PDA

View Full Version : North Light Book Reviews

gingerjane
11-01-2007, 09:25 AM
I would love to hear what you have to say about some of our books and I'm sure that some of your fellow members would like to hear what you think of some of the North Light Books. So - I've started this thread for you to be able to post your reviews. :clap:

Can't wait to hear from you!

Ginger

Young_Artist
11-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I got Acrylic Landscape Painting by Hugh Greer when i started painting 3 weeks ago, i love the book, tells techniques, supplies and everything you need to know, the layout is terrific and i can't describe the paintings in it...! It's a short review but that's what i think about the book!

canvasishome
11-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Hi Gingerjane,

I'm a big fan of NL books. I'll work up a few reviews here shortly.

Would it be OK if we reviewed some NL books that are a bit older and out of print? They are still available via eBay and used book stores, so some readers may be interested in finding out more about them as well as the current crop.

-dk-

gingerjane
11-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Hi Gingerjane,

I'm a big fan of NL books. I'll work up a few reviews here shortly.

Would it be OK if we reviewed some NL books that are a bit older and out of print? They are still available via eBay and used book stores, so some readers may be interested in finding out more about them as well as the current crop.

-dk-

Of course! I think that ANY reviews, especially if you find a book that has been especially useful is always good! :)

kadon
11-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Living in Australia I haven't seen any of your books, but have you ever considered putting books on-line. I subscribe to a magazine in USA that does this and it is $15.00 for the year. It is within my budget allowance.

gingerjane
11-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Living in Australia I haven't seen any of your books, but have you ever considered putting books on-line. I subscribe to a magazine in USA that does this and it is $15.00 for the year. It is within my budget allowance.

Thanks for your comments! :)

We will soon be offering books in a downloadable format - they will be priced per title, versus a yearly subscription rate.

Did you check out our sneak previews section? Make sure to check that out for some great ideas and peeks at our books. ;)

kadon
11-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Good news!

Katwyld
11-21-2007, 01:29 PM
I actually picked up Acrylic Revolution about a month ago after being able to look through it at a store. I'm in LOVE with that book. Since I want to be able to paint on more than just standard stretched canvas, the listing on how to work with other supports was just fantastic... and I've seen a lot of other little techniques for what to paint with in there that have started to become useful.

It now lives on my desk where I paint so I can grab it when I want to look something up. Best book I've bought in a long time.

KreativeK
11-21-2007, 02:18 PM
:wave: Hi Ginger! I am a frequent buyer and long time member of NLB. I credit them solely with giving me so much help, encouragement, and a positive outlook these many years. Even this year was Member of the Issue!:cat: In particular, most helpful has been Nita Leland's [I]The New Creative Artist.[I]The Watercolor Basics series continue to be helpful to me and to my students. Thanks NLB!:clap:

gingerjane
11-27-2007, 04:11 PM
I actually picked up Acrylic Revolution about a month ago after being able to look through it at a store. I'm in LOVE with that book. Since I want to be able to paint on more than just standard stretched canvas, the listing on how to work with other supports was just fantastic... and I've seen a lot of other little techniques for what to paint with in there that have started to become useful.

It now lives on my desk where I paint so I can grab it when I want to look something up. Best book I've bought in a long time.

I agree - I totally LOVE this book! I use it a lot for papercrafting, too! :D

gingerjane
11-27-2007, 04:12 PM
:wave: Hi Ginger! I am a frequent buyer and long time member of NLB. I credit them solely with giving me so much help, encouragement, and a positive outlook these many years. Even this year was Member of the Issue!:cat: In particular, most helpful has been Nita Leland's [i]The New Creative Artist.[i]The Watercolor Basics series continue to be helpful to me and to my students. Thanks NLB!:clap:

Thanks for the review Kay! It helps to know what books have been great for other artists! (Plus, I'm sure this helps your fellow artists on WC!)

:D

KreativeK
11-27-2007, 05:00 PM
You are welcome, Ginger!

Westerngirl
11-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Through the years, I've probably bought dozens of books from North Light, but by far the one I refer to over and over again is Margaret Kesslar's "Painting Better Landscapes". Don't even know if it is still in print. That book is packed so full of useful info I just never get tired of it.

Her second book about color in landscapes was good, too, but the first one was absolutely great.

gingerjane
12-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Through the years, I've probably bought dozens of books from North Light, but by far the one I refer to over and over again is Margaret Kesslar's "Painting Better Landscapes". Don't even know if it is still in print. That book is packed so full of useful info I just never get tired of it.

Her second book about color in landscapes was good, too, but the first one was absolutely great.

Unfortunately, it looks like that book is out of print, but maybe I can find a good alternative. Is there a particular technique or style that you found especially useful that I could find in another book and share?

Katwyld
01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I just got 'Paint Realistic Animals in Acrylic with Lee Hammond' (still waiting on two other North Light Books I bought, too. Figured the other one I've got is good, and these looked like winners!), and what I've been able to glean from it so far is fantastic! Lots of good tips, as well as good reassurance on the 'awkward stage' as she calls it...

Lots of good information on brush techniques (not just 'buy these brushes and paint and figure out what they do best' like so many other books I've seen), shading (as well as exercises to do for shading), a little work on color mixing and theory, and animal bits: noses, eyes, ears, etc.

Glad I got it!

clumboy
02-18-2008, 07:19 AM
The one book from North Light that has helped me more than any other is an older one: "Painting Light & Shadow in Watercolor" by Skip Lawrence. I don't know if its okay to post this here--even though its a book aimed at Watercolor, the principles it teaches really helped me in my acrylic work. I have always had trouble being distracted by detail and ending up with a painting that is just a collection of detail and not a picture. This book not only emphasized that it is necessary to think in terms of large simple shapes, but it showed with very clear illustrations what that means. It introduced the idea of using nonrepresentational color, and taught me the importance of shadows and contrast. Value was another concept that was hard for me to get my head around, but this book helped me understand it. I learned how different kinds of light are portrayed in a painting (things like direct, overhead and diffused light) and how they affect the mood of the picture. Especially helpful was a section on how to make a painting a unified whole, not just a collection of disparate stuff. The writing was clear, straightforward and intellectually honest. The illustrations and examples were very helpful, and the majority of them were the artist's own work. Like the best books of this type, I felt while reading it that this was an artist who had written a book specifically with the idea of transmitting knowledge as his goal. Originally purchased because when I saw the cover art I thought "I want to paint like that!" it has lived up to that promise. After reading it I set about copying most of the illustrations in the book to fix the principles in my mind. This is several years later, and my painting certainly does not match Mr. Lawrence's in skill, style or ability, but the principles I learned from his book have served me very well. His lessons integrated well into my own style and definitely made my paintings look more like I wanted them to. chris