PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Rose_ Christmas Card ? WIP

MLight
11-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Thanks to all who encouraged me to do this WIP. I've never done one before and I'm very hesitant about how all of this will turn out.
One of my biggest concerns........I'm recovering from a cervical fusion and am in a hard collar- neck brace. I have my good days and my bad days so this WIP may take longer than most but I do hope to get it accomplished.
So.here goes, my subject. A ref photo of a Christmas Rose. I LOVE Christmas and I LOVE Roses so I chose this reference photo for my first WIP:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2007/89235-ref.jpg
After some discussion in the learning zone, I decided to add a more "Christmasy" look to this since my ultimate goal is a Christmas Card. So, I added some holly leaves:
Here's my line drawing:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2007/89235-ChRoselinedwg.jpg
I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ANY COMMENTS ON THE COMPOSITION, Please.

The orange color is my masking fluid - where I masked off the stamens.
I plan to make some of the holly leaves "dissappear" into the background. negative painting?. - We'll wait and see how and if that happens. :lol:
This is my chosen color palette...a bit strange as I've never seen Opera used as a primary red:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2007/89235-ChRosepalette.jpg I chose Opera for its "pinkish" color, as the white Christmas rose matures, it turns to pink. I may have to dull the color as it is truly "bright".
Here's my color ananysis:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2007/89235-colors.jpg
This may end up beng a total flop.. nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I'll just try it and see what happens next.:eek:
Until next time:
ML

Yorky
11-10-2007, 04:23 AM
What a wonderful reference and a great start Michelle.

Christmas Roses were always a feature of our Christmas table until we lost them last year.

Doug

painterbear
11-10-2007, 05:50 AM
Hi ML,
Good for you doing this as a WIP! Don't worry about how long it takes, each time you add another post to the thread it will bring it to the top again and those of us who are subscribed to it will get a notice. :D Take your time, just try to finish before it's time to send it out for Christmas. :lol:

Your composition looks very nice. I like the Christmas roses a lot (they are a gorgeous flower). The holly leaves may be a little small in comparison to the flowers. I'm not sure how big the Christmas Roses are IRL but they will look enormous against holly leaves that are so much smaller IMHO.

You've done some good preplanning with your color chart.

Sylvia

MLight
11-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Your composition looks very nice. I like the Christmas roses a lot (they are a gorgeous flower). The holly leaves may be a little small in comparison to the flowers. I'm not sure how big the Christmas Roses are IRL but they will look enormous against holly leaves that are so much smaller IMHO.

Sylvia[/QUOTE]
-------------
I just popped in for a minute before I started painting today - I'm glad I did:)
Looking at the line drawing, I tend to agree that the holly leaves might be a bit small - Thanks Sylvia
I'll go take a look .........
will post some progress this evening,
Have a great day!
ML

madmum
11-10-2007, 05:46 PM
A lovely idea for your Christmas card! Glad Sylvia spotted the small holly leaves before you couldn't change them. I'd be wary of using Opera due to it being fugitive, but if permanence isn't important go for it! ;)

Ruth

MLight
11-11-2007, 09:44 PM
A lovely idea for your Christmas card! Glad Sylvia spotted the small holly leaves before you couldn't change them. I'd be wary of using Opera due to it being fugitive, but if permanence isn't important go for it! ;)

Ruth
Thanks Ruth for the reminder that Opera is marginally lightfast but since I started this journey with Opera and subsequent mixes..here goes... my first attemp. Please remember that the Orange is masking fluid. Everything I've read about the Christmas Rose says the white ones take on a pink tint at maturity and that was what I was going for. Maybe it came out too pink. I dulled the opera some. OK Doug,step in here. You know the Christmas Rose.......Is this too bright?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2007/89235-1stwip.jpg
I did broaden the leaves on the holly although it might not show up much here. Can you see the drawing? Is it better? Or, did I make them too big :)
I realize I have a long way to go to get to the correct value for each petal. I just blocked them as best I could for now , kinda like filling in pieces of a puzzle:wink2: The white tips of some of the petals wont show until I do the background. Which brings up another question..how to do the bkgd:eek:
I have some good yellow-greens and blue-greens mixed for the holly leaves.
What to do about the darks.....all help is appreciated:)
Oh Yea, I forgot to mention, I have a full set of Daniel Smith's luminescent paints and since this is Christmas, I thought I might try incorporating them in some way.
Any ideas??????
ML

painterbear
11-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi ML,
The Christmas roses are starting to look beautiful. Very delicate shading on the petals.

The holly leaves look much better proportioned now also.

You are off to a good start.

Sylvia

LyndaN
11-12-2007, 02:14 AM
I have never heard of a Christmas Rose but it is very pretty and I can't wait to see the next part!

Yorky
11-12-2007, 03:35 AM
It's looking really good ML, but ours were more prone to yellow than pink. There are pink and even dark red varieties though.

Doug

olliewood0702
11-12-2007, 12:34 PM
OHH.....they are looking WONDERFUL so far ML!! Awaiting another post.

MLight
11-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks to all who responded here. I hope no one gets their feelings hurt if I don't respond individually. My neck is screaming at me right now but I did want to post another WIP. I glazed all the leaves with azo Yellow and then followed with a glaze of my green mix (Azo Yelow + UB) I will finish the detail on the leaves later:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2007/89235-2ndwip.jpg
Right now it looks like the leaves are taking center stage but I hope that will change once I strenghten the values of some of the rose petals, finish the detail in the leaves, and consider...:eek: the dreaded background:eek:
All C&C's are welcomed- as well as...all HELP!
Thanks and Nite/Nite
ML

hpthecat
11-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Well..I salute you...someday I'll be able to paint like that...

laudesan
11-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Looking luscious

MLight
11-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Well, I managed to ruin it :eek: :eek: :eek:
No more delicate, lucious, etc.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2007/89235-ugly.jpg
I spent all day Wednesday laying in the detail fo the holly leaves. Then last night, for some reason, my darker side prevailed and I tried to go really dark on the background. Then I tried to lift off paint im some areas of the background.
In any event, other than the roses...IMHO this painting is terribly overworked. I don't think I'l spend the time to complete the roses. The paints ended up being really granulated. Is that due to Opera? anybody know?
Oh well, my first WIP takes a nose dive.
Thanks to all who looked here and I'm sorry to disappoint you.
ML

laudesan
11-15-2007, 10:16 PM
WOW. Your Christmas Rose looks like it is sitting on a bed of Silk.

I love it.. :clap:

JJ

Yorky
11-16-2007, 03:55 AM
Lovely work on the flowers and leaves.

I would tend to go much darker with the background to make them "pop".

Doug

painterbear
11-16-2007, 05:50 AM
ML,
Put this away for a few days before you make a final decision about finishing it or not.

It really doesn't look bad from this side of the screen. It may not look like what you first envisioned, but it doesn't look bad enough to file in the circular file. ;)

Look at your reference photo again and notice how dark the background is. As Doug said, you could put another layer of color on the background to make it even darker to match that.

Sylvia