PDA

View Full Version : Swamp sketches

seejay
11-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Me again.

Recent swamp sketches. The usual suspects, along with a contour sketch of my friend Tony - he at least recognised his shoes!:D Another fine morning enjoying the birds and fish splashing about, and of course the shade and movement of the trees.

Cheers

MonicaB
11-15-2007, 10:03 AM
I adore your swamp sketches, and these are just as wonderful! Those trees are awesome.

mudslinger
11-15-2007, 01:43 PM
i like your swamp sketches, too...good stuff! :thumbsup:

Continental
11-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Those are wonderful sketches.

seejay
11-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks for dropping in everyone. :thumbsup: Doing these sketches is a lot of fun, and even after going to this area for years I still find subjects that grab my eye. My friend has only recently joined me for some sketching, it must be infectious.;)

Cheers

valchina612
11-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Great work again Chris. Would love to see your sketchbook in person. :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

seejay
11-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Great work again Chris. Would love to see your sketchbook in person. :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:
Thanks Val. I like to go back through my old sketchbooks, so you might enjoy looking at them too. Let me know if you ever come to QLD.!!:D

Cheers

dolors
11-16-2007, 02:18 AM
They are all very good sketches Chris. Your friend's portrait, is what you call a contour drawing? I love the colour drawings also. Very nice.

seejay
11-16-2007, 03:41 AM
They are all very good sketches Chris. Your friend's portrait, is what you call a contour drawing? I love the colour drawings also. Very nice.

Thanks Dolors. Contour drawing is what I call it. The term used by Betty Edwards in 'Drawing on the right side of the brain' is modified contour drawing (I think, without checking) where you can sneak an occasional look at your drawing to check on things. I need to practice more 'pure contour' drawing, where you only look at the subject, not the paper except at the start - now that can get really strange.:p

Cheers

sassybird
11-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Oh goodie, more swamp doodles:D I love the contour drawing of your friend even if he only recognized his shoes.......lol

seejay
11-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks Charissa.

:thumbsup:

seejay
11-28-2007, 12:51 AM
Hi all

Some more swamp sketches today (okay, one was from another day). I haven't been happy with the tree sketches lately, so I did some birds instead. My bird watcher friend could tell what species they were without too much prompting!:p

These are in my new swamp sketch book, making it's debut here I think, which has brown paper pages (probably really bad quality, but I hope it looks okay for a few years at least!). I've been trying to use the paper colour as the midtone, and add black and white. The page size is around 11 x 16 centimetres, but these images have been cropped so are smaller than that. Some of these little birds are literally thumbnail size!;) Some are a little bit larger. It is difficult getting close to these animals, so quick and small is the result. It's also an extra challenge for me when the subjects won't stop moving. I need to do more, I haven't done these much for a while.

Cheers

dolors
11-28-2007, 02:20 AM
Really good Chris! I love to see how the legs move under the water, they are full of life. I suppose you use a dip pen with black and also white ink, the tone of the paper is perfect for a third colour.

seejay
11-28-2007, 02:54 AM
Really good Chris! I love to see how the legs move under the water, they are full of life. I suppose you use a dip pen with black and also white ink, the tone of the paper is perfect for a third colour.

Thanks Dolors.

A dip pen isn't too good when I walk around - I do want to start using it again tho'. I am currently using black and white Hybrid Gel pens (Pentel??) and another pen (Marvy ToughBall?) I've refilled with sepia ink. Other times I'll use black and white prismacolor pencils, but I prefer the pens. I also used a (worn out) grey Faber-Castell Pitt artist pen for one of the sketches.

Cheers