PDA

View Full Version : Worthwhile to re-list?

walden
06-03-2002, 12:37 PM
I know Ebay is slow, but all 5 of my auctions expired, no bids. I'm new to this, but in your experience, is it worthwhile to re-list? Do you lower the price, or change the category, or do something else when you re-list? Thanks for any comments. :)

centyr
06-03-2002, 02:45 PM
i usually always re-list some times it takes 3 or 4 times before the painting actually sells. some times i re-list right away other times i wait for awhile. i never lower my prices just because it didnt sell. it keeps my prices consistent. i also think if i lowered my price after it didnt sell would encourage people to wait until i listed it again so they could get it at a cheaper price. sometimes i will change categories or try a different title or description but for the most part i just hit re-list and leave every thing the same.

cory

cagathoc
06-03-2002, 03:22 PM
I agree with Cory and I do the same thing.

pampe
06-03-2002, 03:26 PM
heheh

when I first started.....that happened to me a lot....I actually re-listed and raised my prices and sold...but I am sure it was coincidence...

Relisting sooner or waiting doesn't seem to matter

Keep plugging!

Pam

Shai
06-03-2002, 09:36 PM
I'm also new at eBay, so I'm still experimenting. But, I've had one experience so far with relisting that's really good. That is, the first time I listed the painting, it didn't get any bids. When I relisted it immediately, it actually had 6 bids and doubled the starting bid. So, it made me realise that the paintings just need to be seen by the right people. :)

So far, I have two paintings that didn't get any bids and I haven't relisted them yet. I figured I'd wait awhile this time.

I have another painting that I relisted immediately but hasn't got any bids yet.

My "rule of thumb" at the moment is to list paintings at least twice before 'retiring' them. The 'retired pile' would be waiting for another time when I don't have anything to sell so I could keep my eBay presence.

So, if you haven't tried relisting yet, just give it a go. It's worth experimenting.

tammy
06-03-2002, 10:16 PM
I relist all the time. Its alot easier than waiting and having to fill out the form all over again. I don't think that relisting really helps you get bids but I do think that relisting does help you to not give up on selling things. I had a painting that I relisted on ebay several time, then had it on artistnation, then Yahoo and then back to ebay within 1 yrs time and it finally sold on ebay. So the thing is "don't give up"!

walden
06-03-2002, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, everyone. I'm going to take it. :)

surreal
06-04-2002, 09:45 AM
Hi,
I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me how time-consuming it is to list items on Ebay?

Thanks alot in advance.

Nina:confused:

walden
06-04-2002, 10:38 AM
Surreal, I can list something in 5-10 minutes, but that's not a valid measure. The really time-consuming part of the process for me is photographing my art, and fine-tuning the photographs to match the painting as well as I can (since the light under which I take the photographs varies, that can be a struggle.) But, of course, I do that anyway in order to maintain my website, so it's really not much additional time (see below).

However, to really feel that my listings look good, I've had to do a couple of additional things-- host my own photos on my website, and learn enough html to spruce up my listings. (I use Netscape composer, which is a point and click web authoring program, but also, it is really an html code-generator. I use it to create the code I want, and then I can copy and paste code out of it & into my Ebay descriptions, & edit it to correct filenames & locations. What all that means is that I haven't had to REALLY learn html, but instead have just picked around the edges of it. :D I have no familiarity with other packages, but I suspect they could all be used like this.) However, this is really a one-time learning process, and once mastered, no additional time is required for each listing, other than a few seconds to upload additional photos to my site & cut & paste html. I don't use my standard website photos because my Ebay photos are different sizes and different compression ratios.

So, the answer is, it depends on how you do it. :)

arlene
06-04-2002, 01:18 PM
actually I do the same as Walden.

I made templates in composer for each of the different types of things I'm listing (template for prints, another for paper sculpture, another for original drawings, etc)

then when I want to add a new item, i go to my template, change the pictures, change the name and size, and add in any additional comments.

I then go to source code, highlight that , and put it into their template.

takes between 5 and 10 minutes as walden said.

CarlyHardy
06-07-2002, 01:08 AM
Same here on the listing time...about 5 minutes...less if I'm doing several at a time. You can use the relist similar item on the ebay site now for faster listing. It takes all the info from one and you can just change the image and size/etc for description. Ebay saves your choices for each auction if you want them too (its an option you check) and this saves a lot of time!

About relisting...there is a time limit on relisting to get your first listing refunded if the item sells the second time around....don't remember the exact # of days....but I always relist within a couple of weeks.

Remember too, if the item doesn't sell on the first relisting....don't relist it a second time. Start it as a new auction because the listing fee is only refunded on the first listing...not on the relisting! Did I make sense with that?

carly

arlene
06-07-2002, 07:06 PM
yes you did carly and the time to relist is 30 days.