PDA

View Full Version : The Mammoth Managerie..WIP

giddy up
11-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Well......I decided to do a WIP here on WC...:).......I have been so very inspired with all of the wonderful work here on these forums, that I decided
to share this journey with all of you...for better or worse:lol:.....

Linda and I recently had a meeting with the CEO of the Circus World Museum
and have paired up with them and will be creating works exclusively for them.
:D....we are very excited.....they will sell our prints, and display our originals
there...we have some possible dates for shows and receptions next summer..
as well as an art weekend where we will paint on site and have some kids
paint with us.....they will sell our work on their website and are going to
publish a catalog, which will include our works as well......we are SOOOOO
over the moon excited about this venture......:heart:......AND.....the best part
is that they have given us access to the archives of photos and posters
from 1860-1960.....they have over 300,000 photos from those years
and they own the copyrights to all of them.....and we have free reign to
produce works from them.......free and clear!:D.....now THAT is incredible..

SO......without further ado.....this is a image that I just fell in love with...
Linda....:heart:......did some research to find out the particulars of this image...

The SELLS-FLOTO Circus was a large circus that came to Chicago on
April 11, 1391.....we could barely make out CHICAGO on the building in
the background.....SO, Linda searched dates....and we found that
April 11th fell on a Saturday in 1931.......she then seached Chicago
archives and found articles about the show at the Coliseum....
GOOD JOB LINDA :)........she is such a dear...:heart:.....
Dating these shows is easier.....but finding city info as to what city they
are in, can be tricky with out a prominant landmark or something in the
photo....

I am using 300lb hot press..Arches full sheet....I drew out the entire image
after making some composition adjustments......there was some trash in the street, some poles and small strange stumps...? all confusing...so they were omitted......

I want to do a series of works, that can convey just how EXCITING it
was at one time when the circus came to your town......businesses closed.
schools closed......thousands lined the streets for blocks....all hoping
to get a glimpse of something they had only read about......it was truly
larger than life......and during the depression, folks needed any escape
from reality that they could get.....even a air conditioned movie house
if they could afford to go.....they needed some fun in their lives...
and Circus's provided that.......

So I decided to keep the image in sepia tone.....the town....and surroundings, black and white and rather dismal....and make the posters
and circus events in GLORIOUS COLOR......( fun, colorful exciting, circus
livens drab dull cold world....).....my thought anyhow...we will see how
it comes together and works as a comp......the color will be the focal
point....and should pull together nicely.....and should be a popular saleable
image for the Museum....

So I used M Graham Sepia....lovely color....very permanent and transparent
takes nice multiple washes and can be lifted...does not overly stain....

here is the first stage......sorry I started painting before we took a photo
of the drawing only......hehe......overly excited I guess..:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2007/81010-stage1.JPG

I love that old delivery truck in the street....really dates the piece....
I layed in the darkest darks first....then laid washes over the entire
thing to get the values I wanted....I can lift out highlights as needed
later....I don't want too much detail back there....but some

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2007/81010-stage2.JPG

more sepia....working the bricks and some foreground area....just
blocking in values at this point.....adding a touch of neutral tint
to the sepia to darken it slightly...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2007/81010-stage3.JPG

more darks......and some lifting of some subtle highlights.....
I may lift more once I am closer to finished.....if I think that the
bricks look too flat...lots of texture.....stipple....and sometimes I
paint with the side of a flat brush 3/4 inch....skipping it along the paper..
hit and miss with the surface....to add texture.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2007/81010-stage3a.JPG

here is a close up of what is going on......lifting and wet in wet areas...
dry brush areas.....creating texture on this hot press paper.....which is
like painting on a TABLECLOTH!! :lol:....WOW...is it smooth....and very
absorbant....

