PDA

View Full Version : The Peacock Painting

ViolentPaint
11-16-2007, 11:49 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-16-2007/72985_print_photo_peacock2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Peacock Painting
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 18x14 in
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
I had a lot of fun creating this one. It's the very first one I did of this series with an animal that didn't have fur. It was in fact my brother's idea to have the lady peacock holding a fan of hands instead of feathers.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything anyone can point out would be really helpful.<br><br>

creodont
11-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Although I enjoy this PAINTING> it is unusual for peacocks are male but you gave them a human female body> an unspoken message? what is very fascinating is the beautiful hedge maze in the background>>>>>>>>john

Corby
11-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Creodont is more discerning than me, I didn't note the incongruity of the male head on a female body....hehehe....guess I was to busy just trying to survive the incongruity of things in general! What an idea! It could be smoothed out a bit. The palette sort of makes my eyes spin. The bright orange in the background really forces its way to the front and does war with those rather gruesome pink hands in the center of the canvas. The crest on the head , it seems to be a crest, would work better if it were the same green as in the dress. The orange color makes it indistinguishable from the maze. The corner brackets are a distraction, they have a Mongolian or Tibetan look to them...yes, this is an amazing piece of art. As I said, it would benefit from being worked up a bit. I would then entitle it "Riddle Me This"

ViolentPaint
11-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Although I enjoy this PAINTING> it is unusual for peacocks are male but you gave them a human female body> an unspoken message? what is very fascinating is the beautiful hedge maze in the background>>>>>>>>john

LOL I didn't think about that, well that's not entirely true. When I was looking for photo references for the animal head I was going to use I opted for the male head because the colors are brighter, after that I forgot about it until you pointed it out to me. It gives it a nice twist though, doesn't it? At any rate I'm glad you liked the maze in the back. I debated for a while whether to put it in or not.
Thank you for your comment.

ViolentPaint
11-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Creodont is more discerning than me, I didn't note the incongruity of the male head on a female body....hehehe....guess I was to busy just trying to survive the incongruity of things in general! What an idea! It could be smoothed out a bit. The palette sort of makes my eyes spin. The bright orange in the background really forces its way to the front and does war with those rather gruesome pink hands in the center of the canvas. The crest on the head , it seems to be a crest, would work better if it were the same green as in the dress. The orange color makes it indistinguishable from the maze. The corner brackets are a distraction, they have a Mongolian or Tibetan look to them...yes, this is an amazing piece of art. As I said, it would benefit from being worked up a bit. I would then entitle it "Riddle Me This"

Hi and first off thanks for responding. I think the color may be off on the computer you're using, the roads in background are yellow, not orange and the hands, I'm assuming you mean the ones in the hand fan, are a pale lilac color (they are pretty gruesome). The crest on the peacock's head was actually supposed to look like a mantilla, which would have made more sense had the background been a ballroom or bullfighting arena. As for the brackets they do look out of place, I had painted them on a year before when I was planning on using this panel for another painting that was never made. I was just too stubborn to paint them out, however in hindsight they were more trouble than they were worth to paint around.
It means a great deal to me that you took the time to critique my work.:)

creodont
11-20-2007, 09:45 PM
You have wonderful paintings. I keep thinking of stage or theater where animals express emotion or attitude of chracters.........Like em a lot.......John

John Jaster
11-21-2007, 12:21 PM
On top of all the other comments I want to add the decorated corners are interesting because they sort of add a Far East feel like a mural painted in some temple. And although the hand fan idea was your brother's it adds an interesting twist and the fact the same ring appears on several of the hands makes me wonder if it's supposed to be the artist's hand in various stages of creating.

Corby
11-22-2007, 07:46 PM
I looked in at what you are doing with these images, they are marvelously suited and work so well!