PDA

View Full Version : any lessons in using a blending medium with acrylics?

ocho
06-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Does anyone know where I can get some information on blending with acrylic color. I am taking a course with a career art institute. And I am on pastels. But I have to paint an undercolor painting with acrylics and I am experimenting with a blending medium for acylics. I have the painting. I guess it will work better when I start applying the pastels.

Is there a lesson using a blending medium with acrylic colors, so I can see what I am doing?

TheLymner
06-09-2002, 09:04 PM
ocho, I have no experience in using acrylic blenders for I use acrylics more like a tempera or, if you will, a "liquid pastel." When working I will mix up several values of the hue I am working with and and apply them in gradually lighter or darker values as necessary. Since I want them to dry as quickly as possible I will use a small fan or a hair dryer on low to accelerate their drying time. Also, I do any blending with my fingers or a large stumple which I have dipped into acrylic and allowed to dry in order to seal it. Hope this is of assistance.

Danny E Haislet
TheLymner

dspinks
06-09-2002, 09:54 PM
I add matte or gloss medium to acrylics to thin them slightly. It helps the paint go on more smoothly and in thinner layers and makes blending easier. I use a ratio of about 1:4 medium to paint, but that can vary depending on the viscosity of the particular color. In a higher ratio, it also help make translucent, watercolor-like effects or glazes. It is better than adding lots of water as water breaks up the color but medium just thins it out. I mist my paints with water just enough to keep them moist, not to thin them.
Debra

KarenU
06-10-2002, 01:44 AM
Just a few days ago I bought a small bottle of Golden's Retarder. You mix a small amount with your acrylic paint to slow the drying process...among other things. I mainly wanted to try this to aid in better blending of the acrylics, and let me tell you, it works wonderfully. It slowed the drying enough that I was able to achieve some fabulous blends.

Linarty
06-10-2002, 06:08 AM
Liquitex has just come out with a new medium that combines blending and extending in a 'medium', which is the polymer base rather than an additive. I have not been able to find it in stores yet, but they have sent me info and art magazines have announced it.....I am eagerly awaiting it.

ikre8t
06-10-2002, 09:53 AM
Love the Retarder..........TRY IT. Karen is right!!

Johnnie
11-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by KarenU
Just a few days ago I bought a small bottle of Golden's Retarder. You mix a small amount with your acrylic paint to slow the drying process...among other things. I mainly wanted to try this to aid in better blending of the acrylics, and let me tell you, it works wonderfully. It slowed the drying enough that I was able to achieve some fabulous blends.

Hi Karen

I noticed your using Golden retarder.

I was wondering if you have ever put any in a small squirt bottle to spray your palette or right onto the canvas/masonite/ to slow drying down.??

If so What ratio did you use and how big of a bottle. I dont want to waste the retarder it aint cheap.

Anyone else know, feel free to accomodate!! ;)

Johnnie

dspinks
11-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Hi Johnnie,

It is recommended by Golden that you not use the liquid retarder in a mist situation (to avoid inhalation). Instead, mix the retarder directly into the paint on your palette with your palette knife, at no more than 15% volume. I generally use gel retarder so it's easier to visualize the volume.

After I mix it into the paint, I then thin with acrylic medium to desired texture. I occasionally mist with plain water during the painting session, more often if humidity is really low.

Using this method, my paints generally stay well open for at least 3-hours. I haven't tried to store it for longer times, I usually pace my amounts to last just through the session.

Debra

dspinks
11-08-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Linarty
Liquitex has just come out with a new medium that combines blending and extending in a 'medium', which is the polymer base rather than an additive. I have not been able to find it in stores yet, but they have sent me info and art magazines have announced it.....I am eagerly awaiting it.

Hi Linarty,

I've seen both Liquitex and Golden glazing mediums - the Liquitex one for some reason was labeled "fast drying" which to me seemed to defeat the purpose. I bought the Golden one which said "slow drying." So far it is working great. I mix retarder and medium as I've described above for my base colors, then mix for color adjustments. Then, when I want really transculent work or fine blending, I pull aside a little of the base color and further thin with the glazing medium.

It is the method I used for my tulip work:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107601

Debra

LarrySeiler
11-09-2003, 05:45 AM
I've done a number of pastels over an acrylic under painting, and water was all that was needed as a medium.

You really only need to build up the darker values of each mass for which to stroke the pastel over. You allow areas of the underpainting to be seen typically, and the blending is more accomplished with the pastel layering.

Here's one I did-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41754

and this one, which shows more steps-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38614

good luck...

Larry