PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Oct. 29 - Nov. 4

Pat Isaac
10-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Good morning everyone,

Sorry this is late, but I was having major server problems this morning. Only a temorary fix on it now and I will get a new router tomorrow....sometimes I get so upset with this technology.
Anyway here we are in our very own forum....:clap:
The Red Sox won the series....:clap: Now I can go back to a normal bedtime...:D

So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

LJW
10-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Pat, I noticed you were missing this morning - I thought maybe you were out late celebrating the Sox win in the World Series, and overslept. :) Sorry to hear you are having router problems. Jane

wabbitt
10-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Here it is :) Pat, I figured you were tired from all this moving and were sleeping in. Sorry to hear about computer problems.

This week Mom has traded a week of timeshare for a place down the street from where I work. It gives her a mental break by physically taking her away from all the boxes and clutter she has yet to sort through. It's wierd how every time she gets a week at the beach, it rains. I had friends visit me there Saturday and it rained while we were enjoying some great seafood under a big umbrella. I'll stay Wed night, but I prefer to sleep at home so I can get ready for work and school the next day. Plus I don't have a travelling computer right now, hehe.

Between raindrops, I managed to get a few sketches (watercolor pans--because it's the smallest, compactest, lightest way I can travel). I wanted to bring acrylics but I couln't get a kit together fast enough. Oh well, I'll be ready for next time. I've got some spots picked out where I'd like paint next time I have time.

Pat Isaac
10-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I mostly LOVE computers and the technological age, but there are times.....:eek:
Glad your Mom had a break, but sorry about the rain. Has it helped the wildfires?

Pat

wabbitt
10-29-2007, 07:06 PM
It was a sprinkle compared to the rains I loved to watch in Texas. It definately helped the wildfires, though I don't know how much they actually got in San Diego.

rain24
10-30-2007, 02:20 PM
The prodigal oilie has returned!

I got sidetracked this year by oh...some little thing called an engagement and a wedding :D. I've been married a month and still as happy as the day we started dating. Now that life has settled back into a little bit of normalcy, I'm going to get back into my OPs.

Somehow though I got roped into doing a colored pencil demo for our Nature Artist's Guild in mid-November. My goal is to do the traditional colored pencil this year and if they ask me back next year, I'm going to do an OP demo! :evil:

Julie - sorry to hear your mom's getaway got a little rained out.

Anyway, here I am again - taking up my little space in the OP coffeehouse. It's so nice to see everyone again. And congratulations to the Red Sox!

~Rain

Pat Isaac
10-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Well, welcome back, Rain and take up all the space you want.
Congratulations also on your recent nuptuals....a toast is in order.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2007/35760-85002-champagne_toast.gif

I did get a new router this morning and both computers are now up and running. Let's hope this one lasts longer. The repairman who came was very nice an helpful though.

Pat

LJW
10-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Welcome back, Rain, and congratulations on your new status. Hope to see some OPs from you soon.

Pat, glad to hear you're back in business. Jane

Pandemonium
10-31-2007, 01:35 AM
Greetings, all. I'm tiptoeing into the forum wondering what the Oil Gusher is and what is traditionally discussed here in the context of OPs. I'm new, just bumping around in the dark as of yet.

rain24
10-31-2007, 02:40 AM
Pandemonium - welcome to the OP forum :D. The Oil Gusher thread is just our weekly chat thread so people can chat about what's new with them so we can all get to know each other.

Everyone is really friendly here, so pull up a chair and just join in on the chat or browse around the other threads to see what everyone is up to.

Pat & Jane, thanks for welcoming me back. Oh, and Pat...I'm glad to hear that your router is up and running again. We have the same problem on our PCs from time to time :).

~Rain

Pat Isaac
10-31-2007, 07:23 AM
Welcome, to the OP forum and our little chat thread, pandemonium. :wave:
Feel free to join in and you can join our weekly sketch thread or start your own thread. Would love to see some of your OPs.
The router is still working....
I am now starting to spend a lot of time getting ready for Open Studios. I am the secretary of the group and do all the mailings and publicity. I am also in charge of the web site, which I have been trying to up date since we all moved.

Pat

LJW
10-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Welcome to the OP forum, Pandemonium. As Rain said, this thread a place to talk about how things are going for you in general. Hope to see some of your OP paintings or sketches. I'll be starting a Monthly Challenge thread tomorrow with two photos for people to work from. It's fun to see all the different interpretations of the same scenes. I'd love to have you join in. Jane

wabbitt
10-31-2007, 11:37 AM
Welcome back, Rain, and congratulations on the nuptuals!

Hiya, Pandemonium. Welcome to Wetcanvas and to our little corner of OP's. This is our weekly chat thread and the perfect place to introduce yourself.

BeckyMc
10-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi everybody! :wave:

I'm at work and not supposed to be posting, but I found something in the Pastel Journel, which I wanted to share. I hope I'm not being redundant, as I don't check in to any of the forums much lately (my personal life has been insane for the last year or so), so this may have already been discussed. There's an article in the October PJ issue about the ways different artists paint trees and one of the artists is Brett Varney an oil pastelist. The article is called "Branching Out" and Brett's work is featured on page 39. I googled him and found his website:

http://www.brettvarney.com/index.html

Julie, I sympathize with your mom - everytime we've ever gone on vacation - it rains during our trip! Even our trips to areas experiencing a drought.

I'd better get off of this site, before I get caught.... :evil:

LJW
10-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Becky, interesting painter - unusual combination of gold leaf and OPs. Thanks for the link. Jane

Pat Isaac
10-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the link, Becky. His paintings are very colorful and very Van Gogh like.

Pat

rain24
10-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Julie - thanks for the well wishes :D.

Becky - glad you posted a link to this new website. I love seeing what other people are up to.

Jane - I can't wait until your host our own monthly OP project! Come on November 1st!!!

~Rain

Pandemonium
11-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Thank you all, Annie A, Rain, LJW, Pat and wabbitt, for your kind welcome. How lovely to have a little community. I'm new not only to WC but to OPs as well, having done primarily watercolors, gouache, calligraphy and illumination, airbrush, and digital work over the years. OPs are a bit of a wild pony for me, as I have been a miniature freak, working small and obsessed with detail. I used OPs as a child but had abandoned them in favor of watercolor and gouache. Asthma forced me to abandon dry pastels and I never could so much as be in the same room with oils and turps. The asthma worsened in the 80s when I forgot to wear a mask while airbrushing a cadmium red background on a piece (stupid, I know). I still airbrush, but the set up, the process, and the hyper-cleanliness required necessitates that I be able to work uninterrupted for long chunks of time, which has become less practical for me.

So, my niece came over with her set of Caran d'Ache OPs one day recently and we got out an enormous sheet of paper and went wild on it, doing all manner of playful things with the colors. I was able to see the possibilities and then got a set of Caran d'Aches and Senns (sort of equivalent to gouache and watercolor, respectively). This forum as been a tremendous help to me in learning about this interesting medium and the beautiful artwork I've been treated to here has been very inspiring. Thank you all.

When I figure out how to post an image, I'll put up my first attempt with OPs. I'm working on another, but thus far only have a 2"x5" color study on that one. Should I be so bold as to start a thread with an image?

Pat Isaac
11-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Absolutely start a thread with an image and then add more if it is a WIP. It sounds like you are having fun and you will find that OPs are very addictive. You will get a lot of feedback and help in this forum....Welcome.:wave:

Pat