PDA

View Full Version : Two Fast Floral Pieces

Deborah Secor
10-19-2007, 12:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2007/23609-DSCN7403.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2007/23609-DSCN7405.JPG

Each done in under an hour, the first as a demo for my class and the second while they painted, just for fun. On Wallis paper with a Createx Pure Pigments underpainting for the first one, and a pastel painted over with water as an underpainting for the second. Both on 12x18" paper.

I always love having flowers to paint. :heart: This bouquet is still begging for some attention and I hope I have some easel time today to do it justice. I want to do some smaller ones.

Your comments always appreciated. Thanks!

Deborah

Tressa
10-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Very loose, so fresh looking and spontaneous Deborah, I like them both , but really like the rose and the orange flowers in the first please post the finish when you get a chance to work on them.
Tres

Deborah Secor
10-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Sweetie, these are as done as they'll ever be! I don't take them one whit farther. I already signed and sealed them... :D If I noodled I'd take all that spontaneity away and be left with boring flowers. I sell these for less, because they aren't landscapes. Framed in a simple, clean contemporary way they really shine.

I agree--the top one pleases me more than the bottom, only because I like the purple, orange-yellow and red more than red-white-blue.

Deborah

Tressa
10-19-2007, 02:42 PM
oops! sorry, I misunderstood your reference to the bouquet needing more attention!!:lol: You meant the actual flowers, duh, LOL
Tres

Deborah Secor
10-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Hee hee...I actually want to paint more--thus "more attention"! :lol: I'm not communicating well (and I need to write! :eek:)

Deborah

Kathryn Day
10-19-2007, 03:41 PM
colorful, expressive, dynamic, what more could you ask for!

Deborah Secor
10-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks, Kathy!

Here's another quickie--this one on 6x9" paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2007/23609-DSCN7421.JPG
Deborah

bluefish
10-19-2007, 04:35 PM
I like the third one - not sure where the 'quick and dirty' theory is coming from? Do we have to knock things out rapidly because of sudden doom and the end is near or what? - It has always been my philosophy to create a pretty picture, one that someone will take home and enjoy for an eternity! - whether it took me one hour or one month, it has always been to produce an attractive painting(including creative, non-representational work)!

I'm happy that you find buyers for the 'quickies' - I'm just so attracted to your beautiful skies and landscapes that #1 and#2 above, don't excite me! But, to each his/her own!...........'bluefish'

Kathryn Wilson
10-19-2007, 06:22 PM
I find all 3 of these florals fresh and alive with wonderful texture and strokes. This is a wonderful way to loosen up if you feel you are getting too tight in your painting.

I've always loved Deborah's landscapes too, Bluefish, but I think Deborah should be applauded for trying some new and sharing it with us.

mikiwilla
10-19-2007, 06:48 PM
I like the freshness and energy in all three paintings, but I am really attracted to the first one. I like the composition with the vase included. I like the dark outline effect on the flowers and the leaves. It works really well. The colors are stunning. I love the orange and purple compliments. How fun!

Tracer
10-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Beautiful work....stunning in fact!

Tracy

Deborah Secor
10-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks, all of you. I really enjoy doing these paintings. :D

Deborah

Pinecone Conniff
10-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Usually I am not so interested in flower paintings...but these are awesome! Flowers with confidence, life and color!:thumbsup:

Annette

Deborah Secor
10-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks Anette. That's very nice to hear!

K Taylor-Green
10-19-2007, 09:44 PM
I love seeing someone branch out into something new, even if the style varies from their usual tried and true pieces,
Great experimentation, Deborah! The colors are bolder than what I usually see from you. Very exciting.

Andi Rebirth
10-19-2007, 09:54 PM
I think they are lovely, I am doing your fast and loose thing on my own, my camera is broken, need new one so I didnt post, but it does make an exciting painting. Some times we get bogged down with too many details, second guess ourseelves.
It works beautifully and these are proof. Andi

AliciaS
10-19-2007, 10:15 PM
i just love the third one that rose is spectacular!

Deborah Secor
10-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks, Kate! I just love that rich color...some newer Ludwigs just beckoned, you know?

