PDA

View Full Version : Bidder finally replied after a week!

dk_art
06-07-2002, 01:50 AM
My last auctions were weird in that I sold 11 things and 7 were bid on by one and 4 by the other (actually a little bid war between the 2 people over a few). Anyway the one who got 4 paid right away while the one who bid on 7 took a week to get back to me. I sent the usual email just after auctions ended but heard nothing from the person. I sent another one on monday (3 days after auction close) and still nothing. So today ( one week after auction close) I sent an email saying if I didn't hear a reply soon he'd forfeit the chance to have these 7 paintings (chinese ink and oir watercolour on paper). I got an email within hours and a paypal payment for the total too :p ... hehe ... very odd behavoir if you ask me. And here I had thought he might have had an accident or a computer malfunction. Afterall, he had 23 good marks and I figured he should have replied sooner.

Shai
06-07-2002, 02:23 AM
Congrats, David!

:clap:

I have a similar difficulty with one of the winning bidders as well. After sending her my usual first after-auction email, she said she doesn't want to pay by PayPal and wants to pay by cheque.

However, I have mentioned in my auction listing that I only accept U.S. cheques for purchases over US$300 (still dreaming of this possibility one day ;))... because of high international fees.

So, I sent her a response to remind her of my terms and conditions. It's been two days since I sent her this email and I still haven't received a reply from her.

It's almost four days since the auction's end. I plan to send her a reminder email tomorrow, but I don't know if I should mention anything about NPB just yet.

I'm a bit worried because this is the first time I have encountered something like this. :(

There's also a second bidder whose bid is quite close to hers. I wouldn't mind offering the painting to the next highest bidder, but I don't know when I should do this and if there's any time limit to do this.

Hmmmm...

dk_art
06-07-2002, 03:25 AM
Ebay has some general rules listed to go by as far as these concerns are ... um concerned :rolleyes: . Here's a page maybe you could read

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/npb.html

Did you mention an international money order or perhaps mentioning they could use another online payment option. Here's a place which the buyer pays for a money order online and the company sends out the money order. This way it's guarunteed and the seller could ship them out as soon as they get an email from this company ( if you wish ...or wait for the money order).

http://www.bidpay.com/

Shai
06-07-2002, 06:28 AM
Thanks!

Yes, I mentioned that I accept Money Orders through Bid Pay and international cheques with SGD funds. Worst case, I said it's OK to send cash as well at their own risk. Or, just email me back and see if we could explore other options.

Still no response. :(

gsb55
06-07-2002, 01:30 PM
I've been selling on Ebay for about 6 month had my first problem this week. It took 5 days for the wionner to reply. He said his email has not been working and gave me a new address, ..mmm

Now he says his pPayPal account is not working and would I take personl check ...mmm

I've stated in my auction, NO checks, Paypal or Money Order. I think I'm also going to start saying that I except to have alleast a response within 3 days, after all this guy bid in the last seconds of the auction, he knew he won, I wary of his stalling tactics.

I too am considering contacting the next highest bidder, I'm just concerned about bad feedback from this buyer.

Gary

dk_art
06-07-2002, 02:09 PM
If he gives you bad feedback, I'm sure there's something setup through ebay in order for you to have that removed if you contacted them to explain.

arlene
06-07-2002, 07:04 PM
No there's no way to remove it, but there is a way to leave a response to bad feedback explaining.

CarlyHardy
06-07-2002, 07:39 PM
For bad feedback to be removed, you have to notify ebay with all the facts first of all....then follow their guidelines to resolve the issue with the buyer. Occasionally they will remove the feedback, but you have to show just cause....or the buyer has to agree to its removal also. Either way its a hassle, mediation can cost you and it takes a lot of effort!

After 10 days, you can file a non-paying bidder alert with ebay. When you do that, you are free to relist or sell the item as you choose. I've had buyers who responded right away about paying....and then I don't get a check or money order as promised. I tell them "if I don't receive the payment within five days from the date of this email, I will post NPB with Ebay. And should their payment arrive after that date, I will return it"

I've only had one NPB...and they never responded to email and never sent a payment. I left a negative feedback of "no response and no payment". They did not reply to that either.

If you have a bad bidder, put them on your block bidder list. Then you won't have a problem with them again. If someone leaves you bad feedback...you can respond to it. Your response will appear directly below their feedback.
carly

Shai
06-08-2002, 07:47 AM
My bidder finally responded after a reminder email (with the mention of a possible NPB). She said she's just sending cash by mail, at her own risk. So, we'll see how this turns out.

One other concern is: I'm leaving for a 2-week holiday in a few days. So, if I don't receive her mail before I leave, I don't know what to do. :confused:

--- crosses fingers and toes at this point ---

Sumafra
06-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Shai, if you haven't received her payment when you're leaving for your holidays, I would send an email advising her of this and telling her that you won't be able to ship her painting until after your return since her payment hasn't arrived. At this point, it's her problem since the delay was caused by her in the first place.

Shai
06-09-2002, 07:24 AM
Thanks for that advise, Suzette. You're right. I would email her in a couple of days about this if her payment doesn't arrive before I leave for my holiday.