Will post more soon......

thanks everyone:wave:

Greg

AmyLC
11-16-2007, 11:23 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! What an exciting (and well deserved) venture for you both!! It's so neat that you are taking time to really research and decipher the pictures - that will come through in your work for sure.

this is starting out to be another great installment in the circus series. Thanks for letting us watch the progress!

keysgram
11-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Greg, I think this is going to be your most exciting piece to date...judging by your enthusiasm for the subject!!!...and I have never seen you so enthused about your subject...!! (I pretty much had to drag him by his ear to get him out of the archives:p )

It is just amazing to watch this unfold...and I am sure everyone here will be just as mesmerized as I...:D

We are both VERY excited about our new partnership with CWM...:smug: .....it should be a great time, and a mutually beneficial relationship...:)

Looking forward to this WIP too...:heart: :thumbsup:

Thanks Amy!!...we cross-posted :)

olliewood0702
11-16-2007, 12:08 PM
WOW, what an undertaking Greg!! This looks to be very interesting. I'd be completely LOST in the archives and lose all track of time too!! WONDERFUL that you are taking the time to share your process with all of us.

THANK YOU GREG!
Pulling up a chair...

Yorky
11-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Great news Greg and Linda. This is BIG, and will seal your place in the art world I am sure.

What a terrific project to embark on and special thanks fro undertaking it as a WIP.

Can't wait to see the colours burst on the scene.

Doug

giddy up
11-16-2007, 05:32 PM
thanks everyone.......I am going to paint the workers in color as well.....
SO...poster and workers in color......everything else is sepia.....
they come with the circus and would look better in color and are a focal
point to this piece...

will work on this tonight......keep plugging along....

thanks G :)

CharM
11-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Wow... Congratulations Greg and Linda!!! What a fantastic turn of events... I wish you every success!!! :clap:

Well... the composition, its history and your drawing are just fantastic... I love Graham's sepia too, and use it a lot... I like the concept you've outlined with your colour choices and look forward to your next steps!

giddy up
11-16-2007, 05:42 PM
thanks Char.....do you really think that is a good idea????......I am open to
ALL suggestions at this point.......I was also thinking that I could start on the
far side with the clowns face in sepia....and gradually work to color the closer
I got to the workers.........OR just the entire poster in color........

hmmmmmm.......

G

mgthorvaldsen
11-16-2007, 06:35 PM
:wave: hi! Sounds like you and Linda have entered into a whole new world! You detailed work up is amazing...Like how the sepia layers looks so antique, can't wait to see the next installment. This is such an interesting development, Thanks for sharing. Regards, Marianne

gmarie
11-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Remarkable! Absolutely Awesome! Bless You Guys! Again & Again!

Laura D
11-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Wow, this is incredible! I'm all eyes, can't wait to see what comes next. Do you have drafting experience?

painterbear
11-17-2007, 05:19 AM
Greg and Linda,
Congratulations on this wonderful artistic collaboration you've become part of with the Circus World Museum. That is so exciting.

You are off to a brilliant beginning. Your concept of the sepia combined with bright circus colors is great. The Ringling Bros. circus is appearing in Dayton shortly, so some people still are excited about seeing the performers and animals. :D

This WIP has been very interesting so far. I like seeing the closeup of your texture technique.

Sylvia

Ellen in Ont
11-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Congratulations Greg and Linda. What an opportunity! I would be lost in the archieves as well. :) Wonderful start and I can't wait for the next steps.

bluegenes
11-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Congratulations you two on this incredibly wonderful opportunity!

This is going to be another terrific painting. :clap:

Patty

gemineye
11-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Well how thrilling is THAT?!?!?!? What a fantastic adventure for you both!! I'm absoloutely thrilled for you, Greg and Linda!! :clap: :clap:
And Greg...I think your ideas for this painting are brilliant and will do just what you are imagining...bringing color and excitement to a drab and sad world. Just a really fantastic concept...and I know your painting will do it justice!! I'm so excited!!! :lol: :lol:

HarvestMoon
11-17-2007, 01:46 PM
oh my gosh- this is just fantastic.... can't wait to see it all done...

giddy up
11-17-2007, 08:27 PM
here is the next stage...I m still working on the sepia posters below...
aging them.....they still need wrinkles...:) ......will work on those next..
kind of tricky to paint a multiple image and make them look identical..:eek:
looks fine.....they are not a focus anyway....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2007/81010-stage5.JPG

I also started on the figures......indigo, neutral tint....some paynes on
the grey suited gent......some sienna in the pants legs...suggesting
the dirt settling there...also finished the wood planks that they are standing
on......sepia lifts well for highlights...still working the bottom of that wall
and their shadow areas.....

here is a close up..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2007/81010-stage5a.jpg

still deciding on a shirt color......the rag in his overalls..red, I think...
the paper in his pocket will stay white......still need to tone that down

thanks for stopping by

Greg:wave:

laudesan
11-17-2007, 08:34 PM
TRIPLE WOOT CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How absolutely exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap:

Watching your painting progress................

