GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Still life with guelder rose
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 40cm x 48cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is one of my last works. Autumn still life...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments...

Corby
10-19-2007, 06:44 PM
This is an enchanting still life . The color, composition, content, all are out of the ordinary. The mushrooms I cannot tell, they are too vague, looking somewhat like a Cornucopioides type or Lepista Nuda, or even a Cortinarius. The apple and the quince are beautifully done. The Guelder Rose...what would you do use it like cranberries? Its situation smack in the middle of the composition might be rethought. Instead of using the log to take up the upper half of the painting, the found woodland treasures might be grouped around it so as to really include it in the work. A tip: If you are painting those mushrooms and you have only a few, then paint a pile of them by making a small pile and repeat it, overlapping. Pick out the more beautiful or interesting and highlight it,want another? Just turn it around and paint it again.....lots of fun, its very creative and it works beautifully. I like the painting very much...I miss walking in the forest.

itsajem
10-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Nice looking work, I like your colors and paint treatments! I can't quite make out some of the objects in the photo, is a guelder rose invisable?

Candices_Creations
10-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Meira...is the guelder rose...like a berry?? pretty painting....

toraman
10-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Beautiful still life, which is a rare case.

Slurps
10-19-2007, 10:34 PM
I'd like this even more if the guelder berries weren't dead center in the comp. And if the log wasn't centered horizontally. And if you wouldn't have shown the frame in the photo.
It's a beautiful painting, but I get the feeling the photo isn't showing it true.

sophia-h
10-20-2007, 06:19 PM
wow! i like your use of colors. very interesting composition. :)

Meira
10-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Hello, dear friends!!! :wave:

First of all, I'd like to thank everybody for the nice comments and useful advices! CorvusKorax, John, Candices_Creations, Toraman, Slurps and Sophia-h, thank you very much :)!
I'm not sure if I translated from Russian the name of the berries wright :rolleyes:, I don't speak English very good, I'm sorry. Guelder rose looks like mountain-ash - another popular russian berry. And, CorvusKorax, I can only say how these mushrooms are called here in russian, but it won't tell you anything, I think :)
Before painting this work, I've studied Cezanne's still lifes. I know that my still life is different, but I was just trying to show the plastic of each object.
CorvusKorax, thank you for the tip, I like the idea of repeating, I'll use it next time. :)

La_
10-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Very nice Meira, I like it alot. Would suggest trying it in a dark, warm brown frame.

La

Meira
10-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Thank you, La! I will try to put my work in another frame, dark brown, may be it will look better in it.