PDA

View Full Version : British Watercolour Society

Dodger37
11-17-2007, 06:46 PM
How do you become a member of the BWS? Are there any benefits in joining them?

Are any other WetCanvas users members and if so what have you got from being a member......

Yorky
11-18-2007, 05:09 AM
I believe Arnold Lowery is a member.

Doug

Roun2it
11-18-2007, 06:18 AM
I don't think it's a club you join, you are invited after submitting paintings to accredited shows if you win you are invited to the Academy and are awarded Membership. It's a prestige thing.

But then again there are many Clubs Societies who go under similar names, which one are you considering, if you give us a link to the Website you are interested in we maybe better abled to help.

jaytee
11-18-2007, 10:56 AM
I did a Google search and came up with a website.........it seems its been absorbed into another society

http://www.britpaint.com/artists.html

non of the sites it linked to offered any info on membership.... though most of the on-line gallery artists have letter after their name that Idont understand... CIG for example.

It seems they have several annual exhibitions .. and I think one may me that that you visited ( or nearly visited) earlier this year Doug...... In Knaresborough ?

Arnold Lowrey
11-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Sorry Doug, I don't belong to any watercolour Societies except my local one ( The South Wales Art Society) and there is no restrictions on membership there. The two elite watercolour societies in UK are the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolour -the RI) and the Royal Watercolour Society.
The first is based in the Mall Galleries in London. The second seems to be based in the Bankside gallery, London.
I dont know a lot about the second ,but i can tell you you what I know about the first. The RI is based in the Mall Galleries, which is run by the Federation of British Artists.. They hold an annual exhibition there , usually about February/march time. Full RI members are allowed to automatically exhibit 6 paintings each. Anybody can enter paintings and they are judged for selection - up to 5. They accept all watermedia. I entered some with my pal, Des Hawkins, about 10 years ago we didn't tell any body (heh heh!)
He got 5 out of 5 selected and i got none. I was spitting blood as it had been my idea. However, Des is a fantastic artist so we are still very good friends.
The following year i got one selected and it sold on the opening day..
I then lost interest because it was quite expensive delivering / collecting paintings etc involving up to 4-5 trips. So I convinced my self that "been there , done that!"
However,if you get selected regularly, then you can be asked to submit a portfolio of work and eventually be made a full RI
There are only about 40 in the country. Though I would dearly love to have followed that route, I was tied up too much in making a living teaching art in workshops etc.
The annually exhibition holds about 300-400 paintings and is a must if you are in London about that time. Just walk from Trafalgar Squre through Admiality Arch and it is down about 200 yards on the right. Throughpout the year the Federation host a series of exhibitions - the pastel society. Marine Artists Oil painters, the Wildlife artists etc - alway worth a visit (see their website for the program of dates)
Hope that helps as i still try to convince myself i did the right thing!
Arnold