PDA

View Full Version : LOOSE? or Just Messy???

ceEllicott
06-07-2002, 01:47 AM
hi all

I started trying acrylics a couple of months ago by doing TINY paintings and have slowly worked my way up in size.
This is my second full-sized painting with brushes and acrylics (I've been a pastel and drawing type up till now).
SOOOOOO
I feel like it's not polished. But then I think, well maybe this is me just loosening up a bit, since my pastel work is usually as stiff as a board.....

any thoughts on this painting are totally welcome.
It's 8.5"x11.5"
acrylics on watercolor paper.

OH -- and yes, the rabbit is supposed to have that squished face etc. He's a show type holland lop.

cheryl

ceEllicott
06-07-2002, 01:51 AM
well it looks like my picture didn't load.
Here's my second try.

:)

cheryl

ThinkSeeDraw
06-07-2002, 01:53 AM
Accuracy. Like you would see in a pastel portrait... It looks great :D Are you liking acrylics compared to pastels??

surreal
06-07-2002, 01:58 AM
I like it alot.
It looks polished to me and like you're an old hand at using acrylics.
surreal

donsha
06-07-2002, 02:30 AM
This is so cute and looks so real.....how do you get that polished look on your painting??? Can't wait to see more of your work.

Sharon

mf.sutton
06-07-2002, 04:36 AM
This is an excellent painting, such good realism, I love this - mike

TheLymner
06-07-2002, 11:02 AM
WOW, this is only your second attempt at acrylic? WOW. I have a question, you said this was acrylic on watercolor paper, did you gesso it first? I have never used acrylics on watercolor paper, except in a watercolor technique. Great coloration on this little fellow.

Danny E Haislet
TheLymner

KarenU
06-07-2002, 11:36 AM
Well personally...I can't see a messy thing about this painting! I think its fabulous!

Danny...I just did a bunch of 4 x 6 watercolor postcards using acrylics (not in a watercolor technique) for the postcard exchange 3 project, and just painted straight on the watercolor card with no problems whatsoever.

ikre8t
06-07-2002, 12:59 PM
This is amazing......that you are new to acrylic. The texture you use throughout the whole piece, and not just on the animal is very interesting.......successful.

orchidlover6
06-07-2002, 02:19 PM
perhaps there is hope for me when my acrylics arrive!

this is wonderful. I love your style.

ceEllicott
06-07-2002, 05:05 PM
thanks for all the great comments -----

to answer:
yes I think I like acrylics better BUT I feel "out of control" somewhat. I hate that feeling but it does produce more character than my tightly controlled pastels, imo.

I'm doing a double techinique I suppose. I do the underpainting acrylics in a watercolor method (no gesso - never tried the stuff, not sure what to do with it?) and then the top layers are built up in typical acrylic application.

and actually this wasn't my second acrylic, but my second full-sized acrylic. This past month and a half I painted about a dozen miniature acrylics to get a feel for it. They were 2" wide and sold VERY well to dollhouse miniature collectors......

cheryl