PDA

View Full Version : SW Bell

Ranger Dan
10-27-2007, 02:39 AM
Took this several years ago at a state park. Not crazy about the rockwork (the actual rock, not the rendering), and I suppose I could have tried to fix it some, but that was how they did things out here in the 'old west.' Most of the world 'old' means hundreds if not more years old. Arizona is not even 100 years old as a part of the United States.

Anyhow, I'm not sure how much further I'll get on this by the end of October, so I'll post it now and again here when I'm done. I used a different pen for the very dark and cross-hatched it, Micron for the rest - 01 and 005. Have been going back over the rocks (and the mortar) here and there and that is what is taking so long. The bell I thought would be tough turned out to be about the easiest part.

valchina612
10-27-2007, 05:22 AM
I love stonework and woodwork in Pen and Ink, and this has come up a treat Dan. The stone looks lovely and craggy. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

objectivistartist
10-27-2007, 06:20 AM
That is coming out real good..... great work...:thumbsup:

mudslinger
10-27-2007, 07:09 AM
what, no color??!! heh

nice one, dan...i like the different textures and the light...nothing like the bright desert sun, is there? :cool:
hey, is there gonna be some vegetation along the top? kinda looks like you have some leaves mapped out there. lloks like there's some subtle graffiti there, too...lol

mmcgarrett
10-27-2007, 09:05 AM
I really like this one, Dan. I think the stonework looks great.

Micki

MonicaB
10-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Wow, Dan, this is fantastic! From your title, however, I thought you were writing to complain about your phone company or internet connection. :p

Ranger Dan
10-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks Val, The desert a way of making wood look old fast. Certainly more interesting that way and probably a little easier to render.

Thanks Robert, It not epic-sized like your works, yet it seems to still take me more time:confused: :lol:

what, no color??!! heh
I have considered color, Lenny. I may get the colored pencils out yet (on a copy). The bell has that bluish and slightly green old bronze severely lightened by the sunlight. I really don't think I could pull it off with the colors of Microns I have.

As for the vegetation, yes, it is an ivy hanging down from over the top.

Thanks Micki, my not liking the stonework is simply in comparison to the fine stonework of cathedrals or other such buildings several hundreds of years older. Of course there were different reasons (not to mention availablity of workers and funds) for the construction.

Heh, heh, I could throw in a few words about our [Ma] Bell, Monica. Thanks!

Jakeally
10-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Wow Dan ... I really love the way you did the rocks ... they are never easy and you never know if what you are doing is right.
All I can say is that what I see is rocks:clap: :clap:
I am intrigued now.. come on spill the beans. What the heck is the [Ma] Bell

Ranger Dan
10-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks Chris, I keep going back over the rocks to make them 'just right' and the next time I look there is something else I need to tweak.

Ma Bell was THE phone service in America. A monopoly, really, and the government decided it needed to be split up and the splits were called baby bells. Southwest Bell was one of the baby bells. I not only remember Ma Bell, I remember when nobody owned a phone - you (my parents - I'm not THAT old) rented your phone. We've come a long ways since then.

objectivistartist
10-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Back then we were not even allowed to 'attach' equipment, like answering machines, unless they were from 'Ma'...... indeed have come a long ways....

mudslinger
10-27-2007, 04:30 PM
i remember our phone still had the letters in the prefix when i was a kid...it was VAlley9-3174. and technically the number was 829-3174, but you could just dial 9-3174 and call. i guess it was because it was such a small town at the time...

amazing i can still remember that...:D

jeez i feel old right now! :p

MonicaB
10-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Wow, Lenny, you *are* old! :lol: JK

Anyone here besides me have a party line?

objectivistartist
10-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Ahhh - yes, the party lines - oh my were they fun......:lol::lol::lol:

Maffet
10-28-2007, 08:34 AM
OH! My God! That's beautiful. You have to have patience of saint. Really lovely structures and you can feel what is stone, what iron ... what wood. Good work

RWSewell
10-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Stunning piece, Dan, even if the stonework has been defaced...

This certainly won't age me but I remember when it wasn't necessary to dial 1 and the area code before dialing...'course then Massachusetts had less area codes to begin with.

sassybird
10-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Well whether you like the rocks in real life or not you have done a great job on them. You are moving right along with this one, and I think that using colored pencils is your best bet for the bell.

I remember Ma Bell. I went to work for Pacific Bell right after the split up. I have a T-shirt that says Ma Bell is a Cheap Mother...lol That was from one of our srikes..

dolors
10-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Wow Dan, I love the stone work and the wood texture. Also the bell is perfectly done. I can't wait to see what more will you do here. Excellent!

Ranger Dan
11-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks Jana! Patience is something I've developed more than a natural gift, but you should see me in traffic!

Thanks Rob, you know, it used to be an 'accepted' practice for photographers to put their names on a scene so ever after anyone taking 'their' picture would automatically be giving them credit. Don't think it caught on, thankfully.

