PDA

View Full Version : Send In The Clowns

bluewindfisher
10-23-2007, 07:02 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-23-2007/70598_2007026sendintheclowns.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Send In The Clowns
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 68 x 87cms
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
From a recent rodeo at Mt Isa in Queensland, Australia.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments and feedback most welcome.<br>Regards<br>Graham

allanom
10-23-2007, 10:34 AM
It's beautifully done in all respects except for the shadow under the beast and the prone figure -- the shadow mass seems to be amorphously attached to the feet of both. Suggest you pull it right away from the one leg (in spite of what your reference may say) and define the hooves better, as well as the figure's foot. Took the liberty of making digi alts -- see attached.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2007/4031-sendintheclowns.jpg

QueenBArt
10-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Graham: I just saw that you posted in here and I wanted to bring my thoughts here as well. Especially after Allanom expressed similar opion and did some alterations. I viewed your website by the way, wonderful pieces of work you do. You wouldn't by chance have prints available?

X-posted from Animal and Wildlife:
Graham: It's so nice to see two pieces of western, in particular rodeo work in this week. This is stellar, wonderful lighting, GREAT enviornment, good sense of motion and panic!*lol* I have two points that do distract me from wanting to view the piece more though, well three I guess actually. First, the hind leg that is off the ground, I see the dust and that it would be in shadow with the hulk of the bull spinning around like a whirling dervish. However the shape of it is distracting and it looks like a mound of dirt that his foot is in. Second, the bucking strap that comes from underneath, under that same hind leg and come off over the cowboys oustreched leg. This bothers me as is it kind of takes on a subject matter of its own. If this is to simulate that the strap is caught around the riders boot, and the bull is dragging him then I could see where that would work. However...this is not something I have ever seen before, and would find it rather impossible due to logistics of the whole thing. At the same time no one had seen what happened to Lane Frost before either. If this is not your intent maybe break those lines up a bit, and not have the 'connective' boundary you have drawn in. Last....and I'm sorry if I'm coming off hard, I honestly LOVE this piece, but there are some issues I do find that pulls my eye away. The horns. They seem to kind of be stuck on the top of his head and come straight up and out like a pitchfork (scary thought there!.) Cattle horns will rise from the sides of head, slightly above the ears, and behind the occipital bone and go out latteraly and then round forward. Much like the base point on a deers horn. Which is a very easy fix along the outside horn to give him that look.
Other then that you will not hear a peep from me. I knew by the title exactly what I was going to be looking at and I was so thrilled. Beautiful work and tremendous skill!!

bluewindfisher
10-24-2007, 04:10 AM
Allan: Thanks so much for going to all that trouble. I can see what you mean and have made several changes as a result.
QueenB And many thanks to you too for such a studied response. The strap is actually correctly placed although I dont think the prone man was being dragged backwards. I like the additional story implied here which I hope kinda carries the narrative beyond what is seen at this particular instant.
I am keen to hear what you think of the adjustments below. :)
Thanks again, I really appreciate your feedback.

http://www.bluewindfisher.com/images/2007026sendintheclowns.jpg

Regards
Graham

bluewindfisher
10-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Graham: I viewed your website by the way, wonderful pieces of work you do. You wouldn't by chance have prints available?

Yes Kristen, prints can be arranged. If you let me know which ones you are interested in I am happy to give you a price. :)
Thanks for your interest.
Regards
Graham

QueenBArt
10-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Graham: Wow is all I can say, I'm glad that you did leave some shadow behind. Allanom's editing took too much away, (no offense Allanom, he just looked too suspended in the air, this ties him to both, your insight definitely gave the idea!) What you have done is exactly what was needed. It gives it that veiled dust light and shadow action that is stunning. This is by far my favorite work I've seen on W.C. everything about it is just right, and alive in the sense of turmoil and struggle that takes place between a 200lbs man and a 2000lbs animal in a cramped areana. Both of which are determined to do the other in Brilliant work! I am interested in your portrait of Steve Irwin and a few landscapes, I'm also interested in this one as well! I'll send you a PM the exact ones soon. I would love your work on my walls! When we get out house, hopefuly soon! GReat work!:thumbsup:

bluewindfisher
10-24-2007, 09:31 PM
At the same time no one had seen what happened to Lane Frost before either.

Could you let me know who Lane Frost was? Was he a rodeo rider?
I am glad you like the changes Kristen and look forward to hearing from you. :)

Regards
Graham

QueenBArt
10-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Graham: Lane Frost was a pro rider on the Pro Rodeo Cowboys Assoc. and was killed in 1989 as a result of injuries sustained after his last ride. His last ride scored 85 points and on the dismount he was thrown to the ground. The bull 'Taking Care of Business'(I'm pretty certain that was the bull) came back around and hooked him in the side. It was such an unusual hit it broke ribs that went into the chest cavity and severed and artery and punctured the heart wall. He died in the arena before they could transport him out. One of his friends and competitors designed the protective vest riders are seen wearing as a result of his death. He was one of the greatest bull riders of our time. I was very young when he died but I remember it well. A movie about his life and career came out in 1994 called 8 Seconds, a great film if you have an opportunity to view it. I'll be in touch and will look forward to it!