PDA

View Full Version : Mandalas

spiral_world
10-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Hi,

resting of practicing to improve my drawing and painting skills I made these two (50x50 cm) pieces for fun....hope you like it
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2007/24511-mandala1_m.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2007/24511-mandala2_m.jpg

please c/c

Dragica:wave:

dolors
10-20-2007, 02:13 PM
They are great Dragica, love specially the second one. They are very big, I do mandalas sometime but A4 size maximum, I find doing mandalas is very relaxing.

Ranger Dan
10-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Nicely done! I too like the second, seems to have more 'movement' to it.

spiral_world
10-20-2007, 04:25 PM
thank you dolors and ranger dan...yes, they are quite a big...firts of this size... I have a lot of them in smaller size (A4, A5, some scrap pieces of paper), but I've found very different and more powerful to do them in big

MonicaB
10-20-2007, 05:10 PM
These are lovely! I could get lost looking at them.

judithj
10-20-2007, 06:39 PM
These are lovely Mandalas!

I am especially intrigued by the sense of multiple layers in the first one.

-Judith

spiral_world
10-21-2007, 02:20 AM
Monica..I love mandalas because I can spend a lot of time looking at their swirls, patches and other ornaments...

Judith, my sister told me first one is unfinished but I like its simplicity. Im glade someon else have found it interesting also

thanks for your nice comment girls :)

Dragica

valchina612
10-21-2007, 05:08 AM
Dragica, these are absolutely wonderful. I love Mandalas, and your work is great. :clap: :thumbsup:

spiral_world
10-21-2007, 05:42 AM
thanks val...I appreciate that :)

Dragica

djszen
10-21-2007, 09:18 AM
These are great Drag1ca. :clap: :thumbsup: I have to confess that I did not know about Mandalas.:confused: Can you folks explain what they are and what elements are included. Yours are very intricate and I love doing this type of work.

Many thanks!

Dave

susnfx
10-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Beautiful work!

Susan

spiral_world
10-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi Dave
I'm glad you like it :)
Your question is way to hard for my poor english language….but I'll try

Word 'Mandala' has its origin in sanskrit language and means 'sacred circle' but it is not just 'an indian thing'. You can find it in all primitive cultures and big religions also....from east to west. They can be mandalas in hinduism and budism, they can be dream-catchers in Native American cultures, they can be rosetes and labirynths in many european churches abd cathedrals…islamic art ocean of geometical mandalas etc.….and you can find them also in nature…wherever you can find simetry and repetition (flowers…).

They were used in healings, spiritual and ritual purposes, these days mainly for meditation and art .... and they usualy reffer on microcosmos reflecting macrocosmos

Why is that so intricate but still captivating?!
According to C.G. Jung said mandalas are some kind of picures of our unconsciousnes, instruments to our individation, dynamic and creative process of investigating and developing our inner self

What elements are included?
Circle...obvious...it is the most used form although you can find squares, ovals and other forms. Inside the circle you can put wothever you want...people, animals, plants buildigs...as much as geometric or afstracst forms, symbolic elements and words...it's up to you and your inner world...:). And then these elements can be rotated, translated, repeated..... with on or more axis of symetry..........or whatever looks good to you :)

One big note...there is no mistake :)...just play

Hope I helped a bit.....other people are more than welcome to supplement this or explain better

susan...thanks :)

djszen
10-21-2007, 05:19 PM
:clap: :clap: Thank you very much for the explanation. I am going to try some designs and post them here.

Dave

PVHooper
10-21-2007, 06:00 PM
oooh love people who think like this,stunning

spiral_world
10-22-2007, 03:00 AM
Thanks Dave....I'm looking forward to see your mandalas....:)

Paul :thumbsup: :wave:

Dragica:wave:

TeriC
11-20-2007, 09:45 PM
I love the delicacy of your design.

I am another mandala lover and even dedicated a Blog to them. Mine are not symetrical but just full of design. I get so in the zone when doing these I am always surprised when they are complete.

This is an example of one of my favorites:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1028/1452496047_6f235c8721_m.jpg

I did this with gelpens.