Thanks Charissa, I have to get a decent print now and see how the color looks.

Thanks Dolors, I wish we had more old stuff around like you seem to find all the time. Here's a close up of the bell & wood.

mudslinger
11-16-2007, 03:35 PM
looks great, dan! you going to play with any color on this one?

seejay
11-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Great stuff Dan. The textures really look good. :thumbsup: :clap:

Cheers

tazzers2007
11-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Very Nice Work Dan !

dolors
11-17-2007, 02:56 AM
Fantastic Dan! I like very much also the shadows. Yes, we have a lot of old stuff around here, if you someday need pictures just tell me.

PVHooper
11-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Really stunning and spot on Dan

Ranger Dan
11-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks Len, yeah, I want to play with cp on a print or two and see what it looks like.

Thanks Chris, the picture is old and I almost threw it out several times. I think the textures held my interest enough to hang on to it.

Thanks Tazzers!

Dolors, I think what I need more is a viaje to your corner of the world and get some pictures in person. Of course I would need a little more time and money than I currently have at my disposal.

Thanks Paul, I think the vegetation doesn't come thru very well, but I can solve that value issue with color.

MonicaB
11-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Dan, you just keep getting better and better. :D

Ranger Dan
11-18-2007, 02:55 AM
Sometimes I'm not so sure Monica, but when I look at where I've been even just a year ago I like to think I am!

valchina612
11-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Dan, this is really terrific -- wonderful textures and shadows. The bell also looks great, and is extremely well done. :clap: :thumbsup:

Ranger Dan
11-22-2007, 03:15 AM
Thanks Val, I hadn''t forgotten you, just wanted to wait for the colour version to come out...

I started using cp before looking at the ref photo and got a bad start. So I'm not crazy about the rocks, but at least this is a copy.

objectivistartist
11-22-2007, 05:23 AM
Interesting - now the problem is, which is better........ :evil:

MonicaB
11-22-2007, 10:34 AM
I love it! The rocks look great to me. :D

PVHooper
11-22-2007, 04:53 PM
hmmmmmm

mudslinger
11-22-2007, 06:21 PM
nice! :thumbsup:

valchina612
11-22-2007, 06:59 PM
The colour looks great Dan. :clap: :thumbsup:

Ranger Dan
11-23-2007, 02:17 AM
No contest Robert, the b/w wins. I agree most with Paul on this one. I will try again, but i don't think I'll color in the original. Thanks everyone!

objectivistartist
11-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Since you were using microns for the coloring, maybe next time try the bottles, with more color variety to work from...

Ranger Dan
11-23-2007, 09:32 AM
bottles? you mean koh-i-noor with color ink? or hit the bottle before inking?:D

PVHooper
11-23-2007, 09:33 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

objectivistartist
11-23-2007, 09:37 AM
actually, was thinking of FW inks and a crow quill nib....
[as for the 'other' bottle, using port here...]:eek::rolleyes:

Ranger Dan
11-23-2007, 09:51 AM
hmmmm...don't think I've used a nib pen since highschool art class. Didn't much like it then, but didn't have much instruction that way either.

dolors
11-24-2007, 03:06 AM
I think the colored version is also great. You said it is a copy, did you use a print of your drawing then? which type of paper did you use? I like it very much and now you have two beautiful works.:clap:

Ranger Dan
11-25-2007, 02:30 AM
Thanks Dolors, I just had a photocopy done on heavy paper then colored that. I really think I can do better, so I'll try again. Still haven't pushed myself into getting prints yet. I have to figure all that out soon as I have a very small showing in January! Its a senior center art gallery, but it goes for 3 months.

VineeD
11-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Dan, you have done a fantastic job of making something that is maybe not what your really wanted to do into something that is a very interesting and accomplished piece. Your unique style is in and through the entire work. I love the dramatic lighting on the bell and in the stone work. I like it without the color although I am a big fan of your color work too.

Ranger Dan
11-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Thank you sir! We've been missing your posts for some time now...wb

DSPIT
11-26-2007, 03:30 PM
bottles? you mean koh-i-noor with color ink? or hit the bottle before inking?:D

Or Both?:D

Thats twice you pulled off a great piece starting from something you considered negatively. I think the color one looks great.

objectivistartist
11-26-2007, 05:59 PM
yes - is amazing what a port will do [lots better than a starboard anyway........:eek::lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:]

Ranger Dan
11-27-2007, 12:39 AM
What was the other Bob? I looked back on some of my other stuff the past few years and can't remember. Thanks, btw, I still think I can do better, so I printed off a few more bells. See if I can do it 'right' this time.

Not much into grapes, myself. A nice brown ale once in a while hits the spot. On rare occassions a good stout does too.

objectivistartist
11-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Mead - there's the ticket....:thumbsup: