PDA

View Full Version : okay... i think i'll take the plunge....

orchidlover6
06-04-2002, 01:29 PM
after admiring Caron's incredible acyrlic work I think i may dive (if only temporarily) into the world of acrylics. before I dole out the money I need some advice...

1. I have tons of oil paint brushes etc from my oil painting days. Will the brushes work with acrylics?

2. What colors of paint should I purchase that will give me the most range for my money? I don't want to invest alot here in case I discover my ability at acrylics is lacking.

3. Are there any other products (specific brands, etc) that I should get to make working with acyrlics easier? Such as glazes (i keep hearing them mentioned)

4. Do you mix acyrlics like you do oils?

thanks for you help in advance.

Yours OL6

terrygar
06-04-2002, 06:17 PM
orchidlover6,
wow an old pro like you coming to a new medium thats great!
My 2 cents

1.Your brushes will be fine.
2.You can get on ebay or any art store starter sets with the basic 6, liquitex:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=liquitex+&ht=1&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&BasicSearch=++

or any brand you want.
3. Varish and flow enhancer are things that you can use later after you get the feel.
4.Acrylics mix like watercolors, they dry fast (climate conditions rule here) and are applied like oil.
5. I love them and the action you can get! I really like gesso hardboard because you can really get detail with washes, that the ribs in canvas won't allow unless you gesso it flat.

Good luck!
hope this helps

dk_art
06-04-2002, 07:35 PM
I use Pebeo Studio acrylics ( 250 ml ... 8.8 oz ) even though I'm sure many will frown on them ( but I don't care). Apart from the colours being good they are affordable. I also like them because the tops are as wide as the tube ( making them easy to open unlike those little bolt shaped caps some tubes have which have made me angry in the past). I also like these bacause they have a clear plastic tube and not metal. Metal tubes annoy me and were the source of more anger when they busted and leaked and made a mess ... arggg

As far as colours, that depends on what you like to paint I suppose. Myself I mostly buy "cadmium" red, pthalo blue, primary yellow, imitation cadmium orange, titanium white, mars black and burnt sienna. I like strong colours and don't generally do muted things. I like orange so I buy that but I can mix anything I want with these colours. If I wanted a strong purple I'd probably buy that as I find it impossible to get with mixing these paints.

gnu
06-04-2002, 09:37 PM
What he said! I also have bought purple, I also like having both crimson and brilliant red. I will only buy plastic tubes too, and I prefer Reeves(which I think is a Winsor and Newton spinoff brand), but can only buy in a set, so now use some Atelier, but don't like the heavier texture. My fav colour is medium cadmium yellow. I plan to persist with acrylics, I love the versatility, now if only I could get the perfect composition & design!!

artchic
06-05-2002, 08:23 AM
Get everything that was mentioned ..the only thing you may need is a paint extender......it keeps the paint wet longer..acrylics dry fast!!! They can be used like oils or watercolors also get a few greens..such as viridian green and phlato(?) green
Good Luck
From the Shore,
Carole:cat:

orchidlover6
06-05-2002, 11:27 AM
thanks everyone. you have been a big help. Now I will sleather off to ebay to see what I can find (without my hubby knowing I'm making ANOTHER art supply purchase) :D

orchidlover6
06-05-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by terrygar
orchidlover6,
wow an old pro like you coming to a new medium thats great!

lol! Terry old yes, pro no :D