PDA

View Full Version : first post and (one of my) first acrylic paintings

Keith P
06-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Hello,
I'm new here. I'm starting to get an interest in traditional art, instead of just pencil or digital.
I'm 18 and just graduated from high school a few days ago. I'm from around Pittsburgh, PA anyone else live around there? Maybe the south part of Butler County?

and here's info about the image (copied and pasted from somewhere else, no sense in rewriting it 5 times for each message board, eh?)
hey,
Just got done with an acrylic painting a week or so ago. It's one of my first paintings ever, and my first time ever doing anything in color from a direct observation.
the flash from the digi cam kinda messed it up. Up at the top, to the right of the lamp shade, it's almost practically black there (i mixed a lot of black with some green for that) and the flash made it look light! :evil: I think I'm gonna scan it in in pieces and put it all together in photoshop.
so, what do you think?

Well... I've done 2 finished acrylic paintings before. They were both rush jobs for school; one for english class (i did a 16 x 20 inch canvas over one weekend, and I work SLOW) and the other was for art class, i had to turn in one last project at the end of the year, and so I quickly did it on a small canvas in about 2 days.
I've also done 2 other paintings that were 25-50% finished, but I never finished them for some reason.
So... I don't know how many paintings you consider that. lol. I'll just say it's one of my first since it's my first REAL try at it and my first color from observation.

edit: fixed the shtuff
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2002/stilllife_finished.jpg

thanks man.... and that's WEIRD! I guess I'll change mine around and put my last name in there. lol You'll probably end up having the same last name too. hahaha

blkros
06-08-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Keith P

how do you display the image in the actual post, instead of a link? :confused:
You need to go to the top of the page, and click on the uploader button. Then upload the image off your computer, and copy the url, and paste it in your post. Interesting peice, by the way.
Oh, and one of us is going to have to change his sig, I think. ROTFLMAO.:D :D

blkros
06-08-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Keith P

thanks man.... and that's WEIRD! I guess I'll change mine around and put my last name in there. lol You'll probably end up having the same last name too. hahaha

Nope, different last name. I thought that this was hilarious, because I added the P. to my sig so people wouldn't confuse me with Keith Russell. Keep on chugging at your art kiddo, you've made a good start.

Keith P
06-09-2002, 03:04 AM
lol, that's really funny.

thanks for the replies :)

mf.sutton
06-09-2002, 06:49 AM
Keith, welcome to wetcanvas, this is a very very good painting, the glass is outstanding and the material folds on the chickens garb is extremely good also, keep painting my friend and keep posting, look forward to seeing more - mike

KarenU
06-09-2002, 11:57 AM
Keith...Welcome to Wet Canvas.....really nice painting! I agree with Mike...the glass is rendered very nicely as well as the reflection in the green ceramic pot next to the glass. All in all a wonderful painting and I'll look forward to seeing more of your work!

paintergirl
06-09-2002, 01:46 PM
Great painting and your first time out no less! You are defintely 'at home' in acrylics! :D

Love how you rendered the glass, and the reflection of everything on the ceramic green pot. Great texture with the fold and shadows on the sheet...really great work Keith!
You have so much dimension with all your objects, maybe just round out the base of the lampshade a wee bit. Am still being drawn back to that glass...excellent! And the subtle reflection on the top surface of the lamps base, that 'sheen' that is apparent ...great detail!

Can't wait to see more! :D

Keith P
06-09-2002, 03:34 PM
thanks for the comments and critiques :)

paintergirl: thanks a lot i appreciate it. you mentioned rounding out the lampshade a bit... do you have any idea how I could do that? The light source was coming from the inside of it, of course, so there's not really much shading. I don't know what to do to it :-\

KarenU: thanks a lot, yo! I work pretty slow, so I don't know when I'll have something else up.

mf.sutton: thanks :) I hope to get some more up, but yeah... i work really slow, so, maybe I'll have something up sometime soon.

For my next painting I have two ideas:
1) a star wars poster, as if I was the guy doing the actual posters for the movies. I'm thinking of doing Episode III, and I'm guessing the subtitle would be "Fall of the Jedi" or I'd just do Episode 2

2) a painting of "The Last Supper" by Da Vinci; but all the people at the table are Knights dressed up in red chicken suits (like in this painting)!!!

whaddya think? lol
actually, I was thinkin of doing some plein aire. We'll see though.

orchidlover6
06-11-2002, 03:20 PM
welcome. glad to see someone helped you with your questions.
nice composition you've posted. looking forward to more.