PDA

View Full Version : Woodcut Print-X post from printmaking

Barbara Art
11-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Finally, I have something Southwestern to post here! It's a bit out of place in with all the good wishes for a happy Thanksgiving (though I wish everyone that, too).
It's a 6" x 8" woodcut on banana paper. I did a drawing from a photo a friend took in the Nevada desert, transferred it to shina plywood and printed it in oil-based ink. Watercolor was added to the tarantula's body to approximate the color. I've seen lots of these huge spiders, but never a "wild" one. It's probably just as well!
Barbara

Trilby
11-21-2007, 10:03 PM
This is very striking! Tarantulas are not aggressive and can be tamed. I've known them to come to a name even. They can live 30 years and actually make interesting pets. If holding one be protective of the body. these big hairy fellows break easily, especially if dropped.
TJ

objectivistartist
11-22-2007, 04:08 AM
Yep - my ex had a mexican red - beautiful hairy spider.... loved watching it do the lazy way of getting her supper of crickets - raise herself and let them crawl under her, then drop and consume them......:eek::evil:

Diane Cutter
11-22-2007, 11:18 AM
It's a great piece, Barbara... I love the strong shadows, which really help highlight the spider...

Diane

sassybird
11-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Barbara, I love tarantulas, and you did a great job on this one. A friend of mine had one that would sit on your shoulder and pet your face with one leg. They are special creatures.

Barbara Art
11-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for your comments, folks. I'd heard that tarantulas were friendly and make good pets, but somehow I can't picture letting one pet my face, Charissa! :eek: Also, Trilby, I had no idea they lived that long. Yow! Smart, too, apparently (Robert's cricket story says it all). Diane, I liked the shadows, too; I think that's what drew me to want to do a woodcut of the image in the first place.
Barbara