JJ

Watercolour lover
11-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Greg:

What a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! With your youth and vigour plus your obvious passion for this subject, you two should have the time of your lives in the next few years. You should keep a journal of this adventure as I'm sure there's a book in it somewhere.

Your initial images are stunning! I envy you two. If you need anyone to hold your pencils......

John

www.watercoloursforfun.com
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2007/87783-bar1.jpg

painterbear
11-17-2007, 10:27 PM
The billboard hangers look great and the sepia posters beneath the new one they are putting up also are fine, will look even better when you "age" them.

What size brushes are you using for the fine details????

Sylvia

bluegenes
11-17-2007, 10:34 PM
:clap:

Yorky
11-18-2007, 04:47 AM
Terrific work Greg - love the idea of colour in the circus workers pasting coloured circus posters against a sepia background. Amazing detail in the old posters.

Doug

Faafil
11-18-2007, 05:08 AM
Wow wow wow - congratulations! :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is fabulous... I sit here in awe....

Uschi
11-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Wow wow wow - congratulations! :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is fabulous... I sit here in awe....

So do I!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for the next installment!!!!
Uschi

CharM
11-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I was also thinking that I could start on the
far side with the clowns face in sepia....and gradually work to color the closer
I got to the workers.........OR just the entire poster in color........

MHO... While I really like the idea, I suspect that it just might be too much of a good thing... you're already making your point with the monochromatic background detail... My suggestion would be to colourize the entire poster...

I LOVE where this is going... What a truly exciting project... I'm so glad that you've invited us along for the ride...

painterbear
11-18-2007, 03:57 PM
I feel the same as Char about the poster—it should be in color all through because of the exciting promise it is carrying!

I'm giving your thread a rating and you a Mentor point for explaining your thinking and showing us your work step by step.

Sylvia

Laura D
11-18-2007, 04:21 PM
I second Patty's post... :clap:

gemineye
11-18-2007, 10:59 PM
This is coming to life beautifully. So cool to watch! When I was a kid I always wanted to run away with the circus...and now here are the two of you doing it! Great stuff!!

giddy up
11-19-2007, 12:19 AM
thank you all so very much.......and Sylvia, thanks for the point and rating..:heart: ........still plugging along.........

I added some wrinkles to the posters below.......the best way to do that is
by using an metal erasing shield.....very handy tool......has many shapes on it..circles of all sizes, curves and many sizes of lines....using a stiff wet brush...it takes off only where you wish....then once dry I added shadows under the lifted areas.....I then washed the entire white poster with a 10% gamboge wash.....the white areas I am keeping need to be warmer.....and doing it later may cause other colors to run into those areas.....then I started with the reds....Napthol, little quin red and touch of gamboge....
nice warm red...and bright!........
I am still researching the other colors for the poster.....need to be as accurate as possible...the date, place, etc....are either black or blue...
anyones guess really.........back to the archives.....and Char and Sylvia
I agree with you about leaving the poster in full color....and not bleed or
blend the sepia tone in.....thanks for your input :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2007/81010-DSCF0016.JPG

laudesan
11-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Greg this is looking soooooooooooo good..:clap; Love those wrinkles..:)

JJ

Yorky
11-19-2007, 04:59 AM
Wonderful work Greg :thumbsup:

Love your wrinkle technique.

Doug

giddy up
11-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Amy, Darla, Marianne, Gladys, Ellen, Linda -HARVESTMOON :), Faafil, Uschi
thank you all for stopping by......:):D....and for your kind words....
also Char, Sylvia, JJ, Doug, Patty, and Tracy..:D.....for stopping by so often!!

Laura- I do have some drafting experience from college....but the original is a post card sized photo......black and white....we scanned it and played a bit....then printed it out to trace it to the paper.....I squared up the lines with a ruler... after the fact.....blowing up a post card sized image to 22X30 is tricky... you can sort of see things.....but you need to improvise after the initial shapes are drawn......there are things that you just can't quite make out.... and many things that I omitted....

