PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a plein air related topic......

Danny Griego
11-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm traveling to Colorado via airline for Thanksgiving week. I plan to get out a couple of times for some plein air painting. Rather than spend a lot of time researching this on the net, I thought I would go to the source for those air traveling plein air painters who might know if I'm on the right path as far as packing my gear.

Here's how I plan to pack my gear: In my check in bag I plan to pack my paints, a new unopened small container of Gamsol and my palette knives. The paint and Gamsol will have MSDS info rubber banded around them. All items will be in a single heavy-duty zip lock bag. I will also add this note (from Scott Burdick's website):

Oil paints are made from vegetable oil. The US Department of Transportation defines "flammable liquids" as those with a flash point 140 degrees F or below. Artist grade oil colors are based on vegetable oil with a flash point at or above 450 degrees F. THEY ARE NOT HAZARDOUS. If you need to confirm this, please contact TSA at 866-289-9673 or their Hazardous Materials Research Center at 800-467-4922. Packed with the paints is the MSDS data sheet from the paint manufacturer with the exact flash point info.

For my carry on, my Open M Box fits into a Pelican (heavy duty) suit case. I don't plan to put any paints or solvents in this case, only the pochade box itself and the canvas carrier along with my brushes and my small sized empty steel turp container rubber gloves and that's it. I don't have to worry about a tripod as I have one waiting for me.

That's it. Sounds simple to me but who knows..... Before someone says "buy the Gamsol on site", my home town is pretty small and their only art store doesn't carry it. They didn't know what I was talking about when I called and probably thought Gamsol was a monster in a Godzilla movie.

Thanks for your time!

coyote
11-14-2007, 11:47 PM
The solvent will be the deal breaker, I'm afraid. I've flown with paint (in checked luggage with MSDS sheets), and even that is up to the luck of the draw as far as who is working security that day. You might just have to pick up some Turpenoid, OMS or...dare I say it...Turpentine :eek: when you get there.

JD Hannah
11-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Well when ya arrive in Denver hit Jerrys art a rama for Gamsol. Its on Broadway in Englewood,CO :)

Peace,

JD

Marc Hanson
11-15-2007, 07:44 AM
There's so much here on this topic that it's repetitive to post it again.

I just want to say, DO NOT fly with the solvent!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paint without it if you have to.

Not only is it ILLEGAL, but if you fly with it, you put the lives of 100+ souls on board that aircraft at risk. A fire in an aircraft in mid air is an aviation nightmare.

Don't be silly and take that chance just to go paint.

Bobbo
11-15-2007, 09:41 AM
apart from the solvent i packed the same as you,danny,with no problems,got my medium at the destination...

Marc Hanson
11-15-2007, 10:01 AM
"Do not travel with solvents and mediums. Gamsol has a flash point of 146 degrees F so it can fly with you if you have a copy of the MSDS. "

That's from Gamblin, so okay, legally it's 6 degrees above the allowable flash point limit of 140 degrees F or above.

I'm a licensed private pilot and if you climbed aboard my airplane with it, I'd say 'please leave it on the ground'. Six degrees isn't enough of a cushion for my safety at 24,000 feet or 4000 feet.

I'm not trying to be a hard *** here. But if we are able to keep flying with paint..."artist pigments in a vegetable oil base"...I wish we wouldn't test their patience with items that could be left behind and purchased at destination for very little. Not like leaving paints, they're expensive, and unless they decide due to other incidents to just completely ban anything that closely resembles paint, we should try to be sure that we don't add to the problem.

This is just my rant, ignore it if you want. And I apologize if I'm sounding too 'official', but flying and painting are integral to a lot of us and I'd just a soon continue to be able to do it.

Danny Griego
11-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi Folks

Thanks for your input. I figured this was going to be one of those topics with many layers. Marc, I'll not be flying with gamsol and will take JD's suggestion of purchasing the Gamsol at an art store in Denver since I'll be there a half a day when I fly in. It does concern me Gamsol is only six degress above the allowance so I feel better about this decision. I've heard and read about people who either can get on with it or it being confiscated. I don't want to deal with the drama nor risk any possibility of danger as Marc might say. Another way I thought would work is to ship contents to my destination beforehand if necessary, but I thought of this too late. Regardless, I'm just happy to get my paints out there and have some fun!

Thanks again everyone, I knew I could count on the WC community!

Danny

Marc Hanson
11-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi Folks

Thanks for your input. I figured this was going to be one of those topics with many layers. Marc, I'll not be flying with gamsol and will take JD's suggestion of purchasing the Gamsol at an art store in Denver since I'll be there a half a day when I fly in. It does concern me Gamsol is only six degress above the allowance so I feel better about this decision. I've heard and read about people who either can get on with it or it being confiscated. I don't want to deal with the drama nor risk any possibility of danger as Marc might say. Another way I thought would work is to ship contents to my destination beforehand if necessary, but I thought of this too late. Regardless, I'm just happy to get my paints out there and have some fun!