I would do this as well to another recent winning bidder who hasn't replied to my email just yet.

Hmmmm... this is the first time I'm encountering bidders who are taking their time to pay. Yikes!

At the same time, I met my first bidder who paid the most expensive piece I have sold to date without any reminder. And, this collector actually has 0 FB. Woohoo!

Thanks again!

blondheim12
06-09-2002, 08:43 PM
I had a terrible experience with a frame I bought on ebay. Unbeknownst to me, my mail through my website wasn't getting to me. I had bid on a frame and won in a dutch auction. I kept sending the people an email to see how they wanted to handle the sale, not realizing that they were writing back. Yesterday, I finally got the 200+ emails and when I realized I had received mail form them I wrote right away and am sending them a check tomorrow for the frame. They were very understanding.
This is just to show that things can happen.:(

Love,
Linda

http://lindab.dougie.net/epotw/

kjsspot
06-09-2002, 11:30 PM
Very good point Linda! However, you generally can get the phone numbers of the people from Ebay. I usually make sure to call them and leave my number as well just in case they are having some kind of computer troubles.

Maggie J
06-10-2002, 02:46 AM
I'm having same problem with a sale at present. In eBay's rules it says I can file a non-paying bidder alert and then request a final value fee refund .
It also says I can offer an item to the next highest bidder if I can't contact the highest bidder.
Can I still sell to the next highest bidder if I can contact the high bidder but they just won't pay. Sorry if that's a muddle (just like me:D ) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kjsspot
06-10-2002, 08:19 AM
Yes, you can make an offer to the next highest bidder. On your auction page for that item, you'll see a link that says Make a Personal Offer. That's where you can do it.

Maggie J
06-10-2002, 09:07 AM
Thanks kjsspot - I couldn't find the answer on eBay as it's such a big site! I've got two people at the moment with whom I'm having probs - one said she'd send a cheque but hasn't so I've sent her a gentle reminder and the other one hasn't replied since winning the auction !!!! After reading through this thread I guess we should call it the 'silly season':D !

I might try a phone call though as could be computer probs as you say.
In the last six months I've only had one other person back in April who didn't contact for a week even though I e.mailed her, then bounced a cheque!! and then sent me postal orders finally. I think she was just stalling for time actually.

Oh well - hope everyone gets paid soon !
Maggie

Laura Brito
06-12-2002, 11:07 PM
It isn't unusual for someone to take days to respond to an email, I have had people take up to 2 weeks, so I wouldn't worry to much about it unless they have alot of negatives.

btw, ebay will not remove any feedback unless you pay an outside moderator to moderate the problem, even if both of the parties agree, you still have to have a 3rd party. I have 5 negatives and they even say it is a mistake! hehe, oh well, I just have to live with them, even though we have been willing to have the moderation done we just can't seem to get it removed...

Good Luck
Laura

dk_art
06-13-2002, 07:54 PM
"I have had people take up to 2 weeks"

It's my opinion that 2 weeks is really highly unacceptable. They were there to bid and now that the bidding is over they should make some effort to respond within a couple days. If someone took 2 weeks they'd definately forfeit their chance to have my items! It just makes it harder to keep track of items and people.

It's only common courtesy for someone to respond quickly. I have around 18 auctions every week and I don't want to have to keep track of people for weeks on end. Luckily most of my people pay by paypal within a few days which is awesome.

I must add that in my original case, the person was having a bidding war on several items with someone else up until minutes before the auctions closed. So I know he was there. I sent my email later that night and it took a week and two more emails to get a reply. Odd that he replied when I said he'd forfeit the items. I had thought maybe he had an accident or his computer broke. I mean it only takes a second to reply which jives the seller an idea of whats going on.

Laura Brito
06-13-2002, 09:11 PM
I don't like it when people take their time either, but after receiving a few negatives because I was expecting people to be faster (long time ago) I decided not to worry about it as much and it has made a difference. I have a couple of my best customer take up to 3 months to pay me, but I know they will, so I don't bother them about it to much, I only email them occasionally to remind them in a very friendly way. They are after all my best customers and worth about 6,000 a year or more. So I am now very careful.

Of course it is up to each person, I was just giving my own experiences.

Good Luck!
Laura

dk_art
06-13-2002, 11:20 PM
I guess I woud find waiting 2 weeks hard becasue what I sell on EBAY are small items which are relatively fast to make and I tend to sell like 14 each week. So I don't want to have to keep track of things too long. I have a pretty good system going on how to manage these things. but it can be a bit of work expecially since EBAY people have these nicknames which often have nothing in common with their real names (one person on my last auctions had a number like 873526 which really helped :P ) so it's a bit of keeping track of which ebay name belongs to which real name on the emails .... ugh. If everybody waited 2 weeks to pay me I might have 35 items to be paid for and I'd hate to have to keep track of all that stuff :p

Most people are great though .... and paypal is so handy. It makes things so much easier than waiting for money orders for a week or more (some people send money orders though which is alright).

Sounds like you have a few good customers. That's great!