John.......you are too funny:lol:...........you are WAAAAYYYYYY to good to be
holding our pencils......:eek:......your latest post is STUNNING!!!! :thumbsup:

thanks again everyone

HarvestMoon
11-19-2007, 10:42 AM
This is just unbelievable.... how any human could draw and paint like you....this whole scene looks SO REAL- those figures and the old cars, etc. OH MY GOSH.....all that lettering....and you are not even done....wow...

can someone alert the Watercolor Magic folks???? This really should be published.....it will drop EVERYONE's jaws...

now when you are done enter it in a SERIOUS nationwide competition!!!!

keysgram
11-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Just want to add my heartfelt thanks to everyone for their well wishes and congrats on our new adventure!:D :heart:

and John....Holding his pencils and changing his water are MY JOB!!:smug: ...:lol:... and like some of you, I am in awe watching this develop...i already feel like I can walk right into the painting...

giddy up
11-19-2007, 02:10 PM
In researching I found that we made a mistake on the year.......
the show was there in 1931 over the same dates.....but I just found that it
DID open on April 11th on a Saturday in 1925........I believe 1925 is the correct date of this......since the april 11th is on this poster....I believe that would be the date of the first show.......

Greg

CharM
11-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Greg, sweetie pea... anyone who went to the circus in 1925 really isn't going to remember ALL the picky details about the posters... know what I mean??? :) What you needed (and what you've got) was the *essence* of the era...

Ok... settling back into my comfey chair, cup of coffee in hand...

olliewood0702
11-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Wow, looking great so far Greg, waiting to see where you go next....

pasta
11-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Oh my gosh...I am in awe...and watching...fantastic !! Congrats to both of you!

Tina

giddy up
11-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Char.....my dear......I realize that someone who was actually at that event....
could not even see this type at this point.....hehe.....HOWEVER.....it has
to be accurate for the Circus and the folks who will be seeing this work....
there are many historians that will be viewing this in time.....and they will know how accurate it is........they even know who was employed each year
and how much each person was paid.....so still searching..........and now I think that the delivery vehicle is a 1928-29 Model A Ford........will know soon.......SO that puts us back to 1931.....:)

Greg

HarvestMoon
11-19-2007, 05:28 PM
I just went back to read the intro to this... or skim it LOL...good for BOTH of you....wow- to have access to their archives!!!! take as many zillion pics as you can.... you both could be doing this FOREVER... the prints will be really cool

CharM
11-19-2007, 07:37 PM
......for the Circus and the folks who will be seeing this work.... there are many historians that will be viewing this in time.....and they will know how accurate it is........they even know who was employed each year and how much each person was paid.....so still searching...... and now I think that the delivery vehicle is a 1928-29 Model A Ford........will know soon.......SO that puts us back to 1931.....:)

Greg

Wow... my apologies for being trite... so much to learn... so little time... :)

HarvestMoon
11-19-2007, 08:18 PM
1925....wow- that was the year my dad was born... he is no longer with us....

I heard a funny circus story- about a former mayor of Baton Rouge LA.... the circus had come to town... and apparently a LOT of the folks had bought tickets to THAT instead of the LSU football game... so the mayor called the circus folks and told them that they could NOT have a circus there unless they had DIPPED all their animals for ticks and fleas.... as in....all the TIGERS, ELEPHANTS, etc. .... so the circus left- and the LSU football game was sold out- GO TIGERS .....LOL....

artmom
11-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Wonderful!

Lyn

laudesan
11-19-2007, 11:26 PM
I am impressed that you are researching this so well and painting it as it should be. Good for you, your painting will be an historical masterpiece to be revered for a long time!!!

I am excited watching your work in progress.