Teri

seejay
11-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Did someone slip something in my drink?;)

These are great, it's hard not to like a great pattern. :thumbsup:

Cheers

PVHooper
11-21-2007, 02:08 AM
make me feel dizzy, what fun

sassybird
11-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Dragica, I spent a year doing nothing but Mandalas when I was recovering from an auto accident. They were soothing to me and healing as you said. My book of Mandalas was used as an example in serveral art classes in college due to my designs and color work. Yours are excellent. I like them both but am captivated by the second one. You have put so much detail in it. I am glad you posted these. Makes me want to make more:)

spiral_world
11-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Hi people,

what a surprise for me. I thought this thread is very deep in archive :)

....but I'm glad to see other people love mandalas as much I do.

Teri, I had no clue about blogs dedicated to mandalas only. I've visited yours and I'm thrilled. Love flowers, love colors and love patterns....and you have everything :)......my favorite is wild flower madala :thumbsup:

Charisa, please make it more.... making them is an uniqe feeling worth nuorishing. Is it possible to see your mandalas somwhere on the web?!

Chris nad Paul... thanks for comments...please join us in the game of drawing (or painting) your subconsciousness :)

...AND EVERYONE....FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR MANDALAS HERE

Cheers :wave:

Dragica

dolors
11-27-2007, 11:18 AM
I bought a book about doing Mandalas from Anneke Huyser, and have done a few. I think it is very relaxing, but I don't understand why do you say they are healing, I would like to understand it. Can you explain it a bit more? I am reading art therapy books because I am teaching painting to retired people and I have seen how good art is for them. But I would like to know more about it. Thank you for your help.

spiral_world
11-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi dolors,

I think "healing" is reffered more to the mind than to the body but in the end everything is very connected... many contemporary diseases are caused by mind (psyche) ... so we are coming to the essence of eastern traditional medicine..... prevention... by healing our soul. How mandala heals? I'm not sure how other people mandala can heal me (except i enjoy watching them) but doing mandala is very good feeling and I agree with C.G. Jung...it's process of awakening your subconsciousness and knowing better yourself....and that is always good.

So, that's only my point of view but I've found for you very good definition of traditional buddhist mandalas:

'How Mandalas Heal
According to Buddhist scripture, sand mandalas transmit positive energies to the environment and to the people who view them. While constructing a mandala, Buddhist monks chant and meditate to invoke the divine energies of the deities residing within the mandala. The monks then ask for the deities' healing blessings. A mandala's healing power extends to the whole world even before it is swept up and dispersed into flowing water—a further expression of sharing the mandala's blessings with all.'

And yes, American Native Indians also had healing circles for their ceremonies

Hope it helps :confused:

Dragica

dolors
11-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Thank you very much Dragica, it is really interesting. I wonder if drawing in general has the same effect in the mind.

TeriC
11-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks Dragica! I am thrilled there are other mandala lovers here. I hope to see some other mandalas show up.

Teri

spiral_world
11-28-2007, 05:01 AM
dolors, I beleive all kind of 'focusing' and creative works have similar effect in mind (drawing, writing etc.) because art therapy is common used in wide range, from mental institution to art therapy workshops for 'normal people'. In my city there are several workshops of that kind guided both by professional artists or by psychologist involved in art so I can conclude...art is definitely healing :)

dragica

spiral_world
11-28-2007, 05:06 AM
thanks teri, there is on older pice...I draw manala on A4 colored paper and taped it with this unusual matt on wooden pannel. hope you like it

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2007/24511-mandala3_m.jpg

and this is close-up of drawing

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2007/24511-mandala3_close.jpg

dragica

dolors
11-28-2007, 08:17 AM
These are the mandalas I've done since summer in order. I don't know if they mean something but I notice that I change the colours when the season changes. First one is up and left, last one right at bottom. Very interesting thread.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2007/7220-mandalas01.jpg

spiral_world
11-28-2007, 03:49 PM
I think they are great and I can see transition in reducing colors. Did you have an idea of finished each piece before you started making them or you started just intuitively like me :)
You wrote about book of mandala making so I checked on Amazon. Had no clue there are so many books about mandalas. Please tell more about your because didn't see any review on this book

TeriC
11-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Dragica, your mandala is so peaceful and beautiful. I love how you present it. Thank you for your comments on mine.
Dolors, all your mandalas are beautful!

