PDA

View Full Version : ~Here's look'n at you~

lhoxie
10-19-2007, 03:25 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-19-2007/119115_heresluknatu.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: ~Here's look'n at you~
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 10 X 13
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I love the detail of the close up photograph, and the colors of the frog and background, that inspired this painting.<br><br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Your input is appreciated!

sabine2
10-19-2007, 04:55 AM
cool subject, colors and composition - I just find the signature disturbing (I always sign my paintings on the back) but that's a detail.

toraman
10-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Great frog. Maybe feet needs more details or are they just like that?

tony1
10-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Excellent.

thomas w
10-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Well done. Is the frog on a lightbox or something? The lighting is really cool. Great job on all the little dimples.
Thomas W

Candices_Creations
10-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Great texture on the frogs skin ! Interesting perspective....

lhoxie
10-19-2007, 02:53 PM
sabine,

I agree, for some unknown reason I signed it with a pen, when I usually paint my initials in a color that matches the painting. As soon as I signed it, I wanted to take it back. Maybe I will see if I can cover it, or at least lighten it with some paint.Thank you, and you have a great eye!

Toraman,

The photo of the painting isn't as clear as I would have liked, but I think I actually have more clarity in the watercolor than the original reference photo does.

Tony,

Thank you very much!

Thomas W and Candice,

Thank you both for your input. In the reference photo, the frog looks as if it is sitting on glass and lit from underneath. I wasn't sure how I was going to make the dimpling look real when I started, but tiny little dots of different shades worked really well.

I have one more question for all of you, I know it is okay to use the photo's posted on wetcanvas for reference photo's, but when I've used a reference photo from a search on the internet, I don't feel comfortable posting a copy of them here because of copywrite laws. I also don't want to refer someone to a website that I really don't know, for fear of computer viruses, etc. Is there any other way to do it?

Thank you all,

lhoxie

creodont
11-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Great frog. I used to have these. Red eyes are fascinating creatures........Unless you that poor cricket during feeding time....John

ejtupi
11-01-2007, 02:05 AM
There are some good threads on WC about copyright laws as they affect artists, especially when it comes to offering a picture for sale that's based on a copyrighted work. There are some really hazy issues about what's fair use and what's infringement. Of course, the flip side of the coin is the protection of your own work. Anyone who's selling their art needs to learn at least the basics of copyright law, especially if they have a view to making prints when selling the original.
I would just stick "copyright" (not "copywrite"...that refers to written stuff like scripts and such, I believe) in the search box and search the forums. It really is interesting if you plan on commercializing your art.

The frog is wild, by the way. I like the way he/she looks at the viewer without flinching.

lhoxie
11-01-2007, 05:19 PM
ejtupi,

I will check out the threads on copyright. Thank you so much for your help, and glad you enjoyed being "looked at"! ;)

lhoxie