PDA

View Full Version : query re creating quality finished products

mjkohler
06-05-2002, 03:04 AM
I have been painting for about two years and must admit that I enjoy the painting rather than reading about how to do it. I have just started to sell in some small galleries.

I have been told recently that I need to paint both sides of my canvas when preparing it. And that the preparation I have been using for the paintings is no good.

I use 12oz cotton canvas, I seal it with 2 coats of acryllic primer undercoat (housepaint) followed by one coat of gesso.

I must admit that I would hate to change my modus operandus as I am quite used to doing what I do and it is economically feasible for me.

mjk

timelady
06-05-2002, 03:24 PM
I've only heard of painting both sides when using acrylics on paper. I have never heard of priming both sides of a canvas.

Nothing wrong with cotton canvas (artist canvas, not just fabric unless it's washed and treated properly) and acrylic gesso. The only problem I see here is the housepaint primer - it's not appropriate for artwork. Many oil painters swear by proper priming for oils, but many others use artist acrylic gesso.

You don't say how/if you're stretching your canvases, etc. Remember that these parts of the finished work and preparation is very important for oils if they are to last, both in terms of permanence such as colour and fading and in terms of damage such as cracking from improper preparation.

I recommend you pick up some good books on materials and also do a search in this forum - you'll come up with lots of great advice. :)

Tina.

snuffy
06-05-2002, 09:17 PM
MJ - Hope you get the answers you are looking for. If you are in the states, be sure to stop by the MJ Kohler art museum in Sheboygan, WI.

mjkohler
06-06-2002, 01:41 AM
hi, thanks for your replies. Yes I do stretch my canvas. After it has been stretched I paint it.

The canvas is bought direct from a manufacturer.

As I mentioned though I do cover the primer/undercoat with acryllic gesso.

I appreciate that I can pick up lots of advice. Thank you. mjk
:)