PDA

View Full Version : Feather Dancer...WIP

Mike_Beeman
11-11-2007, 03:55 PM
I've started with a Bistre Carb Othello pastel pencil and lightly blocked in the general layout but keeping the sketch fairly loose and light ...keeping the opportunity for the possibility of change a little later.
Using some NuPastels and Terry Ludwig's and a few mystery pieces I block in parts of the face and a few areas around it. The face will be the focal point so if it appears it isn't going to work at this stage I can easily change it.
Painting is on a piece of warm gray Canson paper.
C&C welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2007/49603-wipfd1.jpg

*Marina*
11-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Looks intriguing. Mike.

chewie
11-11-2007, 04:33 PM
oh goodie, a beeman WIP, i get first row!!

Paula Ford
11-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Gosh, that face looks like it's coming right out of the paper.

I'm with you chewie. Who's making the popcorn?

Paula

Tracer
11-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Looks good so far! Can't wait to see what's next.

Tracy

CindyW
11-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Oo, love the sketchy lines as is! But, I know the end result will be tremendous!
Cindy

Mike_Beeman
11-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Start blocking in some warm background colors with soft pastels so I can soften the edges a little easier down the road....the approach is a little different than I normally do...but this will be a little more direct...I think:)
This is a commission for a high school whose colors are reds and blacks...so I'll try to stick with those as much as possible.
C&C and questions welcomed.
Going to take a walk and think about the next few steps!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2007/49603-wipfd2.jpg

AliciaS
11-11-2007, 06:13 PM
love ,love , love it....its reminding me of something on of my favorite artists would paint...Ramon Kelly....have you seen his work? this is going to be beautiful!!

Mike_Beeman
11-11-2007, 07:24 PM
AliciaS Actually I do know Ramon...he has family here in Cheyenne and I have taken a couple of workshops from him over the years....great teacher!
First workshop I went to I took my watercolors....I never thought of working in pastel....was I ever the odd duck!!

I continue to block in the background and started filling part of the head dress and the right side of the head...along with the suggestion of a few feathers on top of the head.
I'm also looking at the head will need to make changes with the dark band across the eyes and will need to strengthen the color in the background...I'll save that for near the end.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2007/49603-wipfd3.jpg

David Patterson
11-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Taking a seat on this one Mike...beautiful start!!

David

Donna T
11-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Wow! Thanks so much for showing how you pull this all together. The face alone would be so difficult for me and getting it to harmonize with the background would take a miracle. So glad to see how it's done!

Donna

Mike_Beeman
11-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Donna T Sorry I didn't really show the progress on the face...it was right after I did it I thought I would use this for a WIP...but hopefully you can see how it all ties together.

this is a big jump from the last photo but what I've done is simply get some pastel on the paper by blocking in the local color of the outfit, feathers, etc.
I know a lot of folks would want to draw this out in detail but I rather get the major shapes down along with some color. From here I'll start looking at the smaller shapes, going back and looking for some of the lost darks. I also try to keep my edges fairly soft.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2007/49603-wipfd4.jpg

Netty
11-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Wonderful vibrant work!! So full of life and movement. It is looking great so far.. How do you like the Carb Othello pastel pencils? I am thinking of buying a set as they seem to have wonderful colours.

Annie:)

Mike_Beeman
11-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Netty,
I've been using the Carb Othellos for a while especially for the quick poses .. especialy the black, bistre, white and carp. red...love them.

Wonderful vibrant work!! So full of life and movement. It is looking great so far.. How do you like the Carb Othello pastel pencils? I am thinking of buying a set as they seem to have wonderful colours.

Annie:)

PeggyB
11-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Mike this is just too interesting not to drop in and watch the process.

Thanks for thinking of the wip before you finished any more than the face.

Peggy

Mike_Beeman
11-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Continued to block in the smaller shapes and bringing in some lighter values all around...I think just a little more and I'll have it where I want it....I'll post this and finish it up!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2007/49603-wipfd5.jpg

Tracy Lang
11-11-2007, 11:37 PM
This is so ALIVE...i just love, love, love the way you have put your color down!!!
Thanks so much for the WIP...5 stars!!!!!

Tracy

Mike_Beeman
11-11-2007, 11:39 PM
OK ...it's getting late and I apologize for not having this done sooner, but I had to do my walk, eat dinner and that other stuff that seems to be important at the time.
I went back in and touched up the eyes...had little blue circles there before, added some stronger color to the background and found a few places that I could add a few darks. I also added a feather on the left side to break up the space a bit....I'll look at it for a while and get a photo to the client for input.
I believe the title will be "Central Thunder"
Thanks for looking!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2007/49603-wipfd6centralthunderj.jpg

David Patterson
11-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Beautiful finish Mike!!

Colorix
11-12-2007, 06:38 AM
Thank you!!!! for showing this wip. it is gorgeous!!!

Charlie

BevArtisan
11-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Wow! ///this is very different from my approach to pastel painting. I was wondering how the introduction of all the vibrant backround color was going to integrate into the painting. I love the way you used it to frame the face. I also love the way you used the shadow over the top of the head to provide definition. This painting is filled with motion. You have captured the spirit of the feathers. I love it!

Mary Brigid
11-12-2007, 07:08 AM
The movement in this is super Mike. Thank you so much for sharing with us
Mary Brigid

CindyW
11-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Just beautiful!!!!

Cindy

Colorix
11-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Please, could some more people rate this thread so it gets all the stars it deserves.?Wouldn't want this one to sink into oblivion, now would we?

I gave it a 5, btw. (Sunny grin)

Charlie

PeggyB
11-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Great finish Mike. Your client should be very happy. Thanks for sharing your process.

Peggy

Tracer
11-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the WIP. It's absolutely wonderful. I knew it would be really colorful! Really great painting!!!

Tracy

reveur
11-13-2007, 07:31 AM
beautifull

Doodlebug1967
11-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanksf or the WIP Mike. As usual your work is stunning. This could have been a painting for my High School. We were red and white with an Indian mascot. I still can't believe you do all this on Canson paper. I can't get it to hold much at all...and you have so much color and so many layers. Well, you hit perfection every time!

(Paula, sorry I was late with the popcorn for this show. I had some hot cocoa too! I would have shared with you all.)

Ronda

bnoonan
11-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Mike - no question - a treat of a a visit as I watched the WIP.

You really captured the glory of this strong person right from the first stage.

Excellent!!! Barb

Continental
11-13-2007, 01:52 PM
The colors are fantastic! Pastel is an extremely powerful media. I've heard that the color can rival Oils in brilliance. I like working with pastel pencils and mainly hard pastels, although soft pastels are superb for special effects like washes.

A few years ago the Land's End Catalogs had great whimisical covers around Christmas time all done in pastel.

Mike_Beeman
11-13-2007, 11:25 PM
Doodlebug1967....Thanksf or the WIP Mike. As usual your work is stunning. This could have been a painting for my High School. We were red and white with an Indian mascot. I still can't believe you do all this on Canson paper. I can't get it to hold much at all...and you have so much color and so many layers. Well, you hit perfection every time!

Thanks Ronda....actually, if you were to look at the paiinting a little closer you would find that there isn't as much pastel as you might think....still room for a few more layers:)

I appreciate everybody looking and for all the kind comments. The next wip I do I'll make sure I start the photo's a little earlier so I can share the progress of the head for those that want to see the process.
Thanks for looking!