PDA

View Full Version : 'Burning' Birches

Colorix
10-29-2007, 10:18 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-29-2007/117343_Bu<br>ing_Birches.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 'Bu<br>ing' Birches
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Other
Dimension: 11.5x15
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Pastels: Rembrandt and Schmincke<br>Paper: Paper for acrylics, covered with Schmincke's Pastel Primer, rolled on, very rough surface<br>Size: ca 30x40 cm<br>Underpainting: Watercolour<br><br>Hi, this is my first post in this forum. (Painting has appeared in Soft Pastel Studio.) Tried to capture the sense of the V-shaped glow of the yellow trees amongst the darks. Photo is off colour regarding the road, it is darker irl, while sky to the right is lighter irl.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any critique is welcome. The specific questions I have are: Leve road in, or out with it? Reason I have it there is I liked the curve, and the complementary colour of it to the yellows. I'm weak on composition, so any helpful hints are welcome. Is there too much sky?<br><br>Thank you, <br>Charlie

Colorix
10-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Awfully sorry, don't know what happened. Here is picture, I hope.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2007/117343-Burning_Birches.jpg

kathrynlovespets
10-29-2007, 11:31 AM
very pretty colors
well done!

tony1
10-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Very nice, great colors. I personally like the road. I too am weak on composition, hopefully someone else will make a statement about the rod.

Really nice work.

Candices_Creations
10-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Charlie...lovely painting...vibrant colors...I like the road, myself...thanks for sharing your work.

Spyderbabe
10-29-2007, 02:09 PM
The road is a great device for bringing us into the painting. I might adjust it on the left and add some bushes so that the road does not touch the edge of the paper allowing us to veer right off the picture.

lunchbox
10-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Your use of yellow is striking and effective right down to a glimmer of it in the foreground.

painterLDJ
10-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Beautiful. I like the road. Maybe a bit more definition
in the small bush in the center. Good job!

LDJ

John Jaster
10-29-2007, 04:35 PM
It's absolutely beautiful. I want to be there.

Sometimes a nature scene can look too perfect - too symmetrical or ideal - but hey nature can turn out that way. Your version looks and feels great - I wouldn't change a thing.

obxladybear
10-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Definitely keep the road.....beautiful......looks like a spot I use to go to for some quiet time when I was a teenager....:)

Colorix
10-30-2007, 06:32 AM
Hello, thank you all a lot!

Kathleen, Yes, a bush or something in the foreground would have solved the problem of the road. I was focusing too much on the road itself, when a bush would have done the trick. Even a quarter of a bush. Thanks.

LDJ, bush in middle could have more definition. Or not be there at all, maybe? It is actually some kind of tall grass, and I didn't solve it well. Thank you.

John, thanks, I double checked my ref, as it is so easy to even out irregularities as one paints. This time I had not, but I think you make a point-- if nature is "too" symmetrical, it is a very good idea to apply some artistic license and 'tousel' it a bit.

Charlene, Lunchbox, Candice, Tony, Kathryn, thank you for looking and commenting in such a way it warms my heart. I love colour, aim for an impressionistic feeling, and use a lot of yellows for light (and peach and pink, orange and red).

Thank you,

Charlie

MRSBB
10-31-2007, 02:34 AM
Having driven a lot of mountain roads this picture really draws me in as to what is around the bend. Except for the little bush, I love it. Good use of color. Lenore