PDA

View Full Version : new to pastels, help pls?

Digiovanni
10-23-2007, 03:31 PM
:mad: I am trying pastels for the first time. I am not sure what type of pastel they are. my question is should I go light to dark or the opposite dark to light? or does it really matter? my subject is a dark brown horse in a snowy pasture with lots of shadows on the bright white snow. I appreciate any help. Tks so much! Susan:heart:

LJW
10-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Hi, Susan. Welcome to the Oil Pastel forum. Are your pastels powdery, like chalk, or are they oily, more like crayons? This is the Oil Pastel forum for 'oily' pastels - there is another forum for powdery Soft Pastels. I don't work one way or the other. I tend to work from the top of the paper down, in order to keep my hand out of my work. I would probably lay in the snow down to and just around the horse first, and then do the horse. That way I can remove any brown rough edges from the underlying light snow area if I need to by scraping back. But that works for Oil pastels - I'm not sure if it does for soft pastels. You may need to post your question in the Soft Pastel forum if that's what you have. Jane

Pat Isaac
10-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Welcome to Wet Canvas.:wave: you need to let us know what kind of pastels you are using...oil or soft. A post of the work would also help us to give you help. Let us know what it is.

Thanks, Pat

AnnieA
10-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Welcome to the OP Forum, Susan! :wave: Jane's offered some good advice. I do hope you'll post your work. :)

Chloe_1
10-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Welcome Susan to the Oil Pastel forum..Hope we get to see some of your work;-)))

Eggy
10-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Looking forward to seeing your work, Susan.

Kind regards,
Eggy