PDA

View Full Version : Late Afternoon & Foggy Morning in Nashville, TN

sancyr
11-18-2007, 03:21 PM
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/222139986-M.jpg
14" x 11", oil on canvas

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/222759677-M.jpg
20" x 16", oil on canvas

2nd time out. OK, wow. Working just slightly bigger is so much more difficult. I think the next time I try the 16x20 size it will have to be a site I return to multiple times. Yikes. :eek: Fog doesn't happen around here often so I'm bummed.

I like the first one much more than the second, I think because the composition and movement feels more like me. I find myself trying new things with each painting and I feel more relaxed every time I go out. It is so nice to be out even though I watched my hands chap this last time! I'll have to look into the fingertip-less gloves I've seen some of you winter painters sporting. C&C is heartily welcomed.

Donna T
11-18-2007, 07:10 PM
These are your 2nd plein airs? Darn, no way did I do this well my 2nd time out! I like the bright light and shadows in the first one. I like that you also suggested the leaves instead of painting each one. Your foggy atmosphere really comes across in the second one. I just bought a pair of fleece fingertip-less gloves. I hope they hold up well to pastel dust.

Donna

Elannie
11-19-2007, 06:28 AM
Great light and color in that first one! Very nice!

Bobbo
11-19-2007, 06:40 AM
very impressive...very strong!
love the shadows and light in the first one
the second has a good hazy mood,
i would have smudged the twigs of that bare tree

Shelley Grund
11-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Late Afternoon has great drama - you did a wonderful job of catching that late day sun shining through the trees! Foggy Morning is lovely - just don't hang it next to Late Afternoon :) It's quiet subtlety is lost when seen next to the other's drama. Both are well done!

E.Milz
11-19-2007, 08:26 AM
I love the first one, it has a lot of vibration and direction.
I love the light and your free and loose brushwork.

great
Eckhardt

bnoonan
11-19-2007, 10:56 AM
I like them both. I'm attracted to the strong light and shadow shapes but the second one is more muted and must have been more of a challenge to paint - so I appreciate that too.

bArb

sancyr
11-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Donna - Thanks for the compliments! Would you mind sharing what brand of gloves you've gotten and how your experience with them has been so far?

Elannie - Thanks. I'm most pleased with that one of the 4 I've done so far!

Bobbo - Thank you very much! Smudged the branches how?

Shelley Grund - Thank you too! I kind of like them hanging together. It provides more contrast. I've been hanging these around my studio on nails. They seem to encourage me to go out and paint again and again. :)

Eckhardt - Thank you! I'm hoping the vibration is a good thing and not a product of my teeth chattering near the end. I've been wondering how tight I want to get my brushwork for these. For now, I've just been going with the flow.

bnoonan - The afternoon one was a string of aha moments. The foggy one was more contemplative. It was a little more challenging and more long-attention span.

Thank you all.

Donna T
11-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Hi Sancyr, I got my gloves from Sierra Trading Post. They were in the clearance section and I just happened to see them and thought they might come in handy. I've only used them once for sketching and they were nice. It says Manzella on their tag. I tried to find them for you at Sierra and it seems like they are gone. Sorry! I checked with Eastern Mountain Sports and found something similar:
http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442594305&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302886711&bmUID=1195495526508

Hope this helps,
Donna

sancyr
11-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Hope this helps,
Donna

It does! Thank you.

Sonni
11-19-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm jealous. Out twice and you do THIS? The first has wonderful light and shadows, good composition. The second is a complicated composition. I admire your ability to push yourself to try in a large size.

metalhead
11-19-2007, 07:43 PM
I really like the 1st one. You found a great spot, great light, and made it work.

The 2nd one is not bad either, and considering it's 16x20... dang! You're ambitious, that's for sure.

James or Jimmy Jim
11-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Sara, I also prefer the first one - very strong! I also took out large canvases, at first.

JD Hannah
11-19-2007, 09:20 PM
nice work. Not bad for your second time out. I like the shadows on the first one as well as the atmosphere you painted in the second.

sancyr
11-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Sonni - Thank you! Actually, large sizes don't intimidate me, but I've since learned a valuable lesson when working large plein air. It's a completely different animal!

metalhead - Heh. I don't know how ambitious I've been! I've yet to travel farther than 2 miles from my house to find these spots and I'm usually within a stone's throw of my car. I think when I start hiking and wearing snow shoes I'll call myself ambitious. :) I just tend to tackle new things fearlessly with mixed results!

James - Thank you! What made you go smaller or bigger?

JD Hannah - I've still got so much to learn, but I'm happy that I've been a little more relaxed outside, and I'm thinking better on my feet. Thanks!