:

Dear Bill:

Thank you for your beautiful painting. I appreciate your kind gesture and thoughtfulness.

Laura and I send our best wishes. May God bless you and may God bless America.

Sincerely,

George W. Bush

I have to repeat that this painting reflects several suggestions I received here. Without those suggestions and encouragement, it never would have happened.

What a wonderful place we have here!

MRSBB
02-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Congradulations Bill. This is quite an honor for you. I am so glad people with your talent are here to help us out. Your painting is spectacular and you should be very proud. Keep having fun.........Lenore

KYRed
02-02-2008, 12:23 AM
It's a very good likeness. Your style is great. Wouldn't it be interesting to see the faded colors of the red, white and blue behind him? This isn't actually a political statement, more of an aesthetic statement.

ejtupi
02-02-2008, 12:45 AM
It really is a great feeling for me to see your work appreciated like that, Bill. That is something to be tremendously proud about.

I just hope President Clinton appreciates your next one when she sees it. That will be so cool.....
(just pulling your leg, Bill....forgive me...?)

10Hollywood
02-02-2008, 12:55 AM
This has nothing to do with politics:

George Bush is an ill advised dunce who has driven this country half into a ditch. God Bless 1-19-08

If the majority of you don't agree with my sentiment then this place is not for me.

I don't mean to offend but I've been listening to this self righitious born agian silver spoon ivy league entitled eddie haskel mulberry right wing loon for 7 god dman years.

ENOUGH!

billmahler
02-02-2008, 09:10 AM
No politics, folks, or you'll get me in hot water with Dana!
There were no political motives behind this picture. I simply saw something I wanted to paint and painted it. Oddly, the couch behind him attracted my eye and completed the picture for me.
Of course, I'm tickled silly that he's seen it and likes it.