PDA

View Full Version : QUICK!!! drying....

ElizaLeahy
06-03-2002, 07:37 PM
I have a show starting next Tuesday (today is Tuesday). I have some wet paintings. The weather is cold and raining. Will it hurt to put a heater on in the room where the paintings are(n't) drying? Will it help? Should I give up and do so gouache instead?

Thanks for the help

Eliza

Wayne Gaudon
06-03-2002, 08:25 PM
If they are acrylic you can use a heater or hair blower .. if they are oil, you are up the creek without a paddle .. time is the only healer for oil.

ElizaLeahy
06-03-2002, 08:59 PM
Yes, they are oil - but it's the water soluble kind so it might be a LITTLE quicker...

Maybe I'll quickly do some in gouache just in case :)

Thanks

lori
06-03-2002, 09:54 PM
the heater will help take the moisture out of the room and that will help your situation quite a bit. will they be dry before the show???? depends on alot of factors, even the pigments...but, to help you now...YES a heater will help...DON'T put it directly ON the painting, but rather in the room to dry out the air.

also, i hate to admit it, i've hung two paintings wet before (shame on me!)...and in the end, no worries. i work in traditional oils and the work was large format, it was hell getting it to the gallery, and the gallerist wasn't too happy...but fortunately viewers of the art do not TOUCH the art...so all's well that ends well...

bet you won't do this again...

hey, and you have a week...when are you hanging them??? that is alot of time between...keep the heater running and good luck!

ElizaLeahy
06-03-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by lori

also, i hate to admit it, i've hung two paintings wet before (shame on me!)...and in the end, no worries

hey, and you have a week...when are you hanging them??? that is alot of time between...keep the heater running and good luck!

"no worries" are you an Aussie? I'm an Aussie :)

I'll keep the heater running, and fingers crossed.

As soon as they are dry enough to touch a little I'll take photos.

Thanks!

Eliza

cobalt fingers
06-03-2002, 10:39 PM
a baseboard heater is about perfect. Some artists will turn the oven on as low as possible and then block off the area between the work and the heat source and leave the door ajar. Do not try this at home! In the summer you can put the car in the sun and roll up the windows. Place your wet work in the sunny back window area...(the place you are NOT to put video tapes!) it works great except for insects.