PDA

View Full Version : Turning pencil study into a WC

ranunkel
11-09-2007, 04:00 PM
One of the projects for my botanical class is to turn a pencils study of a leaf into a WC.

I did the pencil drawing from life, but I did take a reference photo to capture the colours. The leaf crumpled long before I finished my pencil drawing so now I am glad I took the photo.

I haven't finished the wc. I am using the drawing as reference for values and as you can see on the grey scaled WC (done in Corel Photo shop)
I still have a long way to go.

Any comments are welcome

ranunkel
11-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Sorry here are the leaves!

mimitabby
11-09-2007, 05:50 PM
You did a great job. I think you can get more black in there though, that's a great photo!

HarvestMoon
11-09-2007, 05:59 PM
your drawing is just fantastic- so is your watercolor!!!

I took a paleontology class, and we had to draw the fossils.... it is a great way to learn about something- you really have to LOOK closely and see all the features to draw things decently- I am sure that was the idea behind your professors assignment- but your leaf is so much better than any drawing I have ever done- I am sure you will get an A+

painterbear
11-10-2007, 06:35 AM
Hi Ranunkel,

I agree with ^^^ that your photo reference and the pencil study you did of the leaf are really well done.

Your watercolor is coming along nicely, but IMHO you can go darker with your tones, especially on the right side. You might run a color copy off and try spattering it to see if you like the effect.

I also see some blue areas in your photo reference that you might consider adding.

Can you tell us the size you are working on? It's hard to tell when we see the painting on our screens.

Sylvia

ranunkel
11-10-2007, 08:08 AM
The size of the leaf I am painting on is 18 cm = 7.1 in. *1 7 cm = 6.7 in.
Yes blues are still missing, I am building this very slowely layer by layer.
I started with thin layers of the local colour mixed with Neutral Tint.

painterbear
11-10-2007, 08:11 AM
I have Neutral Tint and seldom use it. I found it to be pretty powerful, so instead I mix my darks.

Sylvia

ranunkel
11-10-2007, 08:27 AM
I don't like working with the Neutral Tint, I think she asked me to use it so that I wouldn't have to think so much about colour mixing, but I don't like the result I would rather mix my greys/darks my self.

wedad
11-10-2007, 01:05 PM
really excellent job

ranunkel
11-15-2007, 01:05 PM
I finished this one.
I added the blue colours and darkened the shadows a bit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2007/18189-3-flig-leaf-wc-1-600.jpg

painterbear
11-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Lovely finish. I like the pale out edges and the deeper tones in the middle. Great work on the veins as well. :thumbsup:

Sylvia