A ford hey we love fords in this family.. There is a for buff on this site actually.. Jeremy (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/member.php?u=106827) Maybe he can help with your research. He sent some awesome pics of antique Fords trucks to us a week or so ago..:)

Cheers JJ

Faafil
11-20-2007, 04:37 AM
....and now I think that the delivery vehicle is a 1928-29 Model A Ford........will know soon.......SO that puts us back to 1931.....:)
Greg

Greg, - have sent the link to this page to a friend who is expert in automotobilia...curious to know if he confirms the vintage of the vehicle... (I'm a former 'big 3' employee)

warm regards & 11 hugs...
ML

Roun2it
11-20-2007, 06:15 AM
Hey late in on this one but as they say the show must go on:D

Pushing into a ringside seat, hope those clowns don't throw that water over me, and we keep away from the elephant poop:lol:

loralee55
11-20-2007, 10:45 AM
This is wonderful. My dad would of remembered scenes like this. He use to talk a lot about those days and missed the simplicity of the era. I love it,
loralee

giddy up
11-20-2007, 11:11 AM
well......Darla, Tina, JJ..:), Doug, Lyn, thank you so much for following this piece :)....I really appreciate all of you...:)

Char......hehe......not trite......I adore your expertise and comments..:)

Kev....never too late!.....I still have a lot to finish.....:)

11 HUGS......wow....Mary Lou........I'm a lucky guy...;)....thanks

Loralee thanks for stopping by....yeah, way simpler times.....imagine,
no TV, phone, or radio.. and that is just in the living room!!......

Linda..(HM)......wow....you at way to kind.......and yes I am very much
human.......there are days however......;)......kind of scary in the morning..
hehe....:)......just need to be patient....and plan :)

thank you all so very much......

Linda and I found on the Ringling Museum Website in Florida....this poster..
actually one VERY much like it......in those days posters were massed produced with generic images....and the traveling show could purchase them and just add their name to them.....this poster was one of those such images.
IF you had something special like the "Flying Wallenda's".....or "JUMBO"...
or something specific to YOUR show....they were ordered and made just for you at an additional fee......and that online museum in Florida has over 2500
posters online to view.....starting in the 1880's I believe......and after searching about 3/4 of the way through we found it...:) a color version of this image......which we needed to make this accurate......98% of the images that we have access to at Circus World are in black and white.....so this will
be an ongoing process for us......the color search.....Wagons and train cars
and costumes they have there.....so it is just the printed materials that will
be a treasure hunt.........but kinda fun :)

also......Jimmy Lodos the poster in sepia below the circus.....DID indeed
have a wrestling match in Chicago in April of 1931........SO......we were
right on with that date.....April 11, 1931 Chicago IL. coliseum......

thanks again

G.....more updates very soon.......and I need to work on my toucan triad...

painterbear
11-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Greg,
I am finding the research as interesting as watching your painting emerge. You two are going to become quite the experts in all things CIRCUS by the time you finish with all the components of this commission. :thumbsup:

(To those who are following this thread, don't forget about giving it a rating, I'm not seeing any stars yet. ;) )

Sylvia

giddy up
11-20-2007, 11:26 AM
thanks for that Sylvia......I had a feeling that the WC members may be dropping
like flies with all of these long winded explainations......hehe.....

Greg

keysgram
11-20-2007, 11:50 AM
It really is interesting to research, and it is a hoot to find out some of the 'goings-on' behind the scenes!!!.:lol:
i just read the book 'Water for Elephants' by Sara Gruen and it is WONDERFUL!! While fictional characters were used, her characters were taken from years of research into these people and the animals...It gives a glimpse into the life and times of the circus during the depression years, much of it very dark and seedy ..I couldn't put it down...so, if you like to read...this is a must! Great drama, mystery, ....and love...:heart:..hehe..:D

giddy up
11-21-2007, 01:46 PM
another update:........I added wrinkles to the other part of the poster
over the lettering.....I did use black mixed with copper kettle from American
journey to warm it up a bit......since the black I am reproducing is BLACK
ink, I decided to actually use black, otherwise I never do....but I did warm
it because it is in the sun and would be much warmer because of the light..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2007/81010-stage6a-1.JPG

the wrinkles are kinda fun......
I first use a darker shade of the color as a shadow....then lift above that..
with the erasing shield and a stiff ox hair brush......I also need to make the shadow area darker, where the shadow from the broom handle crosses the wirnkle shadow..it would be.....and will help create that illusion....
where shadows cross each other it will always be darker.....and really make it read correctly....

here is a close up..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2007/81010-stage6b.jpg

and the overall piece at this point:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2007/81010-stage7.JPG

thanks everyone......and thank you all so very much for the rating..:heart:

Greg :wave:

painterbear
11-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Well deserved, Greg.