I just bought a book yesterday about mandalas that was recommended to me. It is "Mandala:Luminous symbols for healing (http://www.amazon.com/Mandala-Luminous-Anniversary-Meditations-Exercises/dp/0835608476/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196310613&sr=8-2)" by Judith Cornell PhD. I am just starting to go through it and already have learned and respected more about mandalas, so am excited to seriousl get into it.

I am really enjoying this subject and seeing your mandalas.

Teri

dolors
11-29-2007, 02:32 AM
Thank you Dragica and Teri. My book's title is "Mandala. Workbook for inner self-discovery" from Anneke Huyser from Holland.
I don't plan the finished drawing, I started with a circle and then I use a comprass and a ruler and make different patterns, then I ink it and paint it with markers or watercolors and see what I did. I am still learning what to do. Any information or help will be great. Teri we can share information about our books if you want.

valchina612
11-29-2007, 03:31 AM
Wow oh Wow, I just love all of these Mandalas. The work is brilliant and so inspiring. I love playing with a compass and protractor and just making designs too -- I get completely lost in them while I'm working on them. I've done a lot on 10" porcelain plates with enamel dots -- I don't actually know whether you call them Mandalas, but they have the same effect with me. Here are a few I've done.
Sorry some of the photos are not as clear as I'd like.

Val. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2007/38312-Mandala_--_Enamel_Valerie_design_2..jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2007/38312-Mandala_--_Enamel_Michaela_Plate..jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2007/38312-Mandala_--_Enamel_Apricot_and_Brown_Floral..jpg

spiral_world
11-29-2007, 04:04 AM
they are beautiful val....the last one is my favorite :)
glad to se growing amount of people who love this kind of expression

dragica

dolors
11-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Wow Val, these are terrific! I love specially the first one, all these little flowers. For me these are mandalas, and don't doubt you became lost inside one of these beautiful drawings. Excellent work!

TeriC
11-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Val, what a wonderful way to display your mandalas. So unique and oh so beautiful!!

Teri

TeriC
11-29-2007, 06:16 PM
I am working on the first chapter of the book and realized how much I don't understand about mandala. I always knew I got totally lost (in the zone)when making one and after reading I am starting to understand why. And a whole lot more:).

I did the first exercise called, 'Creating a scale of light'. It is done on black paper with white colored pencils with no directions other than do it intuitively.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2007/82043-man_ex_1.jpg
Apparently it builds from there.

I am anxious to see what you do from your book.

Teri

spiral_world
11-30-2007, 02:33 AM
loks very intereseting....at first glance I thought it's arabic or tibetan letters :)

dragica

dolors
11-30-2007, 03:30 AM
Here looking and reading you with interest.
I'm reading also Jeanne Carbonetti book "the Zen of Creative painting" it has a complete chapter on mandalas, I have a lot to learn. It is fantastic to share it with you.

TeriC
11-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Good morning. I just finished my 'leaf a day' for November and decided to do a leaf mandala in celebration.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2007/82043-leaf_mandala.jpg
Since I never know where a mandala will take me, I was surprised to see those daisies. I really shouldn't be surprised because I love daisies and it is the name of my Blog :)

So happy for this subject.

Teri

spiral_world
11-30-2007, 02:29 PM
daisies are just lovely :)...you gave us tuch of spring in these coll windy days (at least in Croatia )

dragica

valchina612
11-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Teri, this is so colourful -- I love it. I'm enjoying these Mandalas so much. :clap: :clap:

Steff
11-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Valchina,

Your plates are extraordinary. I would have thought that they were machine made with their perfect symmetry. You must have a lot of patiences and a very steady hand. Nothing about my work is symmetrical, nor do I think it is within me to be symmetrical, so I guess mandalas are out for me. Though I can still enjoy viewing other's work in Mandalas:)

TeriC
12-04-2007, 06:42 PM
How are you all doing with your mandala's and books?
I just did the second exercise and it was very interesting. There is a CD that gives directions to each exercise and meditation is also involved. This is my light within that has emerged. Some of the examples in the book are quite beautiful!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2007/82043-man_2.jpg
I want to do this one again before I move on.