Thanks again everyone, I knew I could count on the WC community!

Danny
Danny....I meant to mention that my comments aren't directed at you, but the subject. :)

It's like what has happened in a lot of schools. Around here there are schools that still teach archery, and gun ( air rifle ) target shooting.

Then there are schools that have had so many bad experiences with weapons, that they've banned anything what so ever that resembles a weapon. We've all seen that happen.

But the schools that still teach shooting sports and allow the kids to have supervised access to the sports are providing a great service to the kids experience 'catalog' of the need for safety, discipline and persistence...among other physical benefits.

Those school programs probably won't make it much longer either because of what else is happening in the country and world.

For us painters, the fewer times the TSA agent has to hold things up for rather quesionable or unsafe items that we bring aboard, I just think the longer we'll be able to continue to legally bring on our supplies that are safe to fly with.

While 'Gamsol' might be refined enough to just beat the allowance, I'm guessing that Home Depot OMS, and other less refiined products probably aren't (don't know that for sure tho'). Many painters use those less expensive versions of solvent and might just assume that if Gamsol (a mineral spirits based product) is okay, why not Ace Hardware Mineral Spirits?

I still run into so many painters who call the container that their OMS goes into a 'Turp container' or they call the thinner 'Turps' when they've never, ever even used a drop of Turpentine in their painting career. That's a good thing, Turpentine is more harmful than OMS. But there are so many 'generic' labels we use in this field. When it comes to safety and health it pays to know and be specific.

I can see people just assuming any old thinner is called 'Gamsol' and getting in trouble with the TSA and the can of Home Depot Paint Thinner. "Well I thought Gamsol was legal!?"... "This is not Gamsol!!!"..."What?!"

Boy, I had way too much sleep last night....:) Usually I'm too groggy to think this much.

Anyway, thanks for not taking it personally because it isn't.

blondheim12
11-15-2007, 11:33 AM
I ususally ship my supplies ahead to my destination if posible, but like Marc, I never try to fly with mediums or solvents.
Love,
Linda

Danny Griego
11-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Understood Marc, I didn't take it that way anyway but thanks for mentioning it and most of all thanks for your input. I'm definitely better informed and that can't hurt at all.

JD Hannah
11-15-2007, 12:08 PM
After traveling across the western US region installing US Postal equipment this year, I can attest anything they think is flammable is a no go. Its amazing to see how the Postal Service works even talked to a robot in Kansas City hehe. Anyhow this has been an interesting thread. Marc is definitely correct in sharing his thoughts on flammable and/or potential flammable parcels. Whether its postal/ parcel, or airline its up to whoever is checking your bags and luggage to make the call. Anyhow solvents look a little like gas cans too! Anyhow Good Luck in painting, your work is inspiring.

back to the easel I go!

JD

EdK
11-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I agree with Marc. Solvents are picked up easily at any hardware store. It is so much simpler and far less of a worry.

I highly recommend shipping your paints well ahead of time. It may cost a little more, but in my opinion you know they will arrive. You may also consider buying paint locally if you have an art supply store available and assumming you can work with a limited colors.

The issue I have with the airlines/Security is that they are inconsistent and you will not know which way they will lean until that moment in time when you are standing in line. Then you will have a choice to discard them on the spot, or catch a later plane while you try to make arrangements to ship the paints anyway. Also, just because you managed to transport your paints on the way out without incident does not guarantee your return trip will be without incident as well.

Good luck.

NHyde
11-15-2007, 02:28 PM
If you don't want to pay for a new can, you're invited to swing by our studio and fill up on Gamsol before heading out to the mountains. I'm serious, by the way. :)

Have a great painting trip!

WTPDOSA
11-15-2007, 04:55 PM
I would also be leery of tube paints because last week when I flew to Philly out of Chicago, they took my tooth paste and told me that any kind of liquid or paste in a tube in a carry-on will be confiscated. It maybe worthwhile to check 'em in just in case along with those palette knives. And yup, toothpaste is not flammable, at least the one I use isn't.
Good-luck!!!

Danny Griego
11-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks for your comments and advice everyone. I went right to the source (WC of course) and was not disappointed. Nicole your offer is appreciated and if my stay was longer I would probably take you up on it. Thanks though!

For those who celebrate, have a good turkey day!

NHyde
11-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Danny, we are expecting chilly temps and snow around Thanksgiving in Denver, so bring some warm painting clothes. :)

Leschi Painter
03-23-2008, 01:35 AM
four years later, but this thread is helpful. Thanks.