Thanks for explaining your techniques and thought processes re the wrinkles and shadows.

Sylvia

Laura D
11-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I am having such a good time watching this progress! Your attention to detail and historical accuracy is laudable. Keep on posting, it's eye candy for us.

gemineye
11-21-2007, 11:18 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
That's all I have to say!!

laudesan
11-22-2007, 12:24 AM
MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love you eye for realism.

Ellen in Ont
11-22-2007, 09:15 AM
I love how this is developing!

Uschi
11-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Oh goodie - another installment to the story!!!I am anxiously awaiting each and every one of them. Soooooo FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!
Uschi

darsart
11-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Greg and Linda,

I just found this link now, and have loved looking at all of your images as this painting unfolds. It is absolutely stunning. And the research for authenticity is to be applauded. So much work. I'm getting my popcorn and sitting back to enjoy the rest of the show. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can hardly wait to see the clown's face complete.:lol: :lol: :lol:

seedy
11-22-2007, 04:02 PM
AS others have noted, doing the research must be almost as fun as doing it......looking great......but then your assistant must be really excited also.

CharM
11-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Hey Greg (and Linda)... there's so many people here in the peanut gallery, it's getting awfully crowded... being that it IS Thanksgiving down your way, I baked up a batch of pumpkin praline tarts and brewed a fresh pot of coffee... :)

Have you tried using a proxa brush instead of your ox hair? The proxa does so LITTLE damage to the paper, that I prefer it over anything else...

Your decision to use tube black is really quite appropriate for this composition... The General Outdoor Adv Co is doing a GREAT job! :clap:

rgb
11-22-2007, 11:35 PM
I get dibs on the peanut concession! Cotton candy too!

giddy up
11-23-2007, 12:13 AM
thanks for stopping by everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!.....
Pumpkin praline tarts!.....yum.........what exactly is a proxa brush???
like a sponge of some kind???........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2007/81010-stage8.JPG

well been working on this and it is getting nearer the finish.....still working on the wrinkles and trying to get them correct, too much white in the blue at this point, and need to keep that at a minimum....to make the highlight
area look a little more sharp...to make the poster look more pasted to that stone wall......used ult blue and sky blue from american journey for the bkgd.....same red as in the other letters.......

and a close up:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2007/81010-stage8b.JPG

another post tomorrow hopefully.....

thanks everyone:heart:

Faafil
11-23-2007, 01:24 AM
Wow ! Where's the jaw dropping icon???

I'm really enjoying watching this piece come to life... truly brilliant work!

Laura D
11-23-2007, 04:07 AM
I just wanted to thank you again for sharing the steps with us, quite a treat.

A proxa brush is a dental tool, little teeny soft brush for spaces between your teeth. Available at drug stores and some grocery stores. They have a bottle brush shaped one and a cone shaped one. The package comes with a capped handle and you can get brush replacements to insert into the handle. A cheeeeeap effective tool.

laudesan
11-23-2007, 04:47 AM
:) Have a read of THIS THREAD (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169809) Brian Barnes tells us what a proxa brush is and how to use it.

The Learning Demo''s are full of really helpful threads like this..:)

JJ

giddy up
11-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the link on the proxa brush.....interesting.......may have to try
and find one.....well got more done last night.......
I still need to work on the wrinkles over the face some.....and warm the
face and all of the red slightly more.....Linda felt that it still has a cold
appearance to it...and looking at it more, I agree.....it needs to feel a little
warmer and inviting......tell me what you think?
Here is the overall piece thus far:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2007/81010-stage9.JPG

here are some detail areas.....the wrinkles over the blue and red lettering
are now complete.......I may just warm the red slightly with another thin
layer of gamboge......can't warm the blue at this point or the gamboge will
turn the blue too green...... still need to lift some highlight wrinkles in the black area between the clown and the blue area.....and the face needs some more definition on the wrinkles

I also need to deal with the white border that surrounds the entire poster...
it is all white now and needs to have some shadow areas to set it into that
wall...so it looks pasted on.....LITERALLY...:lol:.....pasted is never a good thing most generally......but in this case......:thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2007/81010-stage9a.JPG

and the letters

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2007/81010-stage9b-1.JPG

thanks everyone for replying and following along with this......I appreciate
all of your feedback and replies.......:heart::D

I should have the piece finished tonight or tomorrow.....
then........time to think about the next one in the series........:rolleyes:

giddy up
11-23-2007, 11:18 AM
all monitors are so very different.....the pics I just posted, actually look
closer to the colors IRL.........and to me it does look like it could be warmer....

