PDA

View Full Version : demo..

AliciaS
10-18-2007, 01:23 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/118892-IMG_0492.JPG didn't care for her eyes at this poin...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/118892-IMG_0498.JPG finished..not everything i would like it to be..but i'm donehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/118892-IMG_0486.JPG this is the scary looking start....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/118892-IMG_0484.JPG still scary!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/118892-IMG_0487.JPG hope these aren't too much out of sequence...i had almost harder time trying to figure out how to submit this right than doing the painting! this is on suede matboard using nu-pastels...ask me questions and give critique please.....thanks !

AliciaS
10-18-2007, 01:26 PM
hay everyone i don't know where the rest of the photos went!!! i tried to submit them all ( they were different stages) i screw up!! this is not the finished painting...oh well...

AliciaS
10-18-2007, 01:28 PM
sorry everyone...here is the beginning..http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/118892-IMG_0484.JPG

PeggyB
10-18-2007, 01:35 PM
hopefully one of the guides can figure this out as I'm liking what I see here, and would be interested in seeing your progress....

oops - some electrical stuff going on here so best sign off the computer - high winds this time of year, and I hate that!

Peggy

chewie
10-18-2007, 02:52 PM
hope it gets figured out, this looks to be a super demo!

Elain
10-18-2007, 03:52 PM
This looks great. Beautiful colours.

To me, the eye on the left is too wide. There is too much white. Looking at one eye at a time, the focus is slightly different and I think the eye on the right has the iris not far enought to the left. Thinking of the eyes as spheres, like shine on apples, the irises need to be on the same spot. Hope this makes sense. I'm stting here wanting to show you by pointing at it.

You say this isn't the final and you were unhappy with the eyes, perhaps it is corrected in the later pics. I'm pulling up a chair and waiting to see the rest appear.

Tressa
10-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi Alicia and welcome to WC your work is beautiful!!
I love working on suede matboard.
Tres

Mary Brigid
10-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Alicia so gald you are getting this thread sorted. Its very difficult starting our here. If I can manage to do it you will too. I was dreadful when I first came here. This is a very interesting underpainting. I will be back Alicia to see how it progresses. I love your work
Mary Brigid

water girl
10-18-2007, 05:31 PM
A teaser, huh? I'll be check back on you later.:wink2:

Colorix
10-18-2007, 05:42 PM
:clap: Where is it?! Can't wait! Jumping up and down! :clap:

Charlie

Deborah Secor
10-18-2007, 05:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/118892-IMG_0484.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/118892-IMG_0486.JPG
this is the scary looking start....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/118892-IMG_0487.JPG
still scary!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/118892-IMG_0492.JPG
didn't care for her eyes at this point...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/118892-IMG_0498.JPG
finished..not everything i would like it to be..but i'm done

hope these aren't too much out of sequence...i had almost harder time trying to figure out how to submit this right than doing the painting! this is on suede matboard using nu-pastels...ask me questions and give critique please.....thanks !

Alicia, I moved things around for you!

Thanks so much for this demo. Wonderful work and very instructive to see the process.

Deborah

nana b
10-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Alicia, you should be really proud of this because it's wonderful!:thumbsup:

nana

BruceF
10-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Alicia,
Thanks for the demo. I always find these helpful.

It looks like you just are using a limited palette, is this correct? Also, what surface and size are you using?

Deborah,
Thanks for getting the pictures posted.

AliciaS
10-18-2007, 06:18 PM
thanks so much deborah you saved me.....i have no idea how you did that...thats amazing! NEXT time i will try to learn how to do it right before i do it..! for Brucef the size is about 8x10 and the pallet is pretty limited..i guess...purple an orangy red and alizarin red some greend some light blues (which i pretty much lost ) and fleh tones..yellow ochre burnt sienna and some neutral colors....the lights in the shadows are cool..light blues some greens ..also thanks for the critique elaine...

AliciaS
10-18-2007, 06:22 PM
hey guys deborah fixed it for me it is all on my other thread called DEMO....sorry for the screw up....

Deborah Secor
10-18-2007, 06:30 PM
If you don't mind, I think I'll ask the Moderators to merge the threads so you don't have too much confusion!

Deborah

AliciaS
10-18-2007, 07:07 PM
thank deborah that would help...

K Taylor-Green
10-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Ok, hope this is better and less confusing. *Sigh* Unless I did it backwards, which has been known to happen.
Alicia, this is a gorgeous piece. Isn't sueded mat board wonderful?

Deborah, as a personal aside, I LOVED the joke!

Tracer
10-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Alicia, thanks so much for this demo. I am so glad you did one before your show. A little shakey start with technical gliches, but great finish! I am so not good at critiquing or stating "artzy" verbage, but I thought that maybe the left eye (viewer's left) was directed downward while the other eye is not and possibly the nostrils are not in sink. If none of this makes sense, please disregard. I love your work and the colors are fantastic. You make your paintings seem so simple and light. Just beautiful!

Tracy

PeggyB
10-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Yipee! I knew someone would be able to help you Alicia - thanks Deborah. It was well worth the wait to see your progression.

