PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Oct. 22 - Oct. 29

Pat Isaac
10-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Good morning everyone,

Well, I'm back from a spectacular trip to Italy. My first time out of the country, so it was the trip of a lifetime for me and my husband. We had an overnight flight to Roma on the 9th and needless to say, I didn't sleep, but we and our traveling companions settled into the hotel and took off to see the colloseum...There are no words to describe this amazing structure. It is just incredible that it has lasted through all these centuries. We caught up on some sleep and left for Firenze the next morning where we stayed for 8 days. I'll have some pictures when I get the film developed.
Weather was gorgeous there and it is here also. More later.

So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

LJW
10-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Welcome back, Pat. Glad to hear you had a wonderful holiday and that the weather was fine. Will be looking for your photos. I've never been to Italy, so I'm interested to see the landscape and architecture from Florence. I'm developing a cold, brought home by my husband who has been sick for several days. What can you do! Jane

AngelaF
10-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Welcome back, Pat!!! I am glad you had a great time and that the weather was so good. I look forward to seeing some of your photos and hearing about your experiences. Seeing the colloseum sounds like it was quite an experience.

In case, you don't know already, I am a masochist -- I am now laying my own floor -- so this redo continues to keep in redo mode and not much else. So much for deadlines -- all I can say is it will be finished sometime. I knew when I retired that this was something I had to do. I did not really think it would take all of this time -- but so it goes. Though there will always be some house projects to do, I will feel like I retired a second time when I get this part of the redo done.

Congratulations on getting your Holbeins, Jane. I admire that you are so methodical about organizing them. I got a set on sale a little while back -- was afraid they would disappear since they were changing the color range. During the little time I have worked with them, I just kept putting them back in the little trays. I plan to put my current dining room table (hope to get a different one) in my studio room so I can spread out all the OP's. Your method is better. I think I am just expending all my perfectionism on interior decorating. Having some lovely fall weather here right now, have a great day and week everyone, Angela

Pat Isaac
10-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks, Jane and Angela. I'm off to my studio today to see if all is well there.
Good for you, Angela, and I hope your second retirement comes soon. House projects always seem to take longer than expected, but you certainly have had some major setbacks to yours. I hope all goes well from now on.

Pat

AngelaF
10-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks, Pat.

AnnieA
10-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Welcome back, Pat! I'm really glad to hear that your trip went well and will be eagerly waiting for you to share some of your photos. Do you plan to use them as references for paintings?

Jane: That cold must be going around. I've had it too. Hope you feel better soon.

Angela: You really are a trooper. Just think how good it will feel to retire a second time! I recently re-organized my own OP box. Like you, I had for years been simply replacing the OPs when I finished painting in the order (numerical) that they originally came in the box. It seemed to make it easer for me to know when I needed to replace a color. But now I've got a complete color chart from Sennelier, so I've reorganized them all according to hue/value and got a second box for neutrals (my even older Pentels Mungyo Gallerys and other harder OPs are arranged by hue in a little plastic chest of drawers). By removing the plastic slots, and setting them all on the foam instead, I can fit a lot more in the box. So this seems to work a lot better. I don't have enough of them for using value only as the criteria, it seems to me, but maybe I should try that to see if that might work even better. What way did you arrange yours, Angela? Or did you already describe that elsewhere?

Pat Isaac
10-22-2007, 04:10 PM
It was good to get back to the studio today even though ididn't do a whole lot...still a little out of it.
I hope you are feeling better, Jane.
Annie, not sure if I will use any of the photos for paintings as we were in the city most of the time and I saw little that I wanted to paint, but was in awe of the country and the cities, Firenze and Roma. I should have my pictures by the end of the week.
I have one of those pastel boxes without any plastic spaces, just foam and I can really get a lot of OPs in it.

Pat

wabbitt
10-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Welcome back, Pat!

Wow, Angela, the adventure continues...I admire your persistance and determination.

It's been smokey here. I'm between the Malibu fire and, I think, another one in the Angeles Forest. We can smell it even inside the homes & buildings for the past couple days while California burns. Yesterday at 2pm, the sky was so dark, it could have been 7pm. This morning the driveway was black with ashes. It's not that close, really, but the wind is blowing stuff this way. The wind is supposed to change in the next couple days.

LJW
10-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Angela, good luck with the do-it-yourself approach to the floor. Hope you get to relax again soon.

Julie, ashes on the driveway! That's a bit scary.

Looking forward to seeing your photos, Pat.

Annie, thanks for the get well wishes.

Jane

Pat Isaac
10-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Julie, that must be scary. It really is a bad scene out there. I have a niece who lives in Malibu and as of yesterday she was not evacuated, but had no eletricity and no phone. My sister is frantic.

Pat

AnnieA
10-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Oh my, Julie! I thought you were farther north and out of the fire area. Take care and stay inside as much as possible. That smoke isn't good to breathe. My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected.

wabbitt
10-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, I _am_ more north than all but one of the fires but because I am downwind, the air quality was really bad yesterday. It's a bit better today, though they tell us if you can smell it, you're breathing it. Mom's asthmatic and she's taking it easy at the house. She calls me to complain there's nothing on TV to watch but the fires. LOL, that's as bad as it gets for me...I count my blessings.

