PDA

View Full Version : Entry for Art Competition #1 in NZ

donsha
06-06-2002, 07:45 PM
Well I gathered my courage and have completed two paintings the first is below for two Art Competitions coming up in NZ over next couple of months. I decided to give it a go and of course any comments are welcome. I expect nothing but feel the exposure would be good for me.

Painting below is acrylic on 36 x 31 canvas board and is called
"Guardian of Coromandal Peninsula".

Mybubblewall
06-06-2002, 08:54 PM
I really like this. The lighter color surrounding the 'bush' seems to make it glow. Very nice!

For some reason, the shore on the right side seems awkward. It could be the dark water there.. it could be that the points that jut out are the same length.... or maybe it seems confined by that right branch. I'm not sure what it is.

Other than that small bit, very nice, very nice.

donsha
06-07-2002, 02:28 AM
Thanks for your comments, and yes I do see what you mean and will have to look at that in my next painting of this area. Unfortunately the photo has already gone in for this one to the Art Competition so I am unable to change it now :( oh well live and learn.

Thanks again for your comments they help me to learn how to paint better.

Ivyleaf
06-07-2002, 03:10 AM
I think you've done an excellent job on this, and that is exactly what it looks like...gosh I miss it there!!!!!!

Best of luck at the competition!!!!!

:) :) :)
Ivy

artchic
06-07-2002, 10:45 AM
Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the realism ..did you do this plein air?

From the Shore,
Carole:cat: :cat: :clap:

orchidlover6
06-07-2002, 02:21 PM
love the vibrancy of the water.

donsha
06-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Artchic this was actually painted from memories of a holiday at coromandel and also reference photographs.

Ivyleaf you should come back again, good excuse to visit :)

Orchidlover6 the water is beautiful colours in that part of our world. Did a lot swimming as a child around that area.

Thanks everyone
Sharon

paintergirl
06-09-2002, 02:00 PM
Wow Donsha...great piece. There is an ethereal quality to the water, love the colors!
I can't see anything except maybe I would play with the shore a bit on the bottom right...just a bit more shadow in the water, set off by a little bit of foam or spray?
Beautiful piece...I would have guessed it plein air, there is such a mood of 'being there'! :D
Good for you on entering the competition...We are all rooting for you!:clap:

surreal
06-09-2002, 09:13 PM
The composition is very interesting!
The tree is very unusual and exciting.

surreal:)