Teri

devs66
12-05-2007, 01:29 AM
they are beautiful val....the last one is my favorite :)
glad to se growing amount of people who love this kind of expression

dragica

I'll second that Val, really nice.

valchina612
12-05-2007, 04:20 AM
Thanks so much Steff and Devs for your kind comments. Just wish I had more time to do some more, but they'll have to wait I'm afraid.

Teri, that's a really bright and inspirational Mandela. Amazing what can be done with black and white.

spiral_world
12-05-2007, 05:23 AM
Steff...don't be affraid...there's no mistake....just dive into and show us piece of your inner world...it doesn't need to be symetrical :)

Teri...what a beauty...so simple and yet .... strong

dragica

TeriC
01-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Just wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2008/82043-ny_mandala.jpg
Now that the holiday season is coming to the end, I hope to do more reading in my mandala book.

I hope everyone is well and that 2008 will be a creative happy new year.

Teri

djszen
01-02-2008, 12:52 AM
:wave: :wave: Hi Guys. Happy New Year.

Dragica and Teri, this is my first Mandala. I posted it on a seperate thread so some of you others that see this will recognize it. I am posting it here because you two got me started.

Thanks!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TeriC
01-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Djszen, this is so simple and so beautiful!! What did you use to color it? And what kind of paper is it on? Inquiring minds learn by asking ;)

Teri

djszen
01-02-2008, 02:34 PM
:wave: Teri, Thank you and believe it or not, I used a 10" canvas board primed for acyrlic and oil that I had on hand. I used Pitt Artist brush pens for the black and dark pink, Prismacolor metallic marker for the gold and Marvy and Painters opaque white paint markers. It took many layers to cover the canvas but it worked!

I have one more round canvas board so I will try a different one on that.

Dave.

TeriC
01-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Wow, I never thought to use anything like that. Very creative use of material and I bet it took a lot of patience. But well worth it!:clap:

Teri

Corbasienne
01-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum. I found it yesterday through Teri's blog and took some time today doodling while I was watching "24" - the French version finally came out!!!
C&C welcome.
Greetings from France
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2008/123161-Mandala_Blume1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2008/123161-Mandala_FAQ.jpg

TeriC
01-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi Meinhild:wave: so happy to see you here and love your mandalas! That's when I usually do them, while watching TV and then the TV just fades away and I have no idea what was or is on.
These mandalas become so addicting!

:wave: Teri

IArtist
01-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Spiral world,

You are quite knowledgable when it comes to mandalas. The mandalas you draw are quite beautiful. I like the second one better than the first in your original posting. It is because I find the pattern in the second mandala to be more relaxing.

I've only drawn one mandala in my lifetime and it is the one which I use as my avatar. Please excuse me everyone for it is not a pen and ink drawing. However, I would like to share it in this thread due to it being drawn because of an uncontrolled inner energy. Thank you.

I've found all the mandala's posted on this thread to be quite beautiful and unique. Keep up the good work everyone!

Smiles,
Barbra
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2008/127581-Peace_friends.gif

TeriC
01-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Iartist, this is a beautiful avatar. There are no rules that say pen and ink are required. I think it is what you want to do. After this beauty, maybe you should another one to see what emerges.

Teri

IArtist
01-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Thank you Teri,

BTW I've enjoyed looking at your mandalas and artwork. You are very talented.

:) Smiles,
Barbra

valchina612
01-08-2008, 04:58 AM
Beautiful Mandalas everyone. Please keep them coming. :clap: :clap:

TeriC
01-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Everyone, this is the next exercise from Judith Cornell's "Mandala" book. It is called 'seeking the light within' and was supposed to be done with just white colored pencil but the light I see is white and colored light so that's what I did.

I am finding that after the meditation and construction of mandala I have such a wonderful feeling of well-being. Does anyone else get this feeling?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2008/82043-mandala_lite_in.jpg
Please excuse the white pencil dust all over. I guess I really got into it;)

Teri