AngelaF
10-24-2007, 01:07 PM
I am sure glad you aren't any closer to the fire, Julie. Be careful, I hope it ends soon.

Annie, I also admire you for your organizing -- I really have none, since joining this group, I got a set of Senns first and then a set of Holbeins. So far, I just put them back like they came after I have finished a painting. I keep all the colors out I am using while working. I have not done any color charts yet, but think I would sitll have to label those Holbeins even if I had a chart. Do you feel you have to label your Holbeins once they are separated from the cases? I would love to arrange my colors all in value ranges, saw a good article on that in the Pastel Journal last September.

It's rainy and much cooler here now. I am involved with helping friend with a horse show the rest of today and tomorrow. I really hate stopping work, but know I can't be a hermit entirely until it is finished.

Angela

moscatel
10-24-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm glad to hear you had vacations in Italy! Must be beautiful out there.
I am interested also because I'm planing to participate an art scool in Firenze (Florence) in July next year. It would be landscape painting and lasting one month only. Would be first time in Italy for me too.

Of course, I'm preoccupied that I'm not advanced enough to keep up with the others. But I'm sure I'd learn a lot of painting in that summer course.

Waiting forward for the photos too!:wave:
------------

Wishing all the best to Malibu, CA!

Pat Isaac
10-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Sirrka, What a wonderful experience you will have. You will be fine as judged by your paintings on your profile. I have several artist friends who studied for various lengths in Florence and they learned so much.

Keep us posted.

Pat

AnnieA
10-25-2007, 01:18 AM
Julie: Glad to hear you're OK. I understand the weather's getting better now, so that's very good.

Angela: It really didn't take much time to do the arranging. I did it first by hue, then by value, but only very roughly, as I know myself well enough to know it's not likely to stay arranged anyway. I suppose if I turned them around, so that each color had it's own column, I could do a sorting by value instead, but frankly, it doesn't seem worth the effort. I have mostly Senns, with only one Holbein OP at this point, so I can't help with the labeling issue.

Sirkka: Welcome to WC! :wave: I agree with Pat; the paintings on your profile page look very well done. Are they OPs? If so, did you know you could post them here in the OP Forum? I'd love to have a closer look. You're lucky to be able to study in Florence! It sounds like a wonderful experience. :)

moscatel
10-25-2007, 04:36 AM
Thanks AnnieA and Pat,
I'm afraid most of my paintings are in oil color.

I'm hanging here in oil pastels because I purchased oil pastels and I'm trying to figure out everything about oil pastels like what brands and materials are the best. There is plenty of information here in these forums!:thumbsup:
=> then I read that Pat has been on holidays in Italy. I decided to write!

The school that I'm thinking is Florence Academy of Art.
Here is their web page: http://www.florenceacademyofart.com/Home2.html#

I'm still hoping to find a suitable school to learn landscape painting more near to the coast. In July Italy is way too hot. Some wind breeze would help enormously.

If you know any schools on the coast, I'd like to hear!:wave:

Pat Isaac
10-25-2007, 08:22 AM
Tes, it's true that July is way too hot in Italy. The Academy looks like a wonderful school though. The person I share my studio with has been to Italy many times and has studied there. I'll see if she knows any place near the coast.

Pat

LJW
10-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Sirrka, welcome to the OP forum. Glad to hear you're interested in trying OPs. I switched from water-soluble oils to OPs a little over a year ago, and fell in love with them right away. You can get the appearance of an oil with blending, and there's no mixing or cleanup required. Jane

LJW
10-26-2007, 11:08 AM
In case you missed the announcement, starting sometime tomorrow we will be a separate forum, with our own Weekly Sketch Thread and Monthly Challenge. Hope to see you all in our new Oil Pastel Forum. Jane

Pat Isaac
10-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Won't that be just great everyone??? :clap:

Pat

Shirl Parker
10-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi all. Angela I must have missed Jane's discussion of organizing her OPs, can anyone lead me to it?

Thanks,

Shirl

Pat Isaac
10-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Hi Shirl,

Here is a link to that thread. They look awesome!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449756

Pat

wabbitt
10-26-2007, 04:01 PM
In case you missed the announcement, starting sometime tomorrow we will be a separate forum, with our own Weekly Sketch Thread and Monthly Challenge. Hope to see you all in our new Oil Pastel Forum. Jane

Cool beans :) Does that mean OP's won't be under pastels anymore?

Personally, I never saw much difference between OPs and SPs other than the lack of dust. I use them both similarly and get similar results. I know people complain how hard it is to use OPs but I think they're just not using the right materials and tools.

I am looking forward to the OP sketch thread & OP challenges. Thank you, Pat and Jane for your hard work, commitment, and dedication to this medium.

Pat Isaac
10-26-2007, 04:05 PM
That's right, it won't be under pastels anymore but a separate entity. Exciting and I hope you'll join in when you can. The Gusher will still be there.
Thanks,
Pat

LJW
10-26-2007, 10:15 PM
We've done it!! Cheryl has moved us to our new Forum. Thanks, Cheryl. A historic moment for OPs on Wet Canvas. Jane

ColorMyWorld
10-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Wow! This is awsome.
Now it will be much easier for people to find oil pastels on WetCanvas

Pat Isaac
10-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Yes, here we are and I'll start setting up the library today.

Pat