PDA

View Full Version : young guitarist

thomas w
10-23-2007, 11:21 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-23-2007/95987_youngguitarist.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: young guitarist
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I was teaching my nephew how to play a few things on the guitar and I took this picture.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything.

allanom
10-23-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm loving all the angles in the comp. Colours are good, however, I might, just to add a little zing, introduce some green somewhere. Some perspective and proportional discrepancies, but that may be nitpicking. I'd love to see more articualtion in the fingers, since fingers placement and use are such a big part of the act of playing a guitar. Overall, a very satisfying image.

Allan

Corby
10-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Nice Thomas, these seem to be getting more and more polished to me. This is almost a monochrome, one does look for more color to punch it up...however as it is, I think it is a masterful use of a restricted palette. It's like you used yellow ochre, burnt sienna and blue...neat.

GavinD
10-23-2007, 08:13 PM
I really like the limited palette and the brushwork. The folds in the clothing are especially well painted. My only criticisms are actually with your nephew's guitar playing. Tell him he needs to get that left elbow out more (therefore, don't play in an armchair) and whilst I can see he's correctly making the formation for the chord of A, he's got it half way between the second and third frets!

Slurps
10-23-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm with Corby on this one. This might be your most refined portrait to date. The shadows under his left arm and right leg and behind him on the seat are convincingly authentic and lend a lot of depth. The perspective is a great touch, the angle of his right leg is very natural. You've made a huge jump in the treatment of the hair and skin tones and in the symmetry of the facial features.

I'd like to see some highlights in the body of the guitar. The lighting seems very bright, so I'd expect some reflection of light off the guitar.

Good job on this one!