Thanks Andrea Lea. Glad to hear you're trying the challenge. I agree--there something about thinking too much that invites over-detailing and, for me, overworking things. I hope we get to see your fast paintings sometime!

Thanks Alicia. I had the right colors for that rose...it helps!

Deborah

Elain
10-20-2007, 12:34 AM
I loved the first two but wow! the third with the red against the more neutral ochre colour!

I love how the suggestion of detail works.

Back to the practice board.:)

CindyW
10-20-2007, 01:00 AM
Love em all!!
Inspirational, as always.

Cindy

GaryNorthants
10-20-2007, 05:52 AM
Wow! I'm not a flowers fan much either but these are great. I would love to have seen your demo doing this. I am planning to try the fast and loose 10 as soon as time permits and would love to come close to replicating the energy you have in these. Great work
Gary

Karen Margulis
10-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Wow ! as always your work is so inspirational. Now you know I have to get some flowers and try this....and a new box of Ludwigs would be nice too! Very tempting! Thanks for sharing...wonderful as always!

karen

Snowbound
10-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Deborah, these are wonderful! I can't say more because so many others have already put my thoughts into words. I'll just add that I am impressed with how you are stretching yourself in all directions. As skilled and talented as you were already, you are simply blooming now. Your portraits, the loose landscapes, and now these delightful flowers. It is encouraging me to strike out more instead of feeling my way so cautiously-- thanks.

Dayle Ann

HarvestMoon
10-20-2007, 12:26 PM
these are great- esp. love the rose on the top one!!

Deborah Secor
10-20-2007, 02:23 PM
:D You all are making me happy with this encouragement... thanks!

Deborah

bnoonan
10-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Don't you just love these? they are almost whimsical and so energetic!

Keep them coming Deborah! Barb

Gilberte
10-21-2007, 01:53 PM
I dropped in on this thread by accident. Good ones, all of them. I kind of paint like this in watercolors but pastels are hard for me to handle because of the dust. I'm going to check out if I find more of your loose florals.

Deborah Secor
10-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks Barb! I still have the bouquet out in my nice cool studio where the blooms are lasting pretty well. (It's like a refrigerator out there!!) I may do a couple more tomorrow, if I can find time.

Gilberte, here's one other thread from last year sometime... gently abstracted florals (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380351) I often do an underpainting for these florals that looks watercolor-ish, then pastel over the top. That seems to keep me looser in some way. I'll have to go look at some of your work now.

Deborah

Colorix
10-22-2007, 04:08 AM
Hello Deborah, lovely 'colour-bursts'. How long does it take to reach where you are, painter-wise, where every piece you do is just fabulous?

These are very linear, and yet so alive and vibrant. My favourite is the second one, with the emotionally uplifting upgoing diagonal and the blue background that makes the flowers really pop out. Lucky students to be taught by you!

Charlie

Sonni
10-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Deborah,

The composition, spontaneity and looseness in the paintings are great. Whatis Createx pure pigment, and how did you use it?

Nancy Leone
10-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Deborah,
I love the first two....the strong fresh color and the line work!

cal studio
10-23-2007, 08:12 PM
These are all wonderful!! I love your colors and fresh approach!!

Cathleen

Deborah Secor
10-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Thank you all! :D

Deborah,

The composition, spontaneity and looseness in the paintings are great. Whatis Createx pure pigment, and how did you use it?

Createx is paint without the paint body--literally pure liquid pigment. It's bright and rich color, very vibrant. I may put 8 drops in the cup of a muffin tin and wet my 2" brush lightly, then just dab it sparingly in the pigment and I get a swash of brilliant color. I don't actually paint with it--I don't know how to handle a brush or paint much. I just lay in big blocks of color, let it dry and pastel over it.

I don't have a shot of the underpainting for any of these, but this is what the paints look like:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2007/23609-underptg004.jpg

Bright, huh? :D

Deborah

Sonni
10-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Oh, yeah, I could go for that! I sometimes use Tombow pens in a similar manner for underpaintings. Thanks!

just_DaR
10-24-2007, 05:33 AM
Wonderful!:clap: