PDA

View Full Version : mediums and driers in oils

cobalt fingers
06-04-2002, 03:32 PM
There has been a lot of talk herein about various mediums for oils and the rate of drying one may expect from these. The trouble I see that no one has noted is that these all effect the paint's thickness or intensity or both whether you want it to or not.

Cobalt Drier used sparingly will merely speed the drying time of your paints. I use it when using lots of pigment that I know will dry slowly like cadmium orange. I can make only the orange dry faster. With practice you can make all clors dry at the same rate of speed by learning how much to add to what. I never speed the drying on earthy browns which dry fast enough anyway.
Also it can be used (again just a little at a time) with meduims. So the stuff gives you more control and freedom and isn't that fun?:cat:

The thick grass in the lower part of this work was done using drier.

agarwaen
06-04-2002, 04:45 PM
Sounds very interesting. My question; you said that you don't use driers for earthy browns, but (perhaps it's a stupid question) what do you do when you mix (let's say) cadmium orange and an earthy brown color?

Thanks for your post. :)

Greetings,
- agarwaen

cobalt fingers
06-04-2002, 11:11 PM
The idea is that each color dries at about the same rate in and of itself...mixing them doesn't effect that much...it's a good question.

kiwicockatoo
06-04-2002, 11:42 PM
So does raw umber dry very fast? Reason I'm asking is my umber dries fast - I use Winton colors - is this a property of the pigment or just of this brand? I'm fairly new to oils - I find adding titanium white slows drying, I hadn't thought of using medium to slow the dry time! Since I use umber for my underpaintings, I find it convenient because it drys so fast. I don't use any medium except for linseed oil.

The idea of manipulating mediums so all your paint drys at the same time - wow - I sure need some more experience.

Leopoldo1
06-05-2002, 12:28 AM
I am confused, so what is the question Blue Fingers?....L

cobalt fingers
06-05-2002, 01:44 PM
Some earth colors-some brands dry very fast--these you'll find feel heavy in your hand. The really expensive ones will dry really fast. Leo, they asked a question about mixing (see above)