Nice finish.
Peggy

Tracer
10-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Now that it's not so late and my eyes aren't blurry anymore and I am not stating what has already been said...here are my questions, I hope you don't mind my being so inquisitive.....but I just love your paintings. There's a freedom in them that is so refreshing.

Do you begin with one-three particular colors when beginning to layer?

Are there any guiding lines when you begin or do you just paint freehand?

Do you use the sides of your pastels only when painting your first layers?

Do you paint from photo reference or live mostly in your work?

Thank you again for the demo, it's great to have.

Tracy

Deborah Secor
10-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Deborah, as a personal aside, I LOVED the joke!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2007/23609-iconpound3vw.gif

Deborah

AliciaS
10-19-2007, 07:43 PM
i must say all my paintings look like that at the beginning...i don't do any drawing...my placement is done in big cool shapes on a neutral surface..using always only... the side of my stick.. i never use the point unless i am doing a tiny area like the corners of the mouth or a super highlight.. i am alwlays thinking shapes from big to small ..cool to warm..dark and middle and light shapes...shapes shapes shapes..i correct as i go along..( i think that is fairly obvious) i don't try to get everything right.in the beginning stages i work better if i can change it as i go....i know this is probably everything you have been told not to do ....but thats how i do it,,and it works for me..i work very fast and i don't use a stump or do any rubbing.....all corrections are done with a shape of another color over it...i paint almost exclusibely from photos but i try to paint from life as much as i can..karen ( watergirl) has seen a few of my demos and can testify to how scary they can look!

Jolanta
10-19-2007, 11:46 PM
This portrait is alife, and this is what counts! It doesn't matter how you do it, the final look is important. Congratulations!:clap: Beautiful work!:)
Jolanta

David Patterson
10-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Very nice demo Alicia...lovely final result!

GaryNorthants
10-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Hi, Thank you for doing this for us. So glad it got put together in one thread too, thanks Mods. As for the painting I love your style and your method of working makes perfect sense to me. Looking forward to seeing more of your work here.
Gary

BetsyPriesing
10-20-2007, 08:24 AM
wow this is great...such a reflective mood you have going, even with a bright color which would have suggested to me...."cheery".
I love seeing the process too, it' soo very helpful.

ILOVE YOU GUYS!!!

Tracer
10-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Alicia, thank you for answering my questions, I appreciate the courtesy you have shown me and the opportunity to learn as much as I can from your style of painting. Tracy

Deborah Secor
10-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I've rated this thread and hope it will go into the Library--there's just so much here to look at again and again!

Deborah

AliciaS
10-20-2007, 04:49 PM
thanks for all the great comments and critiques..deborah i'm not sure what rating a thread is and what library your talking about..but it sounds good to me...keep asking questions i always enjoy talking painting!

Alison2
10-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Gorgeous work, it's lovely to see her emerge on the page! Thanks so much for this demo!

Alison2

Deborah Secor
10-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Alicia, there's a rating system we can use for any thread. It's at the top of each page in the blue bar just above the first post--you'll see Rate Thread. A drop down menu is self-explanatory. I usually try to rate a good, informative thread so that our hard-working moderators will be able to easily spot the ones we think are worth keeping in The Pastel Library, which is a collection of useful and informative threads that are part of our Pastel Forum. It takes more than one person rating the thread for it to show up, but when it does you'll see several stars next to the title! (Go look at the Soft Pastel Forum and you'll see a couple threads with five stars.)

Deborah

Colorix
10-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Alicia, wonderul. You explain your method clearly. The results are so lovely. I'm glad it got sorted out so we could see and follow the execution of this wonderful painting.

Gonna rate it too!

Charlie

Elain
10-21-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm so glad Deborah sorted this out.

Alicia this is wonderful. It is very interesting seeing the progress, and how much it changed during the working up.

lisilk
10-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Hey! That's me! I only wish I looked half that good in person.:o lol:

The process you go through is so fascinating. ( Thanks Deborah for sorting it out.) It seems rather random ( which I know it isn't) at first then you pull it together and bring it to life with the lights so beautifully. It's like you are removing veils to reveal the final..or perhaps the other way around. Really beautiful work Alison. ( In spite of the subject.:p )

Li

AliciaS
10-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Hey that is you Li! thanks for the photo..i never mentioned it! being new here i haven't done some things very well i.e. posting the pictures right and thanking you for the use of your photo,,,,thanks to everyone and all their supportive comments......i will do this again sometime,,,i am now back a bit to normal since these fires are less of a concern for us...please keep all the others in your thoughts and prayers everyone....skies are still smokey a bit but alot of people have gone back to their homes.....i haven't painted at all for quite a while...can't wait to start.....Love and Peace...Al

Tracer
10-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Glad to hear everything is okay Al. It's really hard to go through that kind of scare, I know, I have been through all that before and it's pretty horrifying. Light some scented candles to get rid of the smokey smell, it should help. See you around the forum. Take care! Tracy

binkie
10-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Welcome, Alicia!

Your work is fabulous! Thanks so much for the demo.

binkie
I also live in Escondido

Jancee
10-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks for posting this, Alicia.....just wonderful.

*Marina*
10-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for sharing. Love to see the process. Great painting.

just_DaR
10-31-2007, 05:38 AM
This demo is simply great!! Thanks for sharing! :clap: