PDA

View Full Version : My fourth pastel...

Peiwend
11-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Hi, I'm an oil painter and just started doing some pastels. Here is my fourth one:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2007/115097-wetcanvas.jpg

The dimensions are 10" x 20" and it was done on Alpharag matboard primed with Colourfix Soft Umber. It was done mainly with Rembrandt pastels along with some Unisons. I used some photos I had taken in August, near where I live on Prince Edward Island, as reference.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for what I learned about pastels from reading Wet Canvas and would welcome any comments and suggestions.

Soon, I will be placing another order from Dick Blick and would like to ask for your suggestions for a few new colours. In medium soft pastels I need more greens, especially a good really dark green as the only one I have is an antique Girault (Yeah, I'm that guy.). I also need a good opaque yellow-orange similar to cadmium yellow deep. Since I live far from any well stocked art supply store, it is difficult to have to choose from the online colour charts.

_______________________Wendell

Deborah Secor
11-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Wendell, this has a wonderful sense of air to it. It breathes atmosphere! Beautifully done--and a really beautiful place, too.

Deborah

Netty
11-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Gorgeous Wendell!!! it actually looks like an oil painting....lol....
Your distance is lovely, creates great atmoshpere .

Beautiful cottage set in the trees, and once again the distance is great as I do feel I can reach out and almost pick some of the flowers in the forground.

Very pretty...

Annie:)

mrking
11-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Ummm, wow.

Your skills as an oil painter really shine through.

Unison and Terry Ludwig have beautiful sets of darks.

water girl
11-13-2007, 12:42 AM
This is just wonderful. I thought at first that it was an oil painting. I'm hoping that you'll continue to work in pastel and keep posting.
Yes, those Terry Ludwig darks (Intense Darks and Intense Darks II) are just the ticket for deep, dark, rich color.

CJMonty
11-13-2007, 04:01 AM
Terry Ludwig has the Darkest Green I have ever seen.

Love your painting, well done.

Carolynn :) :thumbsup:

Paula Ford
11-13-2007, 05:31 AM
Really beautifully done!

Paula

Colorix
11-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Great depth, by detail lessening and atmospheric perspective.

Charlie

Mary Brigid
11-13-2007, 06:40 AM
very impressive for your 4th pastel. Love your greens
Mary Brigid

cal studio
11-13-2007, 07:21 AM
I would say very impressive for your thousandths pastel!!!!!! WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree that Ludwig has a very dark green. Sennelier also has a very dark green but that may be too soft for you. I personally can not use them.
Cathleen

Peiwend
11-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Thank you all for your kind, generous comments and encouragement. They are much appreciated.

I'm now working on my fifth pastel and will post it soon. I got some Colourfix paper and find it much better than the primed surface as I tend to jab at the paper in the foreground areas. I'm also trying gouache underpainting on the darker areas. Also, I ordered some Wallis paper and Colourfix Supertooth. For Cathleen, I love Sennelier pastels for the final highlights but prefer a slightly harder pastel for the darks and am ordering some Unison darks. From all that I've read, I'm looking forward to getting some Ludwigs. I also like the Nupastel #298 but it is more for the morning shade.

________________________Wendell

Dougwas
11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Great painting. Love the depth to it. I agree about the Ludwig darks.

Doug

Paula Ford
11-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Nupastel #298....Albert Handell's favorite!

Peiwend
11-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Paula, I just visited your lovely new website: great work! I have a copy of Albert Handell's book and really admire his work. Just ordered a set of Terry Ludwig neutral greens as they seemed to be the best colours for the early autumn late day landscapes that I love to paint. After I get the techniques of soft and oil pastels down, I'm hoping that my work will loosen up!

____________________Wendell

bnoonan
11-13-2007, 01:25 PM
This is marvelous. Love the setting - the peace of the hills and how they recede. There is no doubt this is August and though I haven't been to PEI, I've longed for just this view for many years. My brother was a regular there every summer.

Happy shopping - Giraults are my favs. these days and given the crisp lines you may find them to be just the ticket.

Barb

PeggyB
11-13-2007, 01:41 PM
WOW! Fourth or Four Hundredth this is well painted. Your oil painting skills are shining through very nicely. I'm impressed that you achieved this quality of atmosphere with mostly Rembrandt greens, earth tones, and yellows. Unison has a good selection of those colors, but you'll be very happy with Terry Ludwig greens. I think they are a bit softer than the Unisons, and Terry's darks are the darkest of any, but again a bit soft.

I'm looking forward to seeing your fifth pastel.

Peggy

Tressa
11-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Nupastel #298....Albert Handell's favorite!

My thought exactly, LOL!!!
Tres

THis is a beautiful piece, and such distance.

Donna T
11-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Amazing...Can't wait to see the next one!

Donna

Continental
11-13-2007, 04:22 PM
That is gorgeous! I've read that pastel can rival Oils for sheer brilliance of color. Wonderful!:clap: :clap: :clap:

David Patterson
11-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Great job Wendell!!

Tracer
11-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Really beautiful painting Wendel!

Tracy

Jo Castillo
11-13-2007, 11:33 PM
This is gorgeous. I, too, thought it was an oil. Great depth.