Greg :)

Yorky
11-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Coming on well Greg.

Presumably the poster is wrinkled because it is still wet, or is it because of the very uneven surface it is being pasted on?

Doug

giddy up
11-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Doug:
well.......both actually.......the paste they used was a flour water mixture..
it was made from steam from a boiler on the train or one that was brought on a wagon , and they only used steam, hot water was not hot enough...and getting the right ratio of steam to flour must have been an issue as well.......it is so hot that it makes the flour
turn very sticky.....the brush it on the surface and then brush the poster over
that sticky flour mixture....if they had time, they would then wet the poster from the front....and somehow that secured it even more......and the suface
is very uneven...with many poster remnants under it, and uneven stones
and bricks-mortar...so getting it flat is next to impossible......they had this
broke into panels and put them up one at a time and got them as square as
possible....and smoothed them out with the brooms......

thanks for stopping by

painterbear
11-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the link on the proxa brush.....interesting.......may have to try and find one.

Look in the toothpaste section of the grocery store where the dental floss is hanging. The proxa brushes should be right there. They usually come three in a package for a couple of dollars.

Your painting is looking fantastic. Amazing work on the figures and the poster. Never knew wrinkles could look so good.

Sylvia

Faafil
11-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi Greg! I have to agree, the blue has a 'cool' feel, and should be warmer. Is it just too pale - maybe more saturation?? I wish I had a clue, but I know you'll pull it off!!

I'm still gobsmacked over this painting!! :clap:

giddy up
11-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I will make it warmer tonight........a wash of old sienna.....about a 10% mix
over the entire blue area......NOT touching any black....will work....
that will warm the blue and red.......without turning the blue to green...
I wish I could make the blue darker......but I am trying for historical
accuracy and that blue was used on other posters that I found from this
year, and this same circus .....
thanks everyone for sropping by :)

SEE...Sylvia......wrinkles are NOT such a bad thing after all.......;) hehe :)

Greg

Laura D
11-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Ah but Greg, the paint on clown faces is very white. I can see toning it down to make it look more old-fashined. Do you think Sepia would be more in keeping with the dates of the period?

giddy up
11-23-2007, 03:44 PM
I am not touching the face.....maybe just a slight gamboge in a few areas....
the sienna glaze will only be on the blue bkgd with the red lettering...
the sepia at this point would muddy the color......and there is sooooo much
of it already in this piece...that it would confuse you......that is another reason
I used no sepia or neutral tint for the black lettering......so it did not look
like the poster was full of black holes that exposed the bricks underneath...
which, is how it would have looked with that same hue and value of darks
from those colors that I created the rest of the piece with.....

I will keep his face white......maybe slightly warm cheeks and under chin...
perhaps.....we'll see.........thanks

HarvestMoon
11-23-2007, 06:16 PM
the wrinkles are fantastic....just amazing....

laudesan
11-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Seeing as this is a painting of these men putting up a brand new poster it doesn't need to be made to look old does it??

I absolutely love this painting.. Everything..

I love the wrinkles it read like it is pasted to an old brick wall to me..

My husband just came and had a look and he is just blown away..:)

JJ

rue d'oak
11-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Greg,
I am so impressed. What a journey you are on, research and all. The information you have shared is as facinating as seeing this piece unfold. The use of the sepia is brilliant. Love all the wrinkles...:lol: wouldn't have even occurred to me. Sorry to have gotten to my ringside seat so late in the game - I've been busy mucking stalls. :lol: OK OK, just a slave to the ordinary needs of life.

Definately a merit point on this one!
Jen

KensBrush
11-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Just found this and read throught the wholethread - absolutely amazing!!!

