PDA

View Full Version : My first P&I - Mule Deer

DaleH
11-22-2007, 12:23 AM
First, let me say that this is my first post. If I'm breaking any board protocol, please let me know.

I normally work in a different medium and all I really use is a line drawing (at most). A friend of mine suggested that since I'm using line drawings, I should try pen and ink, archive them and maybe sell them. So I grabbed a couple Micron pens and a piece of printer paper (and got some guidance from Mel) and drew the attached. I have to say that this is WAY more than I need for other purposes, so my pursuit of this medium will really depend on whether I have any aptitude for it.

What I could use is your honest critiques. Detail is better than the generic "looks good" or "looks a little off" kind of thing. I have some specific questions, but I'll wait for your first thoughts before I target my concern areas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dale

Ranger Dan
11-22-2007, 02:56 AM
I like what I'm seeing here Dale. My only crit at this point is the neck seems a tad thick. As far as outlining bright or white areas, I think it looks fine, but remember that most times when we see lights it is because there are darks behind them. Since many of us steer clear of doing skies, I don't think anyone will touch that.

OH, and welcome!:wave:

valchina612
11-22-2007, 03:19 AM
Welcome to WetCanvas and the Pen and Ink Forum Dale. :wave:
I really like your inkwork and I hope you will do more. You have some great techniques going there. We have some excellent Tutorials at the top of this page by artistdbs that you may like to read, and I'm sure you'll find them very interesting, as the rest of us have. I hope we will see more from you very soon. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

tazzers2007
11-22-2007, 08:46 AM
I think you have a done a great job with this one !However i do agree that the point in the neck does seem to be a little thick other then great work.

MonicaB
11-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I hate to disappoint you, but this looks great, esp for a newbie to ink! I can't give you much more advice than you've already gotten, other than to say you could probably leave more highlights in the eyes. But very good start!

fleming13
11-22-2007, 11:24 AM
The neck is a bit large, but if your reference pic was from a rutting mule deer they swell up a lot. So it's not that big of a deal to me. The Mountain is a bit distracting for me. The technique you used is so different from the rest that my eye goes toward the mountain more than the deer. It looks good and is a good style, I'm just not sure it meshes with the rest of the pic. Of course it also depends on why you are doing the drawing and maybe it fits your reasons. Just my .02. One heck of a first start by the way. I am assuming you may have been drawing like this with pencils before? Just wondering. Keep posting. I am wanting to practice the scribble/scumble style and really like to see others do it.

heavyiron
11-22-2007, 01:09 PM
I'd like to see a little more detail on the tops of the antlers. The trees behind the deer are excellent!

Dave Slaughter
11-22-2007, 02:17 PM
I think the deer and trees are well done. I think the mountain distracts, and the shading on the mountain doesn't seem to convey a specific light source, as it does on the deer.
I think the buck's neck is ok. The necks get very large on mature bucks during the rut. I am attaching a photo showing this.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2007/83835-muley-buck.jpg

objectivistartist
11-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Yep - all that hormonal 'puffing up'...:eek::lol::lol::rolleyes:

DaleH
11-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Thank you all for helping me out. And thanks for the accolades, too.

As far as the neck is concerned, it doesn't bother me...it is an accurate representation, but I can go either way with it.

Dan: Good point about using contrast rather than outlines. I'll keep it in mind next time around. My natural tendency is to draw outlines which is probably why there are an excess in this drawing.

Val: I viewed all the tutorials I could find here. In fact, that's the technique I used for the foliage.

Monica: Working on it. Have any tips for doing doing an eye this small?

Fleming: This was one of my target concern areas. A couple things happened. I noticed there wasn't much contrast between the deer and trees and I didn't want the same thing to happen to the mountain. I also was struggling with making it look realistic (I strive for detail). Ultimately, I essentially just gave up until I could figure out how to do it better.

Heavyiron: What kind of detail would you be looking for on the antlers? I think it could use some more color, but I don't know about detail.

Dave: I have a problem with the mountain too...see the comments above.

Now for the specific questions: I could use some guidance on the mountain. Any recommended techniques? I'm also really not happy with the grass. Any pointers you can give me would help. And finally, is there a treatment recommended for the sky?

I've started this one again with some tech pens on bristol board (turns out I already owned the pens from my drafting days). With these tips and some others I got elsewhere, I should be able to improve it some.

Thanks again for all your help....Dale

heavyiron
11-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Heavyiron: What kind of detail would you be looking for on the antlers? I think it could use some more color, but I don't know about detail.

To me it looks like the antlers are just outlined at the tops...I thought a little shading might add to them to give them more of a realistic look.

MonicaB
11-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Hi Dale. I guess you've noticed that when you ask for opinions, you'll get them! :lol:

For eyes, I would suggest checking out our Animal and Wildlife forum. If they don't already have some tutorials or WIPS on doing eyes, I bet they will know where to find some instruction online. :D