PDA

View Full Version : By the Fireside.... November 18 - 24, 2007

objectivistartist
11-18-2007, 07:54 AM
[puff.....puff..... :::whish :::] Ahhhhh - FINALLY!!! some fire here.....:eek::clap:
Been a cold week - doesn't ANYONE know how to rub two sticks together anymore?????:mad: Flick a bic maybe? Singeing an old moss?:rolleyes:

[now for some coffee......:D ]:lol: :lol: :lol:

sassybird
11-18-2007, 02:40 PM
LOL Robert. At least you got the fire started. Brrrrrrrr! It is cold here too and very wet.

I have all my Christmas shopping done. Now to get them wrapped and in the mail the day after Thanksgiving. We are going to my step daughters house for Thanksgiving this year. That is always fun since we get to see the grandbabies.

Hope everyone thta celebrates the holiday has a good turkey day.

Jo Castillo
11-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the fire! It was cool here, too. 50 degrees Friday morning. 68 now however.

We will have the kids out on Friday for Thanksgiving. Work and other plans. Jennie and our grand dogs will be out Wednesday. We will have steak that day and the turkey, etc., on Friday. Her birthday is Saturday, so will celebrate that, too. Lots of good food!

Hope everyone has a great holiday and week. Probably won't be posting much.

Later,
Jo

Diane Cutter
11-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Good to see all of you...

We will be spending a different kind of Thanksgiving, a potluck among 40 friends at nearby beach. We don't join in every year but are always invited... It's a group of people who don't have family on the island but friends have become 'family'. Though at the beach, the food is definitely traditional... 3 turkeys, multiple pies, yams, veggies, cranberry sauce... among people you enjoy.

Diane

Enchanted
11-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Well, it's been delightful Indian Summer weather where I live for several weeks now, but that is all forecast to change in the next couple of days with the "possibility" of snow or rain on turkey day.

My Turkey Day:
I've been invited to take advantage of a friend's membership at the "most exclusive" country club in my area where the restaurant (private too of course) is reknowned for its "gourmet" meals. In fact the friend with the membership paid a "lifetime" fee of $20,000 for the "social" membership that allows her to eat or drink there in the restaurant / bar - but NOT for free. There is still a normal charge for everthing consumed, just as there is in a normal restaurant / bar. I have no idea what a golfing membership would cost but will probably find out on Thursday.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate the holiday!

Oh yeah. Yesterday I baked my first of two batches of German "Stollen" (Xmas holiday bread) that I bake every year for a few family members who acquired the taste for it when my mom baked it as her annual "donation."

:wave:

Diane Cutter
11-19-2007, 01:17 PM
I can almost smell the bread from here, Jack... No, wait, that's my bread baking!

Diane

sassybird
11-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Jo, it sounds like you will have a long holiday with lots of loved ones around.

Diane, we used to have potlucks in California for Thanksgiving and Christmas for those that had no family around. We weren't on the beach though. Your holiday festivites sounds like a lot of fun.

Enchanted, it sounds like you are going to have a grand time at the country club. I hope you enjoy every minute of it. I have never heard of German "Stollen" bread. You said it is an aquired taste. What does it taste like? I love all breads.

objectivistartist
11-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Glad y'all having good Thanksgiving.... mine will be a turkey sandwich and beer [or port perhaps] in front of the tv watching the Macy parade..... then putting up the tree and stuff afterwards.....:thumbsup: quiet and little fuss......

Jo Castillo
11-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Diane, Hope you have a great time at the beach. We always had fun in SA but it was strange to be sunning and swimming and eating tamales. :)

Enchanted, your day sounds like fun, too. We looked at buying a house and membership at one of the clubs there and then decided we will just rent for a while so we can go different places. It was not cheap, but looked nice!

Robert, you are taking it easy for the rest of us. :)

Charissa, enjoy the grandkids. Ours are in Kentucky. :(

Have a happy,

Jo

Trilby
11-19-2007, 08:04 PM
A local restaurant that is something of our local club house always puts out a great home cooked style thanksgiving free for the community so I am going there this year. No fuss, no muss, but also no leftovers, but can't have everything. Have finished the Christmas shopping and will actually get it wrapped and boxed for shipment this weekend. It is really hard to believe it is holiday time again as we continue to have really warm weather. A few clouds earlier in the week with a short rain but otherwise dry. It's great for working outside,of course. I am finally off my art merry go round of shows. We moved our big Fall Member's Judged show from the mall to the Association's gallery and reopened it with a wonderful elegant reception and awards night. It has been very successful all around and so worth the work it's been for all the helping hands. We must have hadd 150 folk in our little gallery that's less than1400 square feet. Work sold (including mine) I took a 3rd place in pastels and felt honored, lots of great feed back and excitement about everyone's fine work. That was my last art responsibility except for some commissions so I've been relaxing a bit and will this week end put my house and yard back to rights or at least make the start. I'll wait another couple of weeks before resuming the painting schedule. More sunsets and southwest themes on the idea board, of course, but some playful ideas too, like natural abstracts.
TJ

Enchanted
11-19-2007, 08:40 PM
I have never heard of German "Stollen" bread. You said it is an aquired taste. What does it taste like? I love all breads.
There are probably as many different recipes for "stollen" on the internet as there are taste buds on one's tongue, Clarissa. Results 1 - 10 of about 1,730,000 for stollen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stollen)My mom's recipe uses the same sort of dried fruits as are found in ordinary fruit cake, but the taste is TOTALLY unlike fruit cake. I've given the bread I make to people unfamiliar with it and it's rare that they like it well enough to try it a second time. But my family members who were literally raised on my mom's baking and cooking all look forward to it once a year - not unlike eating turkey in that regard, I guess. Once or twice a year is enough!!

:D

objectivistartist
11-19-2007, 10:07 PM
That is basically it - fruitcake made with white bread mix, sweetened.... if ye not like fruitcake, hard to like stollen... BUT - if ye like fruitcake, welllll then......:lol::lol::evil:

[as a retired baker, just thought I'd throw that in......:D]