PDA

View Full Version : Was it ink?

kisa
11-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Hi everybody!I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong category, but I was wandering about some of Matisse's and Picasso's line drawings. I don't know if you have seen them, but they are the ones that just have women's faces drawn in simple lines, normally done on white background. Now, my question is - do you think they used ink for such drawings? Can you use ink over gesso? How do you get long fluid lines with ink pen, considering that those drawings were quite large?
When I do my drawings in ink, I just do short strokes and I do mostly miniatures. How do I deal with larger surface and longer lines? Thanks in advance! :cat:

MonicaB
11-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi Kisa and welcome! I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone here or in the Classical Art forum will know.

kisa
11-13-2007, 04:19 AM
Thank you, Monica. Some drawings clearly have graphite or pastel marks, but some of them have cleaner, sharper, more compact lines that remind me of ink. I will ask on the Classical Arts forum now. Thanks again

sassybird
11-13-2007, 02:21 PM
You can also check the art history forum for the information you are looking for.