PDA

View Full Version : Gas for 2 Cents

FULLERARTIST
11-18-2007, 09:13 PM
I got inspired by Lisilk's Gas for 2 Cents image in our image gallery and would appreciate C&Cs. Thanks, Kayhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2007/117702-shell.jpg

CharM
11-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Hi Kay... you have a lot of interesting textures in this piece... it's beautiful... almost pastel-like... I do wish you hadn't used black for your shadows, though... you can mix your shadow colours by using complements to create a myriad of greys... these will look much more natural, with the bonus of adding life to your painting...

painterbear
11-19-2007, 05:23 AM
Kay,
What an interesting composition. Love the theme of the old-fashioned gas pumps against the hills in the background.

I agree with Char about the shadows. Another way to come up with compatible darks in a painting is to mix a little of each of the colors you used in the piece.

I like the juxtaposition of the greenish-gold hillside against the purple but I think its outline is a little straight, might look more natural if it were a little more bumpy or wavy.

I like the way you painted the pumps themselves a lot. Nice use of color in both the glass tops and the metal bottoms.

Sylvia

FULLERARTIST
11-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks Char and Sylvia. I did use a misture of what I call pallette gray, all the crap tha ends up in the corners and intensified it with some brown and puple, maybe a tad of paynes gray. It does not look as black in real life, but sure shows that way on the screen. After looking at it here, it looks like I need to widen the lower part of the rear tank a little so it is wider than the top piece. Any other recommendations?

olliewood0702
11-19-2007, 03:41 PM
A think of the past....great painting!

HarvestMoon
11-19-2007, 07:27 PM
I love this.... oh, if we could hold them to that '2 cent' price LOL

laudesan
11-19-2007, 11:43 PM
I think this is a super painting, and I love the purples.

I don't ever remember seeing gas tanks that look like that how neat are they!!!!!

Cheers JJ

FULLERARTIST
11-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all and much appreciation for your comments, Kay