PDA

View Full Version : Question about drawing support

SanDL
11-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Hello everyone,
I feel like I am crashing a party when I enter a new forum.
I recently did a large abstract pastel drawing at work 30"x30"(I teach high school).
As it often is with my drawing, some the best ones are done on the spur of the moment, and on the worst supports. This time I worked on cheap white roll paper, I'd say about 60 pound in weight. It took a lot of pastel without any trouble, but I know that it won't keep well.

Any suggestions on how to mount the work? Could I somehow fix it matboard?

LJW
11-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi, SanDL, and welcome to the Oil Pastel forum. You mention 'pastel' in your question - did you use oil pastels or soft pastels? The solution may depend on which you used, since soft pastels do not adhere to paper as well as oil pastels do. I haven't mounted paper to board myself, but perhaps someone else can help. If you used soft pastels, you might want to post your question in the Pastel forum. Jane

SanDL
11-09-2007, 11:24 PM
It's oil pastel.

Pat Isaac
11-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Welcome, SanDL to the oil pastel forum...:wave: and you are not crashing a party. we are her to offer help and support if we can. I also taught high school for many years and loved it. I'm not sure about what to use to mount the piece, but if you did I would certainly put it on acid free mat board or foam core.

I would love to see the drawing.

Pat

SanDL
11-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks for your response. :)
I'll take a pic on Tuesday and post it.
Every now and then I just have to draw something big during class time to stay sane. I tape a large piece of roll paper on the black board and go to town.
The students are usually working on something of their own. I often invite another student to draw next to me. I like the shared energy, and it quiets the class down a little as they watch the action.

This particular drawing is a large b&w spiral composed of many layers of slashes and hatch marks. The students say it makes them dizzy.

I was surprised how much the paper tolerated the heavy application. I think if I hinge it to some foam core it will last for a while.