PDA

View Full Version : a question about framing! help!

reeta
11-06-2007, 06:49 PM
:wave: Hi Everyone,
I recently finished an op of some fall leaves. I wasn't that satisfied with the piece, although I thought it was okay. When I went to store it in my flat files, I put a piece of wax paper over it as I do with all of my pieces that I'm not sure I'll frame, and saw the painting transformed. The wax paper gave a misty look to the leaves that was really quite pleasing. It sort of muted the whole piece. So, My question is, could I mat and frame this piece with a piece of wax paper over the original op? How would that hold up over time? Does this seem like a crazy think to do? It really gave this particular piece a very interesting effect. Thanks, Reeta

LJW
11-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Reeta, I haven't a clue, really, but I doubt that wax paper is archival. If you are not going to sell it, it probably doesn't matter. Maybe you could find a lightly frosted glass that would give the same effect? Hopefully someone else will have some ideas. Jane

wabbitt
11-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Back in elementary school, before budget cuts killed arts in school, I did a little project where we shaved crayons and sandwiched them between two pieces of wax paper. Then teacher ironed them together (under a clean cloth) and sandwiched that between a mat and backing. Very cool result. Maybe try the ironing thing on a tiny size first.

Pat Isaac
11-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Reeta, I'm not sure either and it would be a shame to ruin a nice painting. What about glassine? I do think that is archival, but may not be as transparent as wax paper. Is there any way you could achieve the same effect with your OPs, like a glaze?

Pat

AnnieA
11-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Reeta: I don't have any idea about the waxed paper, but maybe you could achieve a similar effect, once the original is completely dry, by putting down a thin layer of one of the irridescent Sennelier OPs.

reeta
11-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Jane , Julie, Pat and Annie,
Thanks for all of your input! They were all great ideas. I decided to go with the glassine , which looks very similar to the wax paper. A mediocre piece turned into a piece that I really love. I was planning on selling it, but now I think I'll keep this one for myself! Thanks again, I always appreciate your comments so much!
Reeta

Paulafv
11-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Plexiglass is another option.

reeta
11-14-2007, 08:54 PM
thanks paulafv,
I actually took the glassine off because I could see lines in it (small creases) and bought a piece of frosted glass which I like even better. Thanks for responding, Reeta