Laura D
11-24-2007, 01:33 AM
I am not touching the face.....maybe just a slight gamboge in a few areas....

Sorry, I mis-read the following to read a B Sienna wash over the face...

I will make it warmer tonight........a wash of old sienna

:o

Uschi
11-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Greg, there is a very good reason we are all hanging on every stroke you paint. It is BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been meaning to tell you that from the very beginning I have been blown away by the buildings and the car on the right, they are so perfect.

As to your question, yes, it does look a bit cool.
Uschi

giddy up
11-25-2007, 11:12 AM
thanks so very much everyone.....rating, points and all of your advice and
comments......USCHI!..:eek: .....don't think brilliant exactly......lucky is more
fitting...:) ......thanks......

Well......it is finished.....warmed the blue with some old sienna, and warmed
the reds with some cad red light and cad yellow Linda's idea..:heart: ....
overall I am happy with it.....we will see how the museum likes it.....
after christmas it is off to the framer.......I will cross post this in the gallery with some more close ups....

thanks again everyone :heart:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2007/81010-DSCF0021.JPG

painterbear
11-25-2007, 11:25 AM
You can rest easy, Greg, I can't imagine anyone not agreeing with Uschi's assessment. :D

Sylvia

Yorky
11-25-2007, 12:08 PM
FABULOUS job Greg, and thanks for the commentary. It really did help to know what your thoughts and aims were for this painting.

I am sure it will be very well received and look forward to seeing the next one.

Doug

Uschi
11-25-2007, 12:17 PM
OHHH NOOOOO, it's DONE:crying: :crying: :crying:

This was like reading an exciting book, you want to know the end but at the same time you don't want it to finish because you are enjoying it so much:D Thanks so much for taking us along the journey!!!!!!

HURRY and start another one:lol: :lol: :lol:

I stand by my word - BRILLIANT!!! Can't imagine someone not being impressed by it.
Uschi

rgb
11-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Impressive and beautiful. I've really enjoyed this thread. Thanks, Greg.

Lin1945
11-25-2007, 01:09 PM
All I can say is.. WOW!!! This is fantastic.. I loved watching it develop!! Just found this thread and wish I'd found it sooner :( can't wait til you start the next one.. soon! I hope .. lol.. Your concept of the sepia background and the colored poster and men is awesome! You so deserve the job you've got with the circus people!! your work is wonderful.. :) It's a real pleasure to view!

giddy up
11-25-2007, 02:29 PM
thanks everyone....NEXT ONE!!!!!!!.......soon, and maybe another WIP
we'll see......I have an idea in mind, need to work it out first....another full
sheet for sure.....and in sepia....

thanks again

Laura D
11-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Wonderful finish! They will be very impressed, I am sure.

laudesan
11-26-2007, 01:14 AM
racing off to the gallery.............................

giddy up
11-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Laura and JJ.....thanks for all of your input and following this along..:)

Greg

Magill
11-26-2007, 05:00 PM
What a great project. I love the history tale along with it. I can appreciate the meaning a little better. I love the sepia background and color contrast as does everyone it seems. Your work is incredible!

CharM
11-26-2007, 06:27 PM
You can rest easy, Greg, I can't imagine anyone not agreeing with Uschi's assessment. :D

Sylvia

(((Greg))) You CANNOT argue with these women!!! I know both of them personally and let me just tell you... when they're right... THEY'RE RIGHT!!! :lol:

giddy up
11-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks Nancy :) you are too kind
CHAR!!....hehe....thanks so much for all of your advice and comments :)

Greg

Roun2it
11-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Well brilliant is the in word so brilliant it is:clap:

One small nit from me, ................... you're gonna have to fire the two bill posters, they left too many creases in the billboard:lol:

giddy up
11-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks Kev.......and yeah......quite a few wrinkles.....hehe

Greg

darsart
11-27-2007, 07:21 PM
In a word - Stunning!!!!!! Looking forward now to the next one :lol: :lol:

giddy up
11-28-2007, 10:47 AM
.....thanks Darlene........the next one, may send me to an asylum.......it is
a little complex........we'll see....for better or worse I am giving it a shot....
it truly captures the excitement of the circus for what looks like almost all of
Houston ,Texas in 1933!!! hehe :)

thanks