PDA

View Full Version : What is your medium of choice?

gingerjane
10-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Hey everyone! :wave:

I thought I would pose this question simply because I want to make sure that I am providing you with the most beneficial information that I can. I know that there are a lot of mediums out there for artists to work with and which one do you prefer?

This also helps me when posting the preview links and determining contests, etc. We are also in the process of putting classes and video demonstrations together, so I want to make sure that we're meeting your needs.

Thanks for your input!

Ginger

Young_Artist
10-25-2007, 07:24 PM
I currently use acrylics, they're my #1 choice, #2 is either charcoal of graphite/ebony.

gingerjane
10-26-2007, 08:59 AM
I currently use acrylics, they're my #1 choice, #2 is either charcoal of graphite/ebony.

If you look at one of the book preview threads, I posted a TON of acrylic books in there. I will work to post a separate drawing book thread. :)

Polygon
10-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Acrylics for me, and I'll mosey on over and check out your previews now...

idahogirl
10-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Acrylics for abstract work and oils for landscapes. Really appreciate the personal touch you are putting on the North Light Books face!

:wave:

Dee

Lady Carol
10-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Acrylics.

Oh! And graphites and venturing into CP, but shhhhhhh!! don't tell anyone in the acrylic forum about the last two.

gingerjane
10-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Acrylics for abstract work and oils for landscapes. Really appreciate the personal touch you are putting on the North Light Books face!

:wave:

Dee

Thanks Dee! :D

I really like it over here - everyone is SUPER friendly and hopefully all of the things that I am posting are helpful!

Ginger

Linee
10-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Acrylics first. Then oils. :) I haven't touched my oils very much since venturing into acrylics, though.

gingerjane
10-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Looks like acrylics are EXTREMELY popular! :D

We have this really cool book called "Acrylic Revolution". I'll see if I can get some preview shots of it.

Ginger

Charlie's Mum
11-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Well Ginger, you will get mostly acrylics as #1 here in this forum! :lol:

Last year I discovered acrylic inks, so they're probably No. 1 for me just now - but any medium is good for me (except Oil Pastels!)

lolcat
11-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Watercolor is my favorite - be they traditional WC paints, WC pencils or watersoluable oil pastels or crayons.
Next is pastel/wet or dry and finally colored pencils.

kadon
11-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Oil painting is mine.

mhimeswc
11-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Watercolor!

Michelle

November Sky
11-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Acrylics are my #1, then oil. But I use my acrylics like oil and not W/C, so I like books on either/both!

eagle owl
11-20-2007, 04:16 AM
I've been using pastels but I want to try acrylic and watercolour. My plan is to use pastels over a water medium.

Carol

phobden
11-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Acrylics, of course.:)

Katwyld
11-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Used to be oils, but now it's pretty much exclusively acrylics. They're just too flexible in their use. Do a little sculpture, but not much at the moment.

gingerjane
11-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Sounds like acrylics is still the winner here! :)

Westerngirl
11-27-2007, 05:36 PM
For me, it's a draw between oils and soft pastels, with graphite coming in a distant third.

anewone
01-23-2008, 07:38 PM
I like to use acrylic's,they are very forgiving,and I get some pretty good
effct's. More info is alway's wellcome! signing off, anewone:cat:

Faafil
01-27-2008, 10:53 AM
First love - watercolor, then acrylic...

bluefish
02-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Back in the late 50's/early 60's I found out about the Mexican Muralist using 'acrylics', tried them, put away the oils and never looked back. We could paint in an 'impasto' technique or 'water' them down and produce beautiful, colorful watercolor type paintings. I do, on occasion, still utilize conventional watercolor and soft/oil pastels.

'bluefish' :thumbsup:

skyeagle
07-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Acrylic, acrylic, acrylic! Moved from oils decades ago and love acrylic. Work in oil style, not watercolor with the acrylics.
Love my Helen Van Wyk books though they are about oil painting. Her teaching methods work for acrylics too. Miss her!!! Yes, they were from North Light.

old_hobbyist
07-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I've worked in acrylics for nearly 30 y. In the beginning, airbrush acrylic using tube acrylics (just because no one had concocted a true airbrush acrylic). My biggest issue with how-to acrylic books is that so much is devoted to "here are all the pretty colors, here are the bristle and sable brushes, here's how you should lay out your colors on the palette, and here's how I, a most important artist, paint pretty pictures". There is a definite need for books for the more advanced hobbyist. Tutorials on blending, particularly in figure studies and clouds. Understanding composition in areas such as abstract realism. Jim

jenniferlepore
07-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Well, acrylics still seem to be getting the most attention from artists visiting this forum. We'll work to keep more books on this medium coming your way!
Thanks for all of your continued feedback :)

jenniferlepore
07-13-2009, 04:27 PM
In response to Jim's comment, make sure to check out Acrylic Revolution (http://www.northlightshop.com/product/acrylic-revolution/). It's been one of North Light's top sellers and I think part of the reason is directly related to it's "here's a technique, now go have fun with it on your own" type of presentation.

My biggest issue with how-to acrylic books is that so much is devoted to "here are all the pretty colors, here are the bristle and sable brushes, here's how you should lay out your colors on the palette, and here's how I, a most important artist, paint pretty pictures". There is a definite need for books for the more advanced hobbyist... Jim

Thanks for the great comment!