PDA

View Full Version : Gilded Old English A

marie_d
11-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Tried the gilding again to-day. Being a total novice I chose the old english A for a simpler letter for gilding. Still persevering.

Loose leave gold on parchment paper, 3H pencil, 0.3 waterproof pigment pen, gouache.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2007/102905-old_english_a.jpg

TessDB
11-14-2007, 06:40 AM
Ah... Gilding. One of the many skills I *really* want to master. Haven't managed it yet. :cool:

Your "A" is really nice. How large is it? Are you planning a series? Y'know, one down, 25 to go. :D

Tess

marie_d
11-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Thank you so much for your comments Tess. The letter A is 1.5 ins x 1.75 ins, including the scroll work its 2x3". Trying to get a nice raised base to adhere your gold leaf to is difficult, its amazing how many air bubbles you manage to get even when you are being very careful applying the gilding paste (dont know why they call it paste because its very watery).
Dont think I will be doing a series :D I think the next gilded letter will be a gothic one.

By the way I love your Celtic Tutorial, very interesting. I have been practising your triangles and spirals.

scribblet
01-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Looks great to me, I've never had a lot of success with gilding. My gold leaf is languishing